Electric Vehicles: General topics

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was just wondering, especially with the range requirement, seems like most inexpensive EVs are topping out at around 300 miles. I wouldn’t want to go back to ICE (aside for some specific vehicles once the kids are out of the house).

I said 320 because, in my experience, I get about 70 percent of the rated range in actual driving.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
I said 320 because, in my experience, I get about 70 percent of the rated range in actual driving.
Ah, that is fair. I sometimes wish Tesla would use a GOM for range instead of the ”fixed” ideal (EPA) rating. So far it looks like other EV makers are being quite conservative on range ratings (or at least more conservative than Tesla, lol).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Ah, that is fair. I sometimes wish Tesla would use a GOM for range instead of the ”fixed” ideal (EPA) rating. So far it looks like other EV makers are being quite conservative on range ratings (or at least more conservative than Tesla, lol).
EPA range depends on how you drive it. I get more range than the rating for my car, but I drive mostly in the city, and on the highway I generally drive the speed limit. If you are going 65 mph+, the range goes way down. So if you’re going to take a long highway trip at that speed or above, drop 10-20% off the expected range.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
EPA range depends on how you drive it. I get more range than the rating for my car, but I drive mostly in the city, and on the highway I generally drive the speed limit. If you are going 65 mph+, the range goes way down. So if you’re going to take a long highway trip at that speed or above, drop 10-20% off the expected range.

I drive mostly highway miles, at the speed limit (65). the in-car range estimates are always vastly optimistic in my model s, unless I go to pains to keep the range up (range mode, drive slower than the speed limit, be very careful about using the accelerator, etc.)

I only charge the car about 60% full. Drive around 45 miles round trip every day, which takes about 65-75 miles of ”estimated range.” Every once in awhile I forget to plug it in, so I need the car to have 90 miles of actual range when charged to 60%.

Never have range anxiety or anything, given that the car, when new, had a supposed range of 300 miles. I’ve only had to use superchargers when doing weekend trips or the like.

(Of course, the estimated range to actual range ratio has changed over the years, both because of battery aging and because Tesla has modified its formulas several times)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
EPA range depends on how you drive it.

It should be even better for you, LR config has better range and I drive like an asshole :D

troll-face-logo-A3A07A678C-seeklogo.com.png

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I drive mostly highway miles, at the speed limit (65). the in-car range estimates are always vastly optimistic in my model s, unless I go to pains to keep the range up (range mode, drive slower than the speed limit, be very careful about using the accelerator, etc.)

I only charge the car about 60% full. Drive around 45 miles round trip every day, which takes about 65-75 miles of ”estimated range.” Every once in awhile I forget to plug it in, so I need the car to have 90 miles of actual range when charged to 60%.

Never have range anxiety or anything, given that the car, when new, had a supposed range of 300 miles. I’ve only had to use superchargers when doing weekend trips or the like.

(Of course, the estimated range to actual range ratio has changed over the years, both because of battery aging and because Tesla has modified its formulas several times)
So how much range have you lost over the years? That is probably what concerns me as someone who buys second hand, then keeps hold for a few years. What’s the range going to drop to and how does that effect my resale value?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So how much range have you lost over the years? That is probably what concerns me as someone who buys second hand, then keeps hold for a few years. What’s the range going to drop to and how does that effect my resale value?

I honestly have no idea. Since the reported range has changed formulas over the years, I can’t rely on that. And I have never tried running it from full to empty, so I have no way to compare. I’m pretty sure on a full charge I could eke out 200 miles, but not sure much over that.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

According to my buddy: his Model X,which is ~5 years old and has 90K miles, lost about 8-9% (based on his analytics/apps/etc), then the battery totally crapped out, and since it has an 8 year / 150K warranty for that component, it now has a brand new battery at no cost :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I charged mine to 100% because I was planning on a day trip, all in all about 4.5 hours worth of driving through the mountains and I still came back with 40% remaining. The ABRP (better routeplanner) pretty much nailed it, I still came in slightly above its prediction but considering all the variables it wa impressive.

I also noticed that when charged to 100% that there was seemingly no regenerative breaking until I got down to the low 90s and I had to actually apply breaks which is something I rarely have to do, it was like a regular car in that sense. Just guessing that maybe the car is accounting for that and letting it roll until it wants to start putting it back into the battery. 🤷‍♂️

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I charged mine to 100% because I was planning on a day trip, all in all about 4.5 hours worth of driving through the mountains and I still came back with 40% remaining. The ABRP (better routeplanner) pretty much nailed it, I still came in slightly above its prediction but considering all the variables it wa impressive.

I also noticed that when charged to 100% that there was seemingly no regenerative breaking until I got down to the low 90s and I had to actually apply breaks which is something I rarely have to do, it was like a regular car in that sense. Just guessing that maybe the car is accounting for that and letting it roll until it wants to start putting it back into the battery. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, regen lowers as you approach 100% charge, the lines at the top that indicate battery use vs. battery [regenerative] charge, change to a dashed/dotted line, and at least I know in the past I've seen a message popup when you "start" the car that also shows something like "REGEN BRAKING REDUCED"

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Do you have your braking configured to come to a complete halt? Now when I drive other cars, that they don't stop on their own seems to odd :D The Teslas service guy this morning said so many of them never need brake pads, even the Performance flavors unless they're specifically driven regularly at track events.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Do you have your braking configured to come to a complete halt? Now when I drive other cars, that they don't stop on their own seems to odd :D The Teslas service guy this morning said so many of them never need brake pads, even the Performance flavors unless they're specifically driven regularly at track events.
Not sure, what setting is that? I have it set to whatever the default was when I bought the car.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’ve had my model S since 2013, and I bring it in for annual service every year, and they haven’t had to replace the pads yet.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Not sure, what setting is that? I have it set to whatever the default was when I bought the car.

Not sure about the default, in V11, [Car Icon] >> Pedals & Power >> Stopping Mode there's Creep / Roll / Stop. Stop will come to a complete halt by simply lifting the accelerator, once you get the distance/timing down, it's amazing, I literally drive with one foot 98% of the time (my hot approach to the turn into my area requires the brake :D)

I’ve had my model S since 2013, and I bring it in for annual service every year, and they haven’t had to replace the pads yet.

That just blows my mind. I've experience the extreme the other direction, going through a brand new set of pads and part of another over an event weekend!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not sure about the default, in V11, [Car Icon] >> Pedals & Power >> Stopping Mode there's Creep / Roll / Stop. Stop will come to a complete halt by simply lifting the accelerator, once you get the distance/timing down, it's amazing, I literally drive with one foot 98% of the time (my hot approach to the turn into my area requires the brake :D)
Oh that setting, yeah it's set to stop.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

That just blows my mind. I've experience the extreme the other direction, going through a brand new set of pads and part of another over an event weekend!

When the Model S first came out, the stop mode was MUCH more aggressive. You could really feel it braking hard. I like it. After about a year they modified it by software update, and I found myself using the brakes more, but for the first year or so i almost never touched the brake pedal.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My Performance model has some nice additional control over this when you're running in Track Mode, you can get F&F in a drift yo!

IMG_0824_1200.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My Performance model has some nice additional control over this when you're running in Track Mode, you can get F&F in a drift yo!

View attachment 11100
I definitely do not see these settings in my long range model. I'm old though so I don't imagine I would really use any of these, yesterday I was doing 50 and punched it for fun on a straight stretch with no traffic and it went to 80 and pinned my head against the seat in the blink of an eye, I think what I have is good. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom
1 2