Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
because when it tells me it is going to update, it doesn’t tell me what version or any information at all. How would i even know what to look for?
Your car auto updates without you clicking yes? I usually look online for the version it is asking to update to to see changes (https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/ is an alright source I personally check TMC though) then I update assuming no major issues present.

Of course since I am on FSDb I more or less always update cause FOMO, but I do check online for folks reactions.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Your car auto updates without you clicking yes? I usually look online for the version it is asking to update to to see changes (https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/ is an alright source I personally check TMC though) then I update assuming no major issues present.

Of course since I am on FSDb I more or less always update cause FOMO, but I do check online for folks reactions.
It doesn’t tell me what version number it is updating to. It just tells me there is an update.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Mine tells me the version number in the app and I always google it but typically after I tell it to start, I'm always hoping it will add various fixes so I typically trust it. But the UI change they dropped a while back made everyone do a double take so I think more are researching before applying now.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Huh, that is interesting. Does the App say?
No. It was actually the app that I used yesterday to start the update.

That said, until the update the app was missing features you all have (like charge stats), so maybe next time it will tell me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
No. It was actually the app that I used yesterday to start the update.

That said, until the update the app was missing features you all have (like charge stats), so maybe next time it will tell me.
This site has been great about giving all the details, both documented and undocumented. They do tend to bundle things from the last couple of updates but it gives all the info.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This has been available via plugshare in the UK for awhile no matter what charger you have. Nice to see Tesla catching up!
I had no idea you could charge people at your own home any price you like for using the charger, from Tesla or anyone but it's a cool concept.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I had no idea you could charge people at your own home any price you like for using the charger, from Tesla or anyone but it's a cool concept.
I think it’s probably quite user specific. I’d not want people using my drive and charging point. But if you don’t mind I guess it helps keep the lights on.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The new green light chime is a nice update, the projected SOC based on weather is slick, I understand there's a tire pressure related update to the range estimate coming out soon too.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
The new green light chime is a nice update, the projected SOC based on weather is slick, I understand there's a tire pressure related update to the range estimate coming out soon too.

20.7 is supposed to have the tire pressure being included which is installed on our Tesla’s.

The green light chime is nice, but wish it would have a bit more of a delay. I got the chime at every light even though I was paying attention and went to accelerate when it turned green. It just wasn’t as fast as the car wanted me to. Haha

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We have been doing a fair bit of traveling the past few weeks, and I have seen quite a number of 3s out and about. At this point, I have to say, that is very much not an attractive vehicle. I do hope we get some proper competition that looks a little less half-assed.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I find the design pretty attractive, but initially I found a few things a bit ... weird. At least from my perspective as an automotive enthusiast who was used to different styling and function.

The car lacks a bunch of ICE cruft, so it's very minimal, very aero efficient, now when I see a car with lots of leftover ICE design elements (like the BMW i4), it makes me chuckle. It also has a less traditional greenhouse ratio, lots up top - but then I sat in it, drove it, and I totally got it - the cabin is super open, roomy, and the view out that huge front window is amazing, especially with the sharp drop off of the front hood. It's a sedan too, so it's dealing with 4-doors, by its very nature, it's going to be a bit less sporty than a coupe.

I'd also say that I find MOST stock vehicles pretty so-so, most have a wheel/tire setup with an offset/width, that while cost/efficiency effective, aren't great aesthetically. Same for various aero, or lack of, the Model 3 is a good starting place like many cars, but can always use some improvement - I have the Performance flavor, so it gets the bigger 20" wheel/tire setup, the big brakes with red calipers, really changes it up. I've had a lot of vehicles, a few show cars and I find this one just a good - again, just different.

Plus, it drives for ~$0.03 a mile (home charging) and even as a roomy, feature-rich, 4-door sedan, it'll suck the headlights out of about 98% of the cars on the street :D

A little aftermarket goes a long way :cool:

Front lip, larger rear wing, a nice suspension/wheel/tire setup, boom! Love it (Not my car ...)

1659570140754.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm getting the new brake option in 20.8, just updated yesterday from 20.7 ...

IMG_1781_1920_1920.jpg

Basically when the battery is at a very high SOC, the regen reduces (as would be expected), so that lowers the amount of regn based braking effect. This uses the friction brakes to compensate, so the single-pedal driving experience remains about the same whether you have a 100% or 50% SOC.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm getting the new brake option in 20.8, just updated yesterday from 20.7 ...

View attachment 16632

Basically when the battery is at a very high SOC, the regen reduces (as would be expected), so that lowers the amount of regn based braking effect. This uses the friction brakes to compensate, so the single-pedal driving experience remains about the same whether you have a 100% or 50% SOC.
Mine still squeak really loud when going down hills, I took it into the shop and they were unable to replicate (likely because there are no hills at all in my area) and they said they filed them down or something. It didn't work and the problem is still there, they're questioning whether it's real or not now and it's super frustrating. So I'll just record it next time I'm in the hills but it's so loud I'm sure it's waking up the neighborhood when I cruise through in the early morning hours.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It is a brake squeal or something in the wheel hub or even the suspension?