Electric Vehicles: General topics

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
^^^ :ROFLMAO: So I'm not as grown-up as I may have thought...
When I was a teenager my mom told me she would know when I had grown up when I no long found farts funny.

Told her I wasn't ever going to grow up then. Still haven't. :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@TeslaPeople ...

Got my jacking pucks - they stink. I mean, literally, they have a strong rubber smell, I've sure you've encountered products like this, zero issues, it will dissipate, they come in a net type bag, they're hanging in the garage.

I did a test install, just terrific. The o-ring makes it stay in the jacking spot hands free, then you can just roll your jack underneath and go to it. I didn't actually lift the car, I'll do that tomorrow for the new tire.

It was this product, and currently 10% off (so only ~$18):

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm also about 98% ready to pull the trigger on one of these:

Full kit with the wheel/tire, jack/tools and case. It won't fit in the frunk, __but__ you can put something else up there to somewhat offset the space it takes in the trunk. When we do a lot of our "regular" trips, we typically have 3 rollers, and 2 backpacks. If it's a Universal trip we take our larger cooler which fits nicely into the trunk well (almost flush), so we could do spare kit, 2 rollers, cooler, 3rd roller in the frunk and all other bags, plushies, etc., in the interior (which is really roomy, and we only have one person in the back seat).

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Best demonstration of the Ioniq 5's back seats. Pretty amazing.

That looks pretty interesting - the tech and styling.

What are your (and other's) thoughts about the Ioniq 5?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

It's a solid entry into the EV market, Hyundai has been killing it for decades. It has a few neat features like 800V tech (really more of a future tech), I dig on the styling, it fills a good spot with pretty good cargo space without being an SUV. RWD and AWD options, which is cool for covering different price segments.

Pretty good charging rate, pretty good range, acceptable performance, good entry points on the lower and higher end.

Right now, my preferences in performance, range, charging network still favors Tesla, but it's good enough for a consideration, not unlike the VW ID.4 :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's a solid entry into the EV market, Hyundai has been killing it for decades. It has a few neat features like 800V tech (really more of a future tech), I dig on the styling, it fills a good spot with pretty good cargo space without being an SUV. RWD and AWD options, which is cool for covering different price segments.

Pretty good charging rate, pretty good range, acceptable performance, good entry points on the lower and higher end.

Right now, my preferences in performance, range, charging network still favors Tesla, but it's good enough for a consideration, not unlike the VW ID.4 :)
Hyundai also purchased Boston Dynamics so it looks like they're making a serious play into the tech arena. It's nice to see them all making the foray into this, it's only a matter of time before the internal combustion engine becomes a thing of the past.

U

User.45

I’m almost decided to sell my i3 and replace it with the ioniq 5. It seems to be the ideal family car with it's rolling, reclining back seats.
What both Ioniq 5 and ID.4 got right is their panoramic roofs having a rolling shade. The fact that the Ioniq 5s center console can roll back and forward means I can enter/exit using the passenger door when parking on busy streets wo compromising the utility of the back seats.

I love the look, except for the Hyundai logo. They need to switch up that logo to something symmetrical, because its asymmetry breaks any design. Limited version (rolling center console, Bose sound system, panoramic roof, etc) Costs about $52K - $7.5 federal incentive. AWD is $4K extra on this trim and comes with a heat pump. I think that's not worth it, unless you really want the performance.

M3's price is comparable and it seems like a better enthusiast car, but the IQ5 sounds like a better family car. The extended range ID.4 looks pretty good too, but the dealbreaker there is the ridiculously choppy GUI. The IQ5's Bose system is reportedly super mediocre though. That's where it's KIA EV6 cousin sounds better equipped (14 speaker Meridian vs 7.1 Bose).

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I’m almost decided to sell my i3 and replace it with the ioniq 5. It seems to be the ideal family car with it's rolling, reclining back seats.
What both Ioniq 5 and ID.4 got right is their panoramic roofs having a rolling shade. The fact that the Ioniq 5s center console can roll back and forward means I can enter/exit using the passenger door when parking on busy streets wo compromising the utility of the back seats.

I love the look, except for the Hyundai logo. They need to switch up that logo to something symmetrical, because its asymmetry breaks any design. Limited version (rolling center console, Bose sound system, panoramic roof, etc) Costs about $52K - $7.5 federal incentive. AWD is $4K extra on this trim and comes with a heat pump. I think that's not worth it, unless you really want the performance.

