Electric Vehicles: General topics

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I keep seeing people complaining about phantom braking with their Tesla's. The vast majority describe it occurring on local roads. To me that is an inappropriate time to be using adaptive cruise control( let alone autopilot).et.

Or am I totally off base here?

Aside from Tesla's or any car with autopilot or basic cruise control. It should never be used on secondary roads. Never. Learned that at 16 when I put my parent's Suburban in the ditch when CC took me too fast around a corner.

So, not off base one bit.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think any cruise control, no matter how advanced or stupid, is the work of the devil and should not be used by any one, at any time, except for roadworks with speed limits enforced by the spawn of Satan himself - the average speed camera.
In my experience adaptive cruise control (with or without autosteer capabilities) is the coolest thing since sliced bread, particularly when it comes to rush hour traffic. What I once detested about driving has turned into relaxing downtime and and speed under 30 MPH, just let the car do everything in slow motion and relax.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Aside from Tesla's or any car with autopilot or basic cruise control. It should never be used on secondary roads. Never. Learned that at 16 when I put my parent's Suburban in the ditch when CC took me too fast around a corner.

So, not off base one bit.
How long has it been since you were 16? ;) There have been a lot of advancements. At least with the Tesla when in autopilot mode you cannot go more than 5 MPH over, and if you try to force it, it will disengage on you and remove your ability to use it for the rest of that drive.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
How long has it been since you were 16? ;) There have been a lot of advancements. At least with the Tesla when in autopilot mode you cannot go more than 5 MPH over, and if you try to force it, it will disengage on you and remove your ability to use it for the rest of that drive.

I can go well above 5 over the limit on autopilot. Just turn that option off.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Almost 40 years. LOL.

This wasn't because I was exceeding the limit. It was a curve on a 55mph 2-lane. You know, the kind with the yellow 40 mph advisory limits and a an arrow.

That does bring up a good question about autopilot. One thing I did have drilled into my head, mainly because we had lots of roads with nice dropoffs at the edge, was not to jerk it back on the road. So that is probably what kept me in the ditch and not flipped upside down on the other side.

So how would autopilot handle somehting like that? So lets say you came around a turn and it was a little bit slick and dropped the right side tires off the road. Would it try to bring you back on or simply apply the brakes and slow you to a stop?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Almost 40 years. LOL.

This wasn't because I was exceeding the limit. It was a curve on a 55mph 2-lane. You know, the kind with the yellow 40 mph advisory limits and a an arrow.

That does bring up a good question about autopilot. One thing I did have drilled into my head, mainly because we had lots of roads with nice dropoffs at the edge, was not to jerk it back on the road. So that is probably what kept me in the ditch and not flipped upside down on the other side.

So how would autopilot handle somehting like that? So lets say you came around a turn and it was a little bit slick and dropped the right side tires off the road. Would it try to bring you back on or simply apply the brakes and slow you to a stop?
This is a great question and I've had a little experience with it already and I think there's a bit of a learning curve here. When in autopilot (with autosteer on the Tesla at least) you have to either tap the breaks or jerk slightly on the wheel and IMO that can be dangerous if you over correct while pulling on it. I've just resigned to giving the breaks a slight tap to get out of it, seems to work okay.

However, if there is a hard edge on a narrow rural road I simply don't use those features and manually drive it. It does keep lanes nearly perfectly but sometimes it gets a little too close to the edge for my taste so I pretty much reserve that for highway travel.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yep. I have set 10-15 MPH over without issues.
No shit? Okay, I'll have to look for that setting, I can't stand that it penalizes me like that and have just leaned to keep my foot off the gas.

Edit: where is this setting?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
In my experience adaptive cruise control (with or without autosteer capabilities) is the coolest thing since sliced bread, particularly when it comes to rush hour traffic. What I once detested about driving has turned into relaxing downtime and and speed under 30 MPH, just let the car do everything in slow motion and relax.
Absolutely. Love it in my Golf. I drove a van the other week with standard CC. It felt so basic!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yep. I have set 10-15 MPH over without issues.

"Sir, would you mind stepping out of the car ..."

12-11-17-Trooper-1-tle-560x840.jpg

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
No shit? Okay, I'll have to look for that setting, I can't stand that it penalizes me like that and have just leaned to keep my foot off the gas.

Edit: where is this setting?
NoA City Streets allows local roads to be set to “any” speed you want (Like on highway) instead of the 5 mph limit. Though the car will reset the speed anytime it passes a speed limit sign that is different than the one you set the speed you wanted to go at (does that make sense?).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
NoA City Streets allows local roads to be set to “any” speed you want (Like on highway) instead of the 5 mph limit. Though the car will reset the speed anytime it passes a speed limit sign that is different than the one you set the speed you wanted to go at (does that make sense?).

Yes and that would be an awesome feature. We have some 4-lanes here that go from limited-access (exit/entry ramps) to regular access and the speed limit changes. And the police know just where to sit to catch people with cruise control not realizing the speed limit drops from 70 to 60. And since most were doing above 70, they get a 10+ over ticket.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't know what "NoA City Streets is", so no. I wish people wouldn't automatically assume we know all the acronyms and just spell it out the first time.

I know Autopilot and I know FSD, if anyone cares to enlighten me that would be great.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
NoA == Navigate on Autopilot (aka, take me from A to B ...)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
NoA == Navigate on Autopilot (aka, take me from A to B ...)
One thing I question is when you have to disable autopilot (autosteer) for a lane change, you have the following options after turning on the signal:
1) force the steering wheel out of it
2) tap the breaks

The only reason you'll turn on your signal is to change a lane, so why won't it automatically disengage rather than forcing you to do it manually?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't know what "NoA City Streets is", so no. I wish people wouldn't automatically assume we know all the acronyms and just spell it out the first time.

I know Autopilot and I know FSD, if anyone cares to enlighten me that would be great.

Some of the confusion is around the term FSD, which isn't a specific feature, it's a package of features (and related hardware).

Full Self-Driving Capability (FSD)

Includes:

Navigate on Autopilot (NoA)
Auto Lane Change
Autopark
Summon
Full Self-Driving Computer
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Top Bottom
1 2