Elon Musk fed up with California's COVID restrictions protecting his workers and is moving headquarters to Texas

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Infections were blasting through the plant, impacting their bottom line so he'll just go to Texas where they couldn't give a rats ass about the human condition.

BTW... Also Elon Musk

EW0I1yYU0AETUcQ

The dude is a Capitalist pig, as a Californian I'll be glad to see him go and Ironically, we'll be subsidizing him in Texas because every one of these "free red states" keep running out of money.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
He can kiss his best engineers goodbye if he wants them all to move to Texas.

Especially if any of them happen to be female.

Infections were blasting through the plant, impacting their bottom line so he'll just go to Texas where they couldn't give a rats ass about the human condition.

BTW... Also Elon Musk

EW0I1yYU0AETUcQ

The dude is a Capitalist pig, as a Californian I'll be glad to see him go and Ironically, we'll be subsidizing him in Texas because every one of these "free red states" keep running out of money.

A Classic, Clichéd, Capitalist Pig is one thing, but this particular variant of ethics free capitalism that seems to be running rampant in the ranks of those companies founded (and still run) by these techie billionaire dudes is an especially disturbing and distasteful version of the genre.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
So rather than deal with what he calls a “fascist” state government, he’ll be expanding to a state that has a gun fetish, has a lower population of educated workers, is Covid-friendly and anti-abortion, and has days-long power outages in the dead of winter when the power grid fails.

Sounds reasonable to me. 🤨

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm wondering what all these big profile CA expats moving to Texas is going to do to Texas politics. Which side will infect which the most?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm wondering what all these big profile CA expats moving to Texas is going to do to Texas politics. Which side will infect which the most?
It's more hyperbole than anything, the main money maker here is the plant and that's not going anywhere, just the headquarters. Personally, I think Musk is a huge dirtbag and the state is better off without him.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, housing is cheaper here compared to California, but there are still a lot of people that can't afford to buy a home here in Gilead.

I bought my home new 6 years ago and you can't find a new build today for what I paid 6 years ago. No where near what I paid 6 years ago.

Austin is so overrated btw, but that's another topic ;)

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
He can kiss his best engineers goodbye if he wants them all to move to Texas.
Especially if any of them happen to be female.

A Classic, Clichéd, Capitalist Pig is one thing, but this particular variant of ethics free capitalism that seems to be running rampant in the ranks of those companies founded (and still run) by these techie billionaire dudes is an especially disturbing and distasteful version of the genre.

Those stupid laws are likely to be overturned at some point in the near future. Keep in mind as well, he's moving it to Austin, which is not really a bastion of conservatism, although I am not sure I like their choices of congressional representatives. Austin and its neighboring areas are probably the only part of Texas where I would consider living, but I'm perfectly happy remaining in California. If I intended to move, I would probably prefer Colorado or Washington state over Texas.

Breaking down how Travis County voted for president​

Here's a breakdown of the 2020 Travis County results with 100% of precincts reporting:
  • Joe Biden: 72%
  • Donald J. Trump: 27%
In 2016, President Trump won Texas with more than 4.6 million votes, while Hillary Clinton had more than 3.8 million votes.
Here's a breakdown of the 2016 Travis County Results:
  • Hillary Clinton: 65.77%
  • Donald J. Trump: 27.14%

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Austin is definitely more liberal than the rest of Texas, but it's still Texas. Also it's really, really hot. Something to consider for any Californians thinking of moving there. It's hotter than Sacramento in the summer (but unlike Sacramento, Austin is really humid).
Yep to all. My older brother has lived in Austin for over 30 years. Between the heat & Abbott, he and his family can’t wait to escape & move out of state.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I get the political/personal disdain for Musk, I agree with much, if not most of it, but you probably don't want to use videos like that as a serious engineering discussion point. It has so many wrong assertions and miscalculations, I read a few of the comments too, hahaha, I'm assuming a number of the posters haven't taken a high school physics class.

Most of his products/inventions have been refuted: you can't start a car company, or build electric cars, or build volume, or build an electric charging infrastructure, or develop a reusable rocket rocket tech, or offer consumer battery storage systems but look where we're at - i.e., I don't know that I'd bet against him for delivering on the Semi.

