Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Taking it in for loud breaks on hills but also mentioned the USB drive and this was their response. As of now it flat out does not work anymore.

View attachment 15080

Yeah, I’ve gotten more than one “no repairs to be made at this time” in the last 9 years. Three years ago: “your car randomly insists you don’t have hardware for sirius/xm? Oh, that’s a firmware thing. I’ll just go ahead and cancel your appointment…”. “Your car randomly reboots when you go in reverse? Hmm. Try a factory reset. In the mean time I’ll just go ahead and cancel your appointment…”. Same deal with it deciding I am not subscribed to sirius because the real time clock somehow gets out of synch or just because it feels like it, etc. etc. (still waiting for fixes, btw)

All these software problems are part of the reason I am very dubious they’ll ever get self driving fully working. If you can’t make it so that my car remembers the radio presets each time I start the car, I don’t think you’ll make it so that the car can successfully navigate city traffic.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve gotten more than one “no repairs to be made at this time” in the last 9 years. Three years ago: “your car randomly insists you don’t have hardware for sirius/xm? Oh, that’s a firmware thing. I’ll just go ahead and cancel your appointment…”. “Your car randomly reboots when you go in reverse? Hmm. Try a factory reset. In the mean time I’ll just go ahead and cancel your appointment…”. Same deal with it deciding I am not subscribed to sirius because the real time clock somehow gets out of synch or just because it feels like it, etc. etc. (still waiting for fixes, btw)

All these software problems are part of the reason I am very dubious they’ll ever get self driving fully working. If you can’t make it so that my car remembers the radio presets each time I start the car, I don’t think you’ll make it so that the car can successfully navigate city traffic.
For me there are many, many years before I’d trust a self driving car. As you say, if it can’t remember a radio preset, what about when to stop!
I’m not sure how much appetite there is for self driving cars in the general driving community. Not that much I’m guessing.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Taking it in for loud breaks on hills but also mentioned the USB drive and this was their response. As of now it flat out does not work anymore.

It's almost for sure a software bug, I've had to do a remove/reinsert a couple of times since the last update (only does it after a full on cold sleep), and it's been pretty widely reported on TMC.

x.16 will fix it up :)

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
There have been 273 Tesla ”autopilot” crashes in the past year, far more than previously thought. The NHTSA released findings today.

(paywall removed)
Seems like Tesla returned more data than other manufacturers, since this seems self reported (do other makers actually know when customers are using driver assistant features?) I wouldn’t glean too much from it.

Jumpthesnark

Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
Tesla Model S in a junkyard for weeks, then it spontaneously burst into flames, and it took about the same amount of water to extinguish as a building fire. They needed to dig a pit, push the car into it and fill the hole with water.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just plugged my car into a ChargePoint charger for the first time ever (having owned the model s since 2013). I’ve never even used that adapter before. Given I’m locked out of my garage, seemed like I should make sure I could charge the car for future emergencies if a supercharger isn’t handy. It got 8 miles of charge before conking out. I had to go back to the car, and power the car up and drive it in a circle to get it to recognize the charger again.

Fun!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Given I’m locked out of my garage, seemed like I should make sure I could charge the car for future emergencies if a supercharger isn’t handy.

TMC + adapter (N14-50, N6-50, N14-30, etc.) + extension cord. I can charge ours 30 feet into the driveway.

I'm taking the same setup to the BIL's for our 1/2 way stopover on the way to Universal, using an N14-30 from his dryer outlet (done this several times already). :)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
TMC + adapter (N14-50, N6-50, N14-30, etc.) + extension cord. I can charge ours 30 feet into the driveway.

I'm taking the same setup to the BIL's for our 1/2 way stopover on the way to Universal, using an N14-30 from his dryer outlet (done this several times already). :)
Yeah, true, i could have done it that way. Would take awhile since I’d be using 110V (can’t get to the dryer outlet with the garage door stuck). Anyway, the car also decided I am not authorized to listen to sirius again, so I’m guessing there is another software issue here and a few reboots would solve it.

And the guy is fixing the garage door right now, so it’s more a test for any future emergencies (or even if I just want to use a destination charger somewhere).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Right up front I got my head around having a backup, and that's one reason why I like our 40a not being hardwired, if it takes a dump, I can simply unplug it, plug in the TMC with the N6-50 adapter and I'm good to go (at 32a).

Honestly, we don't even have to charge at the BIL's we can make the round trip without a charge, but even better, this the parking at the resort:

IMG_8023_1920.jpg

Free juice, cool and covered :D

I just happen to have all that gear in the frunk, I had a travel bundle for our trip to The Keys that had a bunch of charger/adapters, cords, tire patch kit, and a compressor :)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Right up front I got my head around having a backup, and that's one reason why I like our 40a not being hardwired, if it takes a dump, I can simply unplug it, plug in the TMC with the N6-50 adapter and I'm good to go (at 32a).

