Electric Vehicles: General topics

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Some of the confusion is around the term FSD, which isn't a specific feature, it's a package of features (and related hardware).

Full Self-Driving Capability (FSD)

Includes:

Navigate on Autopilot (NoA)
Auto Lane Change
Autopark
Summon
Full Self-Driving Computer
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
Yeah, everything up to the last two lines USED to be called Enhanced Autopilot. Then Tesla listened to ”people” and instead of having that whole packge for 5k they took Autosteer and TACC out and made it 3k (and the rest of the features got lumped under FSD for 5k on top of the 3k). THEN folks complained about that so they increased the price of the cars and made AP (Autosteer and TACC) ”standard”. All in the span of a month or two IIRC.

THEN they started the price spiraling.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Even more confusing with an international audience is that these features are spread differently, if you buy a Tesla in a country like the UK, for example.
Yeah Europe I think still gets Enhanced Autopilot because reasons (really because it is less likely FSD will get approved there anytime soon).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Turns out all but one of the screws holding the temporary rear paper temporary license plate came loose and fell out and the plate is now gone after my latest trip. Didn't think I should've had to check that but it is what it is. Using the second one now and ordering new replacement screws from Amazon, just hoping someone doesn't steal/use the other one to avoid tolls, something huge in the Bay Area.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I can go well above 5 over the limit on autopilot. Just turn that option off.

With autosteer?

No shit? Okay, I'll have to look for that setting, I can't stand that it penalizes me like that and have just leaned to keep my foot off the gas.

Edit: where is this setting?

Yep. I have set 10-15 MPH over without issues.
Got nailed again for this yesterday. @quagmire or @DT how do I change this setting?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Got nailed again for this yesterday. @quagmire or @DT how do I change this setting?

I think it's all in these controls in the Autopilot config:

IMG_0847_1200.jpeg

IMG_0846_1200.jpeg

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Been meaning to get involved here because my wife and I want to get an electric vehicle.

A bit of off topic - my friend has a Tesla (series 3) is currently without power and has been been for 3 days since we had some high winds here in southern CA. He has a Jackery 1000 that he charges with his Tesla, then uses that to keep his refrigerator/devices charged, then heads off to the super charger to charge his Tesla. A near full Jackery charge takes his Tesla down from 250 miles to 225 miles.

That's some pretty great utility there. He showed me a video of him watching some TV on his Tesla screen too.

My wife and I have 2 civics - almost completely paid off - I think our payments together are in the high $700s (total, for both cars). We spend about $150-$160/mo on gas. (Used to be 2.5x but I don't drive anymore). So $860/mo - if we got rid of our cars, got an electric vehicle - I think the $ would work.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Been meaning to get involved here because my wife and I want to get an electric vehicle.

A bit of off topic - my friend has a Tesla (series 3) is currently without power and has been been for 3 days since we had some high winds here in southern CA. He has a Jackery 1000 that he charges with his Tesla, then uses that to keep his refrigerator/devices charged, then heads off to the super charger to charge his Tesla. A near full Jackery charge takes his Tesla down from 250 miles to 225 miles.

That's some pretty great utility there. He showed me a video of him watching some TV on his Tesla screen too.

My wife and I have 2 civics - almost completely paid off - I think our payments together are in the high $700s (total, for both cars). We spend about $150-$160/mo on gas. (Used to be 2.5x but I don't drive anymore). So $860/mo - if we got rid of our cars, got an electric vehicle - I think the $ would work.
I wouldn't buy a EV to save money on fuel.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
But you will save on it, unless gas prices go way down. Additionally, if you have a home charging solution you'll never look back. It's both cheaper and more convenient.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

There are some new vehicles coming out that will have the capability to supply power back out. Like the upcoming Ford Lightning (truck) has an a connector option on the charger, that lets you connect the car and power your entire house! And keep in mind these vehicles have massive batteries, like that Jackery is 1kW vs. a Model 3 that has an 82kW battery :D

Gas savings can be pretty terrific, the thing that totally throws off the comparison is you can get an EV that's as fast as a high performance car, but has better consumables cost than a tiny econobox.

It's pretty easy to get a sense of the cost, savings, etc., just take a car like a Tesla Model LR, it's documented at 358 miles for a full charge, that's an EPA estimate, so just call it a nice even 300 to accommodate real world range (running the heater, etc.) With an 82 kWh battery, that's 300 miles at the cost of charging 82 kW, if your power rate is $0.11/kW (that's actually mine), that's ~$9 to go 300 miles - to think about it another way, if gas was $3/g, the ICE MPG equivalence would be 100MPG. :D

Of course that doesn't factor in the home charging convenience, the brisk performance, the quiet, emissions free operation, the superior design opportunities when you remove transmission, gas tanks, etc.

I see you're in CA, I think you have a lot of options for off peak charging at a notable cost reduction, and that's all easily coordinated through the car interface, smart charging, etc.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I did this. I mentioned it elsewhere, but I got my EV for about $25K, and got the $7500 tax credit... so it cost the same as a “regular” car and I haven’t had to buy gas since 2016

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
I did this. I mentioned it elsewhere, but I got my EV for about $25K, and got the $7500 tax credit... so it cost the same as a “regular” car and I haven’t had to buy gas since 2016
Charging at home is great, but I have noticed DCFC abroad is getting more expensive. I drove to Orlando in 2019 and back to VA Beach for like 75 dollars round trip, I am pretty sure it isn't that cheap anymore.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

You should try to come up with an estimate of fuel savings. I know there's been a decent amount of gas price fluctuation over that time, but you could probably find some average prices in X for N year.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Charging at home is great, but I have noticed DCFC abroad is getting more expensive. I drove to Orlando in 2019 and back to VA Beach for like 75 dollars round trip, I am pretty sure it isn't that cheap anymore.
I'm paying .09 per kilowatt in CA between midnight and 6:00 AM, our power company subsidizes for the EV and we figure we're paying about 1/3 what we were at the pump when all is said and done. Not sure about other parts of the country but there is no question that it's way cheaper than gas at current prices.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@diamond.g is talking specifically about DCFC (Superchargers), but I'd think even with those being closer to current gas prices, you still have to factor in the how much those are used vs. home charging. I can say, that in the ~3700 miles on our M3P that have included about 10 or so trips to Orlando (MCO and Universal, so about 250-260 mile round trip), could all have been done on home or (free) destination charging (I say "could" since I used those trips to burn some of my free SuC mileage :D)

At least in our case, even if we go down to The Keys, or make a road trip to PA, we'd still be like 95% home charging rates by mileage.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
He has a Jackery 1000 that he charges with his Tesla, then uses that to keep his refrigerator/devices charged, then heads off to the super charger to charge his Tesla. A near full Jackery charge takes his Tesla down from 250 miles to 225 miles.

Wasn't it Tesla that was going to make 10K battery packs for the home to either store solar or replace backup generators.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
the thing that totally throws off the comparison is you can get an EV that's as fast as a high performance car, but has better consumables cost than a tiny econobox.

No, what you really get is a family sedan than will smoke all but the $$$$$ supercars. :D

Top Bottom
1 2