Electric Vehicles: General topics

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
No idea if this will make it to production, final specs, pricing, distribution and service network ... just that it's a really nice looking execution (love the side "mirrors"):

View attachment 11002

View attachment 11003

The most shocking thing about this EV is the manufacturer: Sony :oops:
What a cool looking EV!

Maybe this will bring Sony back to its former glory.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just love the idea of the vehicle market opening up to all these new players, who even just 10 years ago you would've said, "Sony? You're crazy." I think cars are becoming a little more modular too, Sony can source the "skateboard" with a certain spec (battery, form factor), and do all the finishing implementation, and capitalize on the elements that are unique to Sony's strengths - like you said, electronics, optics, video.

Speaking of batteries, I'm looking forward to seeing companies moving forward using new battery technologies/chemistries. Lithium-Sulfur, comes to mind. Watch for it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of batteries, I'm looking forward to seeing companies moving forward using new battery technologies/chemistries. Lithium-Sulfur, comes to mind. Watch for it.

Yes! I've been following Lyten and a couple other notable players in the Li-S battery space for a while. I really think there's going to be a major battery tech breakthrough in the very near future - specifically for consumer products - and 400-500 mile ranges will be as common as 20-30 for ICE vehicles.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes! I've been following Lyten and a couple other notable players in the Li-S battery space for a while. I really think there's going to be a major battery tech breakthrough in the very near future - specifically for consumer products - and 400-500 mile ranges will be as common as 20-30 for ICE vehicles.

Lyten is the real deal. I've been assuming they've been in discussions with Apple.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Never thought about school buses, but it would make sense. They come back to the same place every night so charging would be easy. Plus plenty of room for batteries.

Probably need to keep a couple of diesels around for longer trips, but the rest of them could be electric.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
Ran the battery down to 2% for the first time. You could feel the motors not getting full power. Felt slower than chill mode

17 hours to get from 2%-100% on a 24A L2 😂

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ran the battery down to 2% for the first time. You could feel the motors not getting full power. Felt slower than chill mode
Wow that's brave, you must have been near a charger I take it?

I let mine get down to 15% wile cruising around with my buddy and my wife called to tell me I needed to charge because she got an alert. Man, I remember when backseat drivers had actually be in the car.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Never thought about school buses, but it would make sense. They come back to the same place every night so charging would be easy. Plus plenty of room for batteries.

Probably need to keep a couple of diesels around for longer trips, but the rest of them could be electric.

School buses are a terrific use case, like you indicated, a known route ending in a specific location, an EV would mean no emissions. low-to-no noise which is great when you've got a fleet of them waiting for afternoon rides.

17 hours to get from 2%-100% on a 24A L2 😂

Hahaha, yeah, 24a is 20-22 miles/hour rate, __and__ the 0%-20% and 80%-100% is a good bit slower than that (especially the 90-100%).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I let mine get down to 15% wile cruising around with my buddy and my wife called to tell me I needed to charge because she got an alert. Man, I remember when backseat drivers had actually be in the car.

The first time the wife took the Tesla out (like not just a quick "test drive"), she was with the daughter at the salon, and I was still nerding out over the app and checking out the car remotely. It was like July, and I saw the super high temps in the car, so before they got back in, I vented the windows, then closed them and fired up the AC to max. I love that someone else can actually give you a hand, or even grant you access to the car in a pinch.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I have seen some electric city buses in DC…

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The first time the wife took the Tesla out (like not just a quick "test drive"), she was with the daughter at the salon, and I was still nerding out over the app and checking out the car remotely. It was like July, and I saw the super high temps in the car, so before they got back in, I vented the windows, then closed them and fired up the AC to max. I love that someone else can actually give you a hand, or even grant you access to the car in a pinch.
Me (from the couch) when my wife walks into the kitchen "Alexa, turn on kitchen". We just give and give for our families, don't we?

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
They really need to add some user profiles in the mobile app. If I'm preheating the car, it shouldn't send out a mass push notification to every user.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m sure there will be many people angry at me for posting this but:
In a reliability survey published last November, Consumer Reports named electric SUVs the least-reliable vehicle type. Now CR has followed that up with a report shedding light on specific problem areas.

On average, EVs have significantly higher problem rates than internal-combustion vehicles across model years 2019 and 2020, according to CR's data. That improved somewhat for 2021, but certain models still showed high rates of problems, according to the report.

In all cases, the important point is not just that these problems occur, but that they occur at a higher rate than in comparable internal-combustion vehicles. Despite that, CRfound high rates of owner satisfaction, indicating that many EV owners aren't too worried about reliability issues.

Consumer Reports currently ranks Tesla 26th in reliability, 2nd to worse. All 4 models are currently marked as reliability issues, with the Y “much worse than average”.

I suspect a lot of this has to do with many EV models being so new, not to mention new technology, and relatively low volume that the kinks haven’t been worked out. I suspect there are a lot of attempts at cost cutting too to try and keep costs down.

Tesla on the other hand has established technology and hasn’t had such bad reliability ratings in the past, so maybe just hasty production in an effort to get as many cars out the door?

————

Not sure if anyone has talked about this yet, not exactly a new car but I think the Polestar 2 is a gorgeous looking vehicle. They recently put a dealer in very close to me but I haven’t seen more than a couple on the road.