M3's price is comparable and it seems like a better enthusiast car, but the IQ5 sounds like a better family car. The extended range ID.4 looks pretty good too, but the dealbreaker there is the ridiculously choppy GUI. The IQ5's Bose system is reportedly super mediocre though. That's where it's KIA EV6 cousin sounds better equipped (14 speaker Meridian vs 7.1 Bose).

Thanx for your thoughts - appreciate it!

Think I'd pass on AWD, not living in snow country. Have it now on a Highlander, which I believes helps in rain. Need to think on that more. What's the heat pump for?

I like the size, style, and the room when the rear seats are folded down. And interior materials. Fast charging is interesting, though that no doubt requires special charging stations that are likely rare right now. I'm not up to speed on public and driver-owned charging stations yet. I already have two 220v 50amp circuits; one in the garage, another outside. Though not enough for fast charging, hopefully that would be enough for above average charging.

U

User.45

Think I'd pass on AWD, not living in snow country. Have it now on a Highlander, which I believes helps in rain. Need to think on that more. What's the heat pump for?
Where you live, it could help climb up hills, but I doubt it would be otherwise super useful.
Heatpump: EVs use resistive heating which eats a lot of energy and hinders range greatly. The heat pump uses the extra heat produced by the battery and pushes it into the cabin. The car keeps the Battery at 77F and reportedly it can pull heat from there to temps as low as 20F. So it saves range, but kicks in only once the battery is at optimal temp.

Fast charging is interesting, though that no doubt requires special charging stations that are likely rare right now. I'm not up to speed on public and driver-owned charging stations yet. I already have two 220v 50amp circuits; one in the garage, another outside. Though not enough for fast charging, hopefully that would be enough for above average charging.
It all depends what you're gonna use it for. My Level 1 home 110V outlet could charge my I3 60mi overnight. So if you have any plug access at home, you don't need special equipment to keep the car topped up just fine. DC fast charging is mainly relevant for roadtrips. If you're in no rush but on the go, you can use the car as a lounge (or office) while charging, so charging isn't time wasted. The recliner mode on the seats is really smart.

I'll add that I made a lot of calculations and a Model Y would cost me $300 more on a 5year loan and for that money, I could just rent another car if I needed more capacity or wanted a roadtrip...or use the differential for my kids' college fund.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Where you live, it could help climb up hills, but I doubt it would be otherwise super useful.
Heatpump: EVs use resistive heating which eats a lot of energy and hinders range greatly. The heat pump uses the extra heat produced by the battery and pushes it into the cabin. The car keeps the Battery at 77F and reportedly it can pull heat from there to temps as low as 20F. So it saves range, but kicks in only once the battery is at optimal temp.
I bought the model of my VW e-golf without the heat pump, and when it’s cold, the heater runs the battery down pretty fast. So I feel like that is one option I should have taken. But I just use the heated seats instead when I need extra range… even if my hands get a bit cold.

U

User.45

I bought the model of my VW e-golf without the heat pump, and when it’s cold, the heater runs the battery down pretty fast. So I feel like that is one option I should have taken. But I just use the heated seats instead when I need extra range… even if my hands get a bit cold.
Yep. It's tempting but it doesn't get too cold around here to be worth the $4K. The range loss from the AWD cancels out the range gain from the heat pump.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I like the size, style, and the room when the rear seats are folded down. And interior materials. Fast charging is interesting, though that no doubt requires special charging stations that are likely rare right now. I'm not up to speed on public and driver-owned charging stations yet. I already have two 220v 50amp circuits; one in the garage, another outside. Though not enough for fast charging, hopefully that would be enough for above average charging.

DCFC (DC Fast Charging) is a consideration for travel, in particular if your destination is out of single charge range, or you don't have a way to charge at home (or work) in any capacity.

If you've got a 50a (or a few) at home, you're golden. Generally you'll want to charge at ~80% of the max rating of the circuit, so for those 50a circuits, that would be 40a, and outlets (vs. a hardwire setup) have a max spec of 50a which is why you see 40a plugin style chargers (which are technically called an EVSE, it's basically a switch, the charger is built into the car).

Those 50a outlets should either be an N6-50 (3-prong, 240v only), an an N14-50 (4-prong, 2-phase that can support 120 and 240). Either is fine as you'd only be using 240v anyway. Depending on the car, you should be able to get up to 36-37 miles per hour charging rate on those outlets with a 40a Level 2 charger. The thing with a BEV, is you "refuel" incrementally, it's a totally different use model vs. an ICE vehicle.

