Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m using the Belkin magsafe thing that clips into the air vent. Works great. But I don’t have a fancy model 3 like you. I don’t even have a center console thing on the floor. Not much else to clip to in those old model S’s.
Similar to this?

Just wondering if that'll work with the vent on the Model 3 2022, I'm also wondering about the weight of the 13 Max Pro, it's definitely heavier and I'm concerned about bumpy rides.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Similar to this?

Just wondering if that'll work with the vent on the Model 3 2022, I'm also wondering about the weight of the 13 Max Pro, it's definitely heavier and I'm concerned about bumpy rides.
The one I have has a power connection - the one you posted does not.

This is the one i have:

my iPhone 13 max pro isn’t falling off that thing, bumpy ride or not.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The one I have has a power connection - the one you posted does not.

This is the one i have:

my iPhone 13 max pro isn’t falling off that thing, bumpy ride or not.
Okay, the vent in the Model 3 isn't a typical vent, do you know if it will fit into it?

screen-shot-2017-09-18-at-9-30-03-am-e1505741526385.jpg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, the vent in the Model 3 isn't a typical vent, do you know if it will fit into it?

screen-shot-2017-09-18-at-9-30-03-am-e1505741526385.jpg

That i do not know. If it has horizontal slats it should fit, but I don’t have a model 3 to try it on.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
How about this?
I'm looking at that and a couple of others that are similar, I just keep reading stories that they have trouble holding the 13 pro max and I'm dubious about using an adhesive, that's why I really like the idea of the one you linked from Belkin.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking at that and a couple of others that are similar, I just keep reading stories that they have trouble holding the 13 pro max and I'm dubious about using an adhesive, that's why I really like the idea of the one you linked from Belkin.

Oh. The one I use definitely has no issue at all holding the 13 pro max. Never even came close to dropping it.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Our vent holders for the Civic did not work in the Tesla. So far I've just resigned to leaving my phone in that holding area under the computer tablet dash. I miss Apple CarPlay greatly - still haven't gotten used to how maps doesn't make it super clear what direction to turn lol (either that or I am too used to Apple Maps).

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pro clip is about the best I’ve ever used.
It’s specific to your model 3.
Then you by the phone holder to match your phone.
Not cheap. But simply the best.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Our vent holders for the Civic did not work in the Tesla. So far I've just resigned to leaving my phone in that holding area under the computer tablet dash. I miss Apple CarPlay greatly - still haven't gotten used to how maps doesn't make it super clear what direction to turn lol (either that or I am too used to Apple Maps).
I don't like how detached you're forced to be from your iPhone, love the car but it's the biggest drawback. Once you get used to CarPlay it feels like a step backwards... someone tell Elon and Tim to work it out! :mrgreen:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Pro clip is about the best I’ve ever used.
It’s specific to your model 3.
Then you by the phone holder to match your phone.
Not cheap. But simply the best.
Been a fan of their mounts for years (and agree they're the best) but this one forces you to mount behind the steering wheel and that's not a location I want to use, I want to be able to reach over and interact if I need to.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Been a fan of their mounts for years (and agree they're the best) but this one forces you to mount behind the steering wheel and that's not a location I want to use, I want to be able to reach over and interact if I need to.
They used to do a choice of mounting positions per model. Maybe they still do for some models. But maybe it’s limited on the Tesla due to the design?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They used to do a choice of mounting positions per model. Maybe they still do for some models. But maybe it’s limited on the Tesla due to the design?
Right, I think the design of the car makes it difficult for manufacturers. In the end I'm just doing what @BigMcGuire is and leaving it sitting on the charger but to me it's harder and more dangerous even to glance at way down there.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Right, I think the design of the car makes it difficult for manufacturers. In the end I'm just doing what @BigMcGuire is and leaving it sitting on the charger but to me it's harder and more dangerous even to glance at way down there.
These days I just leave it in my pocket. I don't have Apple Carplay yet, so texts can wait. I can read them on my Apple Watch. Calls are dealt with via BT and steering wheel controls.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
These days I just leave it in my pocket. I don't have Apple Carplay yet, so texts can wait. I can read them on my Apple Watch. Calls are dealt with via BT and steering wheel controls.
Yep, I noticed that's one thing I stopped doing - replying to texts while I drive. Which ... isn't a bad thing. lol (since getting the Tesla).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yep, I noticed that's one thing I stopped doing - replying to texts while I drive. Which ... isn't a bad thing. lol (since getting the Tesla).
It may be worth trying to use their system, which I've only tried a couple of times but found to be really clunky and cumbersome and is nothing as streamlined as CarPlay, but maybe I'll spend some time with it. For drives where I'm on the road for a couple of hours or more it's nice to be able to dictate text messages.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Problem i run into is because my tesla has no CarPlay, and I’m frequently using the MLB app or Apple Music (and sometimes the sirius/xm app) for Audio, i need the phone readily available to change channels, etc. If Musk would stop being such an a-hole and just provide CarPlay, I’d be fine with the phone in my pocket.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Texting works pretty solid for me: click right wheel button, "Send message to <person's name>", dictate message, click wheel button to send (double click to bail I believe). If you go into messages on the Tesla display, there's a running exchange of messages sent through the car, you can tap favorites and start a message (or phone call) from that screen as well.

Since my 6 months Apple Music trial ended, I'm back using the "Tesla Music", which also works great with voice: click, "Play Feel Good, Inc., by Gorillaz ...",, *boom*, it's playing. Side note: the Tesla Faves channel is really good, we've curated it a lot (using the up/down vote), but it mostly kind of vibes with our music tastes.

That's about all I need to do: text a couple of people, call a couple of people, play some music off the top of my head.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Problem i run into is because my tesla has no CarPlay, and I’m frequently using the MLB app or Apple Music (and sometimes the sirius/xm app) for Audio, i need the phone readily available to change channels, etc. If Musk would stop being such an a-hole and just provide CarPlay, I’d be fine with the phone in my pocket.
When I run bluetooth from my Amazon Music app from my iPhone it allows me to use the right/left controls on the left steering wheel button to flip through, it's actually a pretty nice feature.