Honestly, we don't even have to charge at the BIL's we can make the round trip without a charge, but even better, this the parking at the resort:

View attachment 15214

Free juice, cool and covered :D

I just happen to have all that gear in the frunk, I had a travel bundle for our trip to The Keys that had a bunch of charger/adapters, cords, tire patch kit, and a compressor :)

Ever had to use the patch/compressor? I’m thinking i should invest in that, given how many flats I get.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ever had to use the patch/compressor? I’m thinking i should invest in that, given how many flats I get.

I haven't on the Tesla, or really any real recent car, but it's a nice thing to have for peace of mind, even if you never use it. We get a flat in the Tesla, sure we could try roadside service, or AAA, or try get get a tow to a tire center, but if in like 20-30 minutes I could be back up on the road and all it took was less than $100 and some space in the trunk/frunk, it's a good value :) Plus, the compressor is just handy to have in the car for keeping the tires at proper pressure (which is really critical with an EV).

I've had a bunch of cars in a row without a spare or runflats, so I've kept something like this handy, as well as a can of Fix-a-Flat.

Pretty much any $20-30 plug kit and an accessory powered compressor (check the specs/reviews, some are better for high pressure / heavy weight vehicle tires from flat to full).

I looked into Modern Spare, they make a super nice spare for Teslas, bag, jack kit, etc., but it takes up a huge amount of space.

If you're curious:

About $400-450 depending on the vehicle, accessories, etc.

One of the things I __love__ about the Wrangler, is not only does it have a full sized, matching spare, but it's just hanging off the back, super easy to get to, I had an incident with the previous family ride, had a full size spare, but the under vehicle mounting system was basically frozen, it was a PITA.

To be honest, changing a tire on the side of the road can be super dangerous, it's usually a bad place to jack a car and the portable jacks are pretty so-so (I have a nice low profile, 3-ton in the garage).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just got the breaks burnished because it was scraping/loud on hills and updated to 2022.17.1.2 but still can't use the USB drive (says "not available") so nothing is being recorded and it's useless. You would think if it were a universal issue it would be everyone so I'm not buying their "must wait for a software patch" solution.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't on the Tesla, or really any real recent car, but it's a nice thing to have for peace of mind, even if you never use it. We get a flat in the Tesla, sure we could try roadside service, or AAA, or try get get a tow to a tire center, but if in like 20-30 minutes I could be back up on the road and all it took was less than $100 and some space in the trunk/frunk, it's a good value :) Plus, the compressor is just handy to have in the car for keeping the tires at proper pressure (which is really critical with an EV).

I've had a bunch of cars in a row without a spare or runflats, so I've kept something like this handy, as well as a can of Fix-a-Flat.

Pretty much any $20-30 plug kit and an accessory powered compressor (check the specs/reviews, some are better for high pressure / heavy weight vehicle tires from flat to full).

I looked into Modern Spare, they make a super nice spare for Teslas, bag, jack kit, etc., but it takes up a huge amount of space.

If you're curious:

About $400-450 depending on the vehicle, accessories, etc.

One of the things I __love__ about the Wrangler, is not only does it have a full sized, matching spare, but it's just hanging off the back, super easy to get to, I had an incident with the previous family ride, had a full size spare, but the under vehicle mounting system was basically frozen, it was a PITA.

To be honest, changing a tire on the side of the road can be super dangerous, it's usually a bad place to jack a car and the portable jacks are pretty so-so (I have a nice low profile, 3-ton in the garage).
interesting. I may consider the modern spare setup, and keep the wheel/tire at home. Normally when I get a flat I'm able to get someplace safe where my wife could presumably load the kit into her SUV and bring it to me in no more time than it would take for me to wait for a tow.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yep, I see it too:

1656075648409.png

EAP is back as an option in the US. At this point, FSD barely has anything additional for another $6K.

EAP will include:

-Navigate on Autopilot
-Auto Lane Change
-Autopark
-Summon
-Smart Summon

No monthly yet, for $99/month, I'd do it just for the summon and ALC.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yep, I see it too:

View attachment 15268

EAP is back as an option in the US. At this point, FSD barely has anything additional for another $6K.

EAP will include:

-Navigate on Autopilot
-Auto Lane Change
-Autopark
-Summon
-Smart Summon

No monthly yet, for $99/month, I'd do it just for the summon and ALC.
Interesting, so this looks like it's essentially all the features of FSD without the ability to self-drive on streets then? I can tell you I would definitely be interested in this, nobody gets that other feature anyway.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Right! The extra $6k is for beta software that hasn't delivered the expected functionality.

$6K for EAP is still too much for me, like I said, I'd do monthly so I could bail at any time. The problem with a fixed price is for folks like me, who own shorter term, it's too expensive, it needs to be tied into ownership duration. $2400 for the next two years? Yeah, maybe. $6000 for the next 2 years? NFW! :ROFLMAO: