Elon Musk says he plans to lift Donald Trump’s Twitter ban: ‘It was a morally bad decision’

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Since this is political I decided to start up a new thread outside of the tech forum.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1524085091655462913/
Elon Musk has never given the slightest indication that he understands or cares about morality. It’s ridiculous that he is dictating what‘s “morally bad.”

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in the camp who believes Trump needs more oxygen, not less, like the media that is attempting to overcorrect from the billions in free obsessed coverage leading up to the 2016 election by giving him as little coverage as possible. People need to be aware of his insanity that is only getting worse. We don't need undecided voters either forgetting how bad he was or thinking maybe he mellowed out.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Elon Musk has never given the slightest indication that he understands or cares about morality. It’s ridiculous that he is dictating what‘s “morally bad.”
J
It isn’t really a morality thing. It’s a business thing. Musk has been courting that group and 45 is the biggest draw. That group has already demonstrated they are an enormous base to fleece. When it comes time to roll out monetized tweets, you want the largest base that will happily part with their money.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm in the camp who believes Trump needs more oxygen, not less, like the media that is attempting to overcorrect from the billions in free obsessed coverage leading up to the 2016 election by giving him as little coverage as possible. People need to be aware of his insanity that is only getting worse. We don't need undecided voters either forgetting how bad he was or thinking maybe he mellowed out.
While I don't fully disagree here, I think we should be drawing a line when you use it as a platform to assemble and gin up your already hostile domestic terrorist base. Outside of that he is definitely his own worst enemy with this stuff.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I don't fully disagree here, I think we should be drawing a line when you use it as a platform to assemble and gin up your already hostile domestic terrorist base. Outside of that he is definitely his own worst enemy with this stuff.

I understand that hazard, and it doesn't help that the government hasn't done shit about holding him or his high level goons in any way accountable for 1/6, but I don't think attempting to silence him out of existence is going to work. And if he is going to incite violence (which will probably happen regardless), it's probably better that it happens before he has the power (again) to forgive himself and everybody else.

Since Fox is the home of dangerous contrarianism on just about every subject and they won't even give him much coverage, I think that speaks to the fact that other news sources should be covering him even more. Fox not covering something is a red alert. If he starts firing off Tweets again it will be impossible to ignore.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
FWIW, this is the actual word-for-word interview where Musk addresses it:

Musk: “Well, uh, I think the general question of ‘Should Twitter have permanent bans,’ um, and, I’ve talked with Jack Dorsey about this, and, he and I are of the same mind, which is that permanent bans should be extremely rare, and really reserved for people who are trying to — for accounts that are bots or spam/scam accounts, where there’s just no legitimacy to the account at all. Um, I do think that it was not correct to ban Donald Trump; I think that was a mistake because it alienated a large part of the country, and did not ultimately result in Donald Trump not having a voice. He is now going to be on Truth Social, as will a large part of the, sort of, the Right in the United States. And, so, I think this could end up being frankly worse than having a single forum where everyone can debate. Um, so, I guess the answer is that I would reverse the permanent ban. I don’t own Twitter, yet, so this is not like a thing that will definitely happen, because, what if I don’t own Twitter? But, my opinion, and Jack Dorsey, I want to be clear, shares this opinion, is that we should not have permanent bans. Now, that doesn’t mean that somebody gets to say whatever they want to say. If they say something that is illegal, or, otherwise, you know, destructive to the world, then there should perhaps be a “time out,” a temporary suspension, or that particular Tweet should be made invisible or have very limited traction. But, I think perma-bans just fundamentally undermine trust in Twitter as a “town square,” where everyone can voice their opinion. I think it was a morally bad decision, to be clear, and foolish in the extreme.”

Interviewer: “Even after he egged on the crowd who went to the U.S. Capitol, some of them carrying nooses. You still think it was a mistake to remove him?”

Musk: “I think if there are Tweets that are wrong and bad, they should be either deleted or made invisible and a suspension, a temporary suspension is appropriate. But not a permanent ban.”

Interviewer: “So if the deal completes, he might potentially come back on but with the understanding that if he does something similar again, he’ll be back in the Sin Bin?”

Musk: “He has publicly stated that he will not be coming back to Twitter, um and that he will only be on Truth Social. And this is the point I am trying to make, which is perhaps not getting across, is that banning Trump from Twitter didn’t end Trump’s voice. It will amplify it among the Right, and this is why it is morally wrong and flat-out stupid.”

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Musk: “He has publicly stated that he will not be coming back to Twitter, um and that he will only be on Truth Social. And this is the point I am trying to make, which is perhaps not getting across, is that banning Trump from Twitter didn’t end Trump’s voice. It will amplify it among the Right, and this is why it is morally wrong and flat-out stupid.”