1642278161063.jpeg

Unfortunately the AWD model only gets 250mi range (270 w/FWD). It’s slightly slower than Model 3 LR AWD, but fairly closely priced for similarly equipped models (~$51k after tax credit). The options are heinously expensive on the Polestar. Volvo has pretty good autonomous features but Tesla definitely has the upper hand. The Polestar warranty is also only 4yr/50k B2B + 8yr/100k on the battery only. Tesla is 8yr/120k on the battery + motors. The interior is a little bland- it doesn’t look nearly as nice as it’s relative Volvo models, but I could live with it.

It seems hard to justify spending the same amount of money on a car that gets 100 miles less range, doesn’t have supercharging, etc. If they could keep the price similar and up the range to at least ~325mi, it could be a compelling alternative to the sea of Model 3’s.

I’m also not sure where Polestar fits into the Volvo family considering Volvo is quickly moving towards EV’s themselves with the XC40 recharge and allegedly 3 new EV’s over the next 3 years.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not angry, but guess you can put me down towards not having much faith in these reports.

Just reading subreddits relating to Tesla, it just reveals to me how ignorant( putting it nicely) people can be towards their own car. And this ignorance probably plays some influence in how they answer any reliability/quality surveys. Now that the temps are dropping, the subreddits are littered with, " My Tesla's air pressure is showing amber, what does it mean!?!?!" It means fill your damn tires up with air..... Not only can they not comprehend that, they don't even know the recommended inflation and just go off what they set in their previous cars. Or for those that just bought the fastest model possible because, " Ooooo fast!!!" are now going, " My Tesla is unsafe in the snow!" Well no crap, you still have the summer tires on the vehicle!

I bet Tesla will get hit hard shortly again after V11's release because people don't like the UI change and down mark Tesla there too.....

When it comes to Tesla's, I would only put faith in build quality scores. Every thing else, I would tend to be skeptical on.....

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Consumer Reports currently ranks Tesla 26th in reliability, 2nd to worse. All 4 models are currently marked as reliability issues, with the Y “much worse than average”.

I suspect a lot of this has to do with many EV models being so new, not to mention new technology, and relatively low volume that the kinks haven’t been worked out. I suspect there are a lot of attempts at cost cutting too to try and keep costs down.

Tesla on the other hand has established technology and hasn’t had such bad reliability ratings in the past, so maybe just hasty production in an effort to get as many cars out the door?

————

Not sure if anyone has talked about this yet, not exactly a new car but I think the Polestar 2 is a gorgeous looking vehicle. They recently put a dealer in very close to me but I haven’t seen more than a couple on the road.

View attachment 11033

Unfortunately the AWD model only gets 250mi range (270 w/FWD). It’s slightly slower than Model 3 LR AWD, but fairly closely priced for similarly equipped models (~$51k after tax credit). The options are heinously expensive on the Polestar. Volvo has pretty good autonomous features but Tesla definitely has the upper hand. The Polestar warranty is also only 4yr/50k B2B + 8yr/100k on the battery only. Tesla is 8yr/120k on the battery + motors. The interior is a little bland- it doesn’t look nearly as nice as it’s relative Volvo models, but I could live with it.

It seems hard to justify spending the same amount of money on a car that gets 100 miles less range, doesn’t have supercharging, etc. If they could keep the price similar and up the range to at least ~325mi, it could be a compelling alternative to the sea of Model 3’s.

I’m also not sure where Polestar fits into the Volvo family considering Volvo is quickly moving towards EV’s themselves with the XC40 recharge and allegedly 3 new EV’s over the next 3 years.
Tesla’s build quality has been a known issue for years. Which is why I am always excited when I see more companies making EVs.

As it stands, the “EVs are unreliable” is just “Teslas are unreliable” because they dominate the EV sector in America. But it‘s interesting to see that the reliability issues generally don’t have to do with the battery or the electric motor.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Not the slightest bit angry, just DGAF if I'm being totally honest (which may not be the response you were expecting :D)

My personal experience at a few days short of 7 months: it's been reliable, had ultra-low consumables cost, zero maintenance (flat tire notwithstanding), no issues as delivered, and I've felt it was an incredibly safe vehicle for my family. I've got a statistically [odd] high number of friends with Teslas that report the same.

I'm also able to separate the car from the personality so to speak, this being a source of ire for some folks. :LOL:

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score

————

View attachment 11033

The biggest issue with the Polestar 2 is the horrible charging curve. You’re going to be sitting at the charger for a very long time, compared to a Tesla on a v3 SC or even a VW ID4 on Electrify America

Attachments

• 26EE5A26-E3E0-4F48-8102-A3B98BC9D053.png
    26EE5A26-E3E0-4F48-8102-A3B98BC9D053.png
    145 KB · Views: 26
  • 2A1BD483-B085-4363-A65C-38860CAEB151.png
    2A1BD483-B085-4363-A65C-38860CAEB151.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 1146948F-F13A-4A9E-8C2E-9E72F41D6C2A.jpeg
    1146948F-F13A-4A9E-8C2E-9E72F41D6C2A.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 29

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Which is why I am always excited when I see more companies making EVs.

Competition is always a good thing - and another key takeaway in the EV industry: it's not Tesla vs. Rivian vs. Lucid vs. VW vs. GM, it's the us vs. the planet. If Tesla did nothing else but instigate this massive shift in the transportation market, then good for them and their panels gaps and questionable UI decisions :D Everybody wins.

U

User.45

I have seen some electric city buses in DC…

This reminded me of Trolleybuses. You could do a hybrid approach where the bus gets charged in the city's busy areas while operating.
It's interesting to read there are only 5 trolley lines operating in the USA: Philly, SF, Seattle, Daytona and Boston (per wikipedia).

Top Bottom
1 2