Electrical Question

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
So, related to my washer/dryer purchase question…

Long story short, we are looking to install two washing machines and two dryers. Our existing “laundry centers” (stacked washer/dryer but in a single unit) had a single plug (240v) to power both components. Our laundry room has two 240v 30a outlets, two hot & cold water spigots, two drains, etc but come to find out for some reason we only have one 120v outlet (on a dedicated 20a circuit). Our replacement equipment will have separate 120v plugs for the washers and 240v plugs for the dryers.

So the question is, can you plug two washing machines into one 20a outlet? Or will that draw too much power?

I’m guessing I will need to have a second outlet and circuit installed.

Thanks in advance!

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
The manufacturer's documentation and the data plate on the equipment should tell you how many amps each washing machine needs, so look up that information to figure out if you need a new circuit installed.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
The manufacturer's documentation and the data plate on the equipment should tell you how many amps each washing machine needs, so look up that information to figure out if you need a new circuit installed.

Thanks. Looks like depending on which model we end up with either 10 or 15 amps. Apparently you should only run the outlets at 80% of max amperage?

Looks like we’ll need an electrician 😕

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like depending on which model we end up with either 10 or 15 amps. Apparently you should only run the outlets at 80% of max amperage?

Looks like we’ll need an electrician 😕

That seems high, especially if you bought Energy Star rated machines. Check the specs on the machine.

As for the 80% rule, this is probably one of the most misapplied sections of the NEC. It only applies to what are determined as continuous loads, which are defined by the NEC as greater than 3 hours. Washing machines do not run continuously for 3 hours. They stop, they start, get loaded, unloaded, etc.

Also, the rating on the machine is not what it pulls all the time, but the max it will pull at any one time, such as startup.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As for the 80% rule, this is probably one of the most misapplied sections of the NEC. It only applies to what are determined as continuous loads, which are defined by the NEC as greater than 3 hours.

Yep, that's come up with EV charging, where you might actually use 40 amps for 8 hours, and as such, you should be using 40a on a 50a circuit (i.e., 80%).

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
That seems high, especially if you bought Energy Star rated machines. Check the specs on the machine.

As for the 80% rule, this is probably one of the most misapplied sections of the NEC. It only applies to what are determined as continuous loads, which are defined by the NEC as greater than 3 hours. Washing machines do not run continuously for 3 hours. They stop, they start, get loaded, unloaded, etc.

Also, the rating on the machine is not what it pulls all the time, but the max it will pull at any one time, such as startup.

Thats according to the spec sheets. And those are energy star units.

Top Bottom
1 2