Translation: I'm playing both sides of the culture war for BIG MONEY! BIIIIIG MONEY!

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that as well. 45 doesn’t need more awareness, even with emails he gets that. The problem is the stench he brings where he goes, that makes any environment more toxic. Which spreads like a cancer infecting areas that don’t even have a thing to do with him, but his sycophants think is funny to crap there as well.

Anyone who believes 45 about staying off of Twitter, if he allowed back on, has the memory of a goldfish. Lying is the same as breathing to America’s great big orange tumor.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that as well. 45 doesn’t need more awareness, even with emails he gets that. The problem is the stench he brings where he goes, that makes any environment more toxic. Which spreads like a cancer infecting areas that don’t even have a thing to do with him, but his sycophants think is funny to crap there as well.

Anyone who believes 45 about staying off of Twitter, if he allowed back on, has the memory of a goldfish. Lying is the same as breathing to America’s great big orange tumor.

But I’d argue that if he would just STFU it would be a lot more likely that he would win the Presidency back in 2024 (which he might/probably will do anyway). He is incapable of not pissing off (at least) half the country every time he opens his mouth. The Democrats are pretty much digging their own grave with their inability to accomplish anything substantial while the economic situation worsens and with every bubble burst on the horizon. Putting the spotlight on Trump’s klan rallies and letting him spout off his usual self centered diatribes might be their only hope.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
But I’d argue that if he would just STFU it would be a lot more likely that he would win the Presidency back in 2024 (which he might/probably will do anyway). He is incapable of not pissing off (at least) half the country every time he opens his mouth. The Democrats are pretty much digging their own grave with their inability to accomplish anything substantial while the economic situation worsens and with every bubble burst on the horizon. Putting the spotlight on Trump’s klan rallies and letting him spout off his usual self centered diatribes might be their only hope.
Trump having a giant megaphone is dangerous. 1,000,000 COVID deaths due to his disinformation, racial violence, Jan 6, etc, etc... and you want him to get that megaphone back just because it might help a Democrat win some election? This country needs less division, not more.

Plus, the press literally cannot help themselves. Once he gets back on Twitter, the news will once again be 90% discussion of Trump’s latest outrageous tweet.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Plus, the press literally cannot help themselves. Once he gets back on Twitter, the news will once again be 90% discussion of Trump’s latest outrageous tweet.

Not sure Twitter will have much to do with it.

If he runs, every cable news channel will be fighting to have him on because it means big ratings. Now if you can get them to ignore him, then maybe. But I doubt they can.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not sure Twitter will have much to do with it.

If he runs, every cable news channel will be fighting to have him on because it means big ratings. Now if you can get them to ignore him, then maybe. But I doubt they can.
He can just as easily get his message out on his own social network now that he has it, you have to wonder why he won't embrace it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I'd argue if 45 could win the presidency by STFU, he deserves it. If 45 can get the majority ( not likely, but with the help of gerrymandering then it could be possible ) of the votes he deserves to win. If he somehow did it by defying his nature & shutting up, that isn't for any media to arbitrate. This isn't about what dems do or don't do. There doesn't need to be a spotlight on 45's outdoor ego strokes. It's ALL about a social media platform that is it's own community or environment, that can be made more toxic by the presence of one enormous gaping mawing asshole.

Let's be real. The same asshats cheering about Musk getting Twitter, were the same asshats that ran to Parler and whatever 45' claims he has going on. Those asshats YEARN to be on Twitter over anything else, because of the platforms size, and because other people are there. Parler & whatever were going to be just White guys in red baseball caps circle jerking each other in a forest no one gives a shit about or hear. That's no fun, they want to be on Twitter trolling hot women who will never look at them, LGBTQA enjoying life more than them, whining about why a White male isn't headlining a every major project, and wondering why they can't go viral like some 16 year PoC. Of late a large portion of these idiots find themselves ratio'd or pointed out for self owning on Twitter. They NEED their orange leader to embolden them so they can raise their game even more. So they can out Milo, Milo who now finds himself on the wrong end of their attention.

That's what 45 brings. Forget the politics. 45 brings the very swamp & decay he laughingly said he would get rid of, but instead took it along with various bits of classified info to Florida. 45 rots anything he gets involved with, and his followers cheer on as the rot festers & increases in speed faster than normal. I keep hearing how people want to promote Twitter as some kind of "Town square", it'll be a town square filled with screaming assholes acting like drunk frat boys, because the richest guy in the world thinks it funny. The only "funny" part of any of this, is when Musk's Twitter eventually pisses off 45 ( when 45's schtick gets tired he'll probably complain Musk is curbing his tweets ), and 45 directs his ire at Musk. Which means the same assholes cheering Musk on now, will be claiming he's some kind of "woke" liberal nazi who doesn't respect their first amendment rights.

Top Bottom
1 2