I mean, just today JB Straubel (Tesla co-founder / former CTO) said, nickel is going to be one of the hold ups for battery production - then this happens (edited down to relevant points):

Tesla has signed a new supply agreement in order to secure a large amount of nickel from New Caledonia for battery production.

New Caledonia is a small French territory in the southwest Pacific Ocean, and it is believed to own as much as 25% of the world’s nickel.

The company has been on the hunt for a buyer for over a year, but the sale is controversial in a nation that has been debating becoming independent from France and where nickel is one of their main sources of wealth.

Earlier this year, they finally struck a deal for a consortium consisting of employees of the mine as well as three regional provinces and the Singaporean commodity trading group Trafigura to take over ownership of the mine.

At the time of the deal, Tesla was named as a “technical and industrial partnership,” and the automaker is expected to help with product and sustainability standards at the mine.

The automaker was also expected to secure part of the mine’s output as part of this deal.

Now the consortium has become Prony Resources, and they confirmed today that Tesla has agreed to purchase almost the entire new planned nickel output of the mine.

Reuters reports:

“Prony Resources said on Wednesday Tesla Inc had agreed to purchase around 42,000 tonnes of nickel in a multi-year deal – a pact that is set to make the New Caledonian miner a key supplier of the metal to the U.S. electric car maker.”

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I get the political/personal disdain for Musk, I agree with much, if not most of it, but you probably don't want to use videos like that as a serious engineering discussion point. It has so many wrong assertions and miscalculations, I read a few of the comments too, hahaha, I'm assuming a number of the posters haven't taken a high school physics class.

Most of his products/inventions have been refuted: you can't start a car company, or build electric cars, or build volume, or build an electric charging infrastructure, or develop a reusable rocket rocket tech, or offer consumer battery storage systems but look where we're at - i.e., I don't know that I'd bet against him for delivering on the Semi.

I mean, just today JB Straubel (Tesla co-founder / former CTO) said, nickel is going to be one of the hold ups for battery production - then this happens (edited down to relevant points):

My main problem with Musk worshippers is he simply won against establishment beliefs, many of those with corruption at their center. That was no small feat but that doesn’t mean his every whim is shitting gold. Also he just happened to pick an area that is environmentally friendly and his motivation has changed from that to gangster capitalism.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Neither Straubel nor Musk founded Tesla.
‘Founded in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning’

Musk simply brought his money and his shit attitude to workers.

edit; mohey, lol wtf

Actually the whole founders thing is a bit more complicated, as to when, which company, etc., I referred to him as such for some context - in fact, there are 5 people indicated as founders for Tesla:

Also from Wikipedia:

Straubel joined Tesla as its fifth employee in 2004,[6] and is named as a co-founder.[7] He was its inaugural chief technical officer[3] until moving to an advisory role in July 2019.[4]

So let's maybe not get too pedantic over the use of term "founder" :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My main problem with Musk worshippers is he simply won against establishment beliefs, many of those with corruption at their center. That was no small feat but that doesn’t mean his every whim is shitting gold. Also he just happened to pick an area that is environmentally friendly and his motivation has changed from that to gangster capitalism.

Yeah, in some ways I kind of play the "net positive outcome" a bit in my head. Without Tesla, I'm not sure where we'd be in the evolution of the EV, heck, maybe even hydrogen would've become more relevant, again, my comment was more about, agreeing that, yes, Musk is kind of a fuckwit, but also one (and obviously the talented people he surrounds himself with) that has delivered against expectations.

Tesla just took a big chunk of the HP office space in CA:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, in some ways I kind of play the "net positive outcome" a bit in my head. Without Tesla, I'm not sure where we'd be in the evolution of the EV, heck, maybe even hydrogen would've become more relevant, again, my comment was more about, agreeing that, yes, Musk is kind of a fuckwit, but also one (and obviously the talented people he surrounds himself with) that has delivered against expectations.

Tesla just took a big chunk of the HP office space in CA:

Another thing that annoys me is he is part of the tech gazillionaires whose companies have largely contributed to the high cost of living in the Bay Area and then later go “It’s too expensive. I’m leaving!” It’s like they took a big gentrified shit all over the place, looked at it, and went “Fuck this place!” as if their shit didn't create the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2