Electric Vehicles: Home charging, DC fast, standards, recommendations

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What this thread about?

EVs need to charge, so how does that work? How much does it cost? This thread will discuss the details of charging, how to choose the best product for your home, the differences between Level 1, Level and DC Fast Charging. Also rates and service plans, and all the details of the different charging specifications.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So this is interesting / weird. In some states (in the US), the charging is billed by time as opposed to kW, and it's prorated based on the charging speed (it has something to do with how the state regulates billing).

For example:

0-60kW $0.12/minute
60-100kW $0.31/minute
100-180kW $0.58/minute
180-250kW $0.93/minute

I'd assume we'd easily hit the top rate (battery preconditioned), and that should be ~15 miles a minute, so like 7 minutes would be 105 miles added at a cost of $6.51, so ~0.06 a mile if everything is optimal.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
So this is interesting / weird. In some states (in the US), the charging is billed by time as opposed to kW, and it's prorated based on the charging speed (it has something to do with how the state regulates billing).

For example:

0-60kW $0.12/minute
60-100kW $0.31/minute
100-180kW $0.58/minute
180-250kW $0.93/minute

I'd assume we'd easily hit the top rate (battery preconditioned), and that should be ~15 miles a minute, so like 7 minutes would be 105 miles added at a cost of $6.51, so ~0.06 a mile if everything is optimal.
The best is to charge at home, where rates are by KWh. And in some areas, you not only get a discounted rate for EV charging, you also get cheaper rates overnight, when you are most likely to be charging the vehicle.

In areas where people have to park on the street or in a shared garage, they need to create more affordable charging methods. As for the highway stops with fast charging, I believe there will always be a substantially higher price for the speed and convenience.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The best is to charge at home, where rates are by KWh.

Absolutely, I've written extensively about how home charging is the real game changer, both in convenience and cost, but this was specifically in the context of travelling, where you might need to use a DCFC (in this case, a SuC specifically) on the road.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just a general FYI for people looking to install a circuit/receptacle for a plug-in (vs. hard-wired) EVSE:

Not all receptacles are equal and we're dealing with ~10,000 watts. The N14-50 and 6-50 from many big box stores, and the unless-you-ask option you'll get with a lot of installs, is a Leviton, which is fine for light switches and such, for those higher spec outlets, look into a Bryant or Hubbell, or if you're near a Lowes, their in-store brand Utilitech are a good bit better than the Leviton.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The trouble with this topic is it is very country specific. I’m still waiting to sort out a date with my electrician to install a zappi charger.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Since owning the Tesla, home charging is the biggest benefit. Took a trip for a couple of hundred miles for work yesterday, came home and plugged in over night and had a full charge again in the morning. It's not just the price of gas, it's the convenience of never having to worry about going to them either.

Would it be gloating to refer to ICE drivers as muggles now, I mean how soon is too soon for such a statement?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The trouble with this topic is it is very country specific. I’m still waiting to sort out a date with my electrician to install a zappi charger.

Feel free to add some UK specific content! We can even sticky it.

BTW, I looked up that Zappi charger when you first posted about, looks like a solid product.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Feel free to add some UK specific content! We can even sticky it.

BTW, I looked up that Zappi charger when you first posted about, looks like a solid product.
No worries. Just an observation. Yes it looks like a good choice if you have solar etc. I don’t at this stage. But one day hopefully.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Since owning the Tesla, home charging is the biggest benefit. Took a trip for a couple of hundred miles for work yesterday, came home and plugged in over night and had a full charge again in the morning. It's not just the price of gas, it's the convenience of never having to worry about going to them either.

Would it be gloating to refer to ICE drivers as muggles now, I mean how soon is too soon for such a statement?
Can you wait until I get mine delivered? I don’t want to be a muggle!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Would love to know how many miles I have remaining based on charge. For example, if I have 60 miles to go and 25% battery left, say at 65 MPH it would calculate estimated mileage based on that. Is there something that will do that? I did try the EEVE app but it was more confusing than anything, seems like this would be a standard feature. 🤷‍♂️

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
IMG_5086.jpeg

Charging etiquette at public chargers need to be addressed especially at airports. First time( and last!) trying out the free chargers at my airport, only to wake up this morning to discover someone unplugged my car.

Not that I am too upset over them unplugging me as my car was long finished recharging( though this person certainly didn't know that). My bigger issue here is what did they do with my J1772 adapter. I suspect they are using it for their Tesla. I get back tonight and if he is still there, I will be forced to unplug his car. Not only should they not be using someone else's property( probably ignorant to the fact the adapter is not apart of the charger itself), fear is if they leave before I return they take the adapter or my adapter gets damaged due to their carelessness.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Not that I am too upset over them unplugging me as my car was long finished recharging( though this person certainly didn't know that). My bigger issue here is what did they do with my J1772 adapter.

I thought the Tesla_to_J adapter locked on the Tesla side if your car is locked[?] So if they unplugged the charger it would just be the J connect (and your adapter would just be handing in the port ...)

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I thought the Tesla_to_J adapter locked on the Tesla side if your car is locked[?] So if they unplugged the charger it would just be the J connect (and your adapter would just be handing in the port ...)
Thought so too.

Googled it and apparently not. And the app confirms the charge port door is closed.

Either I’m going to come back to a broken charge port because the asshole yanked it out since it was locked or a missing adapter. And for some reason, when the car wanted to charge some more, the charger didn’t want to work so I turned off sentry mode to reduce battery drain. So if the port is broken, I can’t prove it was the Tesla next to me in that screenshot though went to bed with it plugged in and no one next to me and woke up unplugged and that guy next to me.

Top Bottom
1 2