Like if I drive over to the Apple store and back, when I get home, I'll plugin and the battery loss for that ~70 mile round trip is replenished in ~1:55 (for comparison a Supercharger would take about 7-8 minutes :))

If you want to get a good sense of the public charging situation, Level 2 destination chargers (which are basically like 40a home chargers) and DCFC stations (Tesla Superchargers, Electrify America, etc.) I'd highly suggest checking out A Better Route Planner:

It's a free service, there's an App, web UI, there's a paid tier that will actually use your car's data to better prediction, but you can plot routes for travel, select a car, see what kind of time, charging costs you might encounter.

Again, this is a place where Tesla just kills it, our common route to Orlando International has like 8 convenient Supercharger locations (a couple at great stop spots like a Wawa), and only 1 non-Telsa DCFC. Apparently Tesla is going to open up Superchargers to non-Tesla vehicles which would really change things a good bit, time will tell, they'll need some kind of CSS retrofit to stations, or new CSS only stations, things will only improve in this area.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
DCFC (DC Fast Charging) is a consideration for travel, in particular if your destination is out of single charge range, or you don't have a way to charge at home (or work) in any capacity.

If you've got a 50a (or a few) at home, you're golden. Generally you'll want to charge at ~80% of the max rating of the circuit, so for those 50a circuits, that would be 40a, and outlets (vs. a hardwire setup) have a max spec of 50a which is why you see 40a plugin style chargers (which are technically called an EVSE, it's basically a switch, the charger is built into the car).

Those 50a outlets should either be an N6-50 (3-prong, 240v only), an an N14-50 (4-prong, 2-phase that can support 120 and 240). Either is fine as you'd only be using 240v anyway. Depending on the car, you should be able to get up to 36-37 miles per hour charging rate on those outlets with a 40a Level 2 charger. The thing with a BEV, is you "refuel" incrementally, it's a totally different use model vs. an ICE vehicle.

Like if I drive over to the Apple store and back, when I get home, I'll plugin and the battery loss for that ~70 mile round trip is replenished in ~1:55 (for comparison a Supercharger would take about 7-8 minutes :))

If you want to get a good sense of the public charging situation, Level 2 destination chargers (which are basically like 40a home chargers) and DCFC stations (Tesla Superchargers, Electrify America, etc.) I'd highly suggest checking out A Better Route Planner:

It's a free service, there's an App, web UI, there's a paid tier that will actually use your car's data to better prediction, but you can plot routes for travel, select a car, see what kind of time, charging costs you might encounter.

Again, this is a place where Tesla just kills it, our common route to Orlando International has like 8 convenient Supercharger locations (a couple at great stop spots like a Wawa), and only 1 non-Telsa DCFC. Apparently Tesla is going to open up Superchargers to non-Tesla vehicles which would really change things a good bit, time will tell, they'll need some kind of CSS retrofit to stations, or new CSS only stations, things will only improve in this area.
Good info on all of these things, I have downloaded both abettertripplanner and PugShare as contingencies. One of my wife's concerns is running low and not being able to find charging but I let her know you would essentially need to be in the middle of a desert somewhere for that to happen, or at the very least be a terrible planner and ignore all the warnings from your car.

If not Tesla, there are charging stations literally everywhere in front of stores, etc., worst case is you have to wait a little longer at a slower charger but you can just take what you need to get to your superchargers anyway. I had no idea how many there were until I started looking.

But with home charging, even at 30 MPH, I'll be able to easily fill up overnight. Unless I have a trip planned it's unlikely I'll need to charge on the outside anyway but it's reassuring seeing so many places to do it.

U

User.45

Good info on all of these things, I have downloaded both abettertripplanner and PugShare as contingencies. One of my wife's concerns is running low and not being able to find charging but I let her know you would essentially need to be in the middle of a desert somewhere for that to happen, or at the very least be a terrible planner and ignore all the warnings from your car.

If not Tesla, there are charging stations literally everywhere in front of stores, etc., worst case is you have to wait a little longer at a slower charger but you can just take what you need to get to your superchargers anyway. I had no idea how many there were until I started looking.

But with home charging, even at 30 MPH, I'll be able to easily fill up overnight. Unless I have a trip planned it's unlikely I'll need to charge on the outside anyway but it's reassuring seeing so many places to do it.
Yes, range anxiety is non-existent if you can charge at home and do your bidding in a 50mi radius.

Top Bottom
1 2