Elon Musk says he plans to lift Donald Trump’s Twitter ban: ‘It was a morally bad decision’

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

Let me preface this by saying I am not a fan of Elon musk. I can respect him for revolutionizing the EV and general automotive industry. He also revolutionized the space launch industry with a relatively high degree of reusability- (but frankly I think that has far less to do with novel concepts and design and a lot more to do with cutting out politics and legacy defense contractors who have little incentive to innovate while making it as costly as possible.

But anyone see the irony of Musk calling out Twitter for potentially deceiving the public, investors, and SEC regarding the prevalence of bots? Coming from the guy who has claimed things like:
- “$420 funding secured”
-Full self driving in 2018- no new hardware required
- Tesla Semi 2 in 2019
- Roadster 2 in 2020
- 1m robotaxis by 2020
- $35,000 Model 3

I could go on… The Boring Co/Hyperloop is nonsense, I have a little difficulty believing Starlink will be profitable, let alone fund a mars colony. Neurolink is dubious in terms of what they first marketed and what they will actually deliver. His companies have been known for sketchy business practices and accounting. He’s also literally the worst public speaker.

Anyways, any instance of sexual harassment or abuse should be investigated and taken seriously. At the same time, the accused should not be condemned until evidence proves guilt- particularly if he had no track record.

In this case I’m a bit suspicious of the accusation. I’ve never heard rumors about Elon harassing women. In most high profile cases it is often an open secret as it’s usually a pattern. The fact SpaceX paid out doesn’t necessarily mean anything. There is a first time for everything though.

The other suspicious element is the timing. The alleged incident occurred in 2018. Why not leak the story when he was in trouble with the SEC or when won Time’s person of the year in 2021?

Musk doesn’t have a ton of credibility, (at least with business) in my book and has made some interesting relationship choices. But I have no idea what the credibility of the accuser either. I guess we’ll have to see.

It will be interesting to see if Musk or SpaceX sues over the breach of NDA.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Anyways, any instance of sexual harassment or abuse should be investigated and taken seriously. At the same time, the accused should not be condemned until evidence proves guilt- particularly if he had no track record.

In this case I’m a bit suspicious of the accusation. I’ve never heard rumors about Elon harassing women. In most high profile cases it is often an open secret as it’s usually a pattern. The fact SpaceX paid out doesn’t necessarily mean anything. There is a first time for everything though.

The other suspicious element is the timing. The alleged incident occurred in 2018. Why not leak the story when he was in trouble with the SEC or when won Time’s person of the year in 2021?

Musk doesn’t have a ton of credibility, (at least with business) in my book and has made some interesting relationship choices. But I have no idea what the credibility of the accuser either. I guess we’ll have to see.

Just for clarification

The incident happened in 2016.

The settlement was 2018.

As for why you (?) hadn't heard any rumors of this, it's because as with almost anything involving Musk the severance came with a powerful NDA. Just as his first wife about those. It was a friend who released the information, who isn't a party to the NDA. As far as the timing, one should obviously question, but it does come on the heels of another woman filed suit last year against the company for sexual harassment. The friend of the woman who got the severance claimed she did it for other survivors of such encounters. As with such things you probably know they are never revealed at the time, but tend to build like water in a damn. At some point these things get out, and it's rarely just one incident. It's when victims feel empowered to band together against something powerful, we finally hear more stories.

The timing is I am sure as coincidental though as Musk's sudden pivot to be a republican, while claiming to an advocate for free speech while slapping NDA's & hiring private investigators to smear someone on Twitter.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Let me preface this by saying I am not a fan of Elon musk. I can respect him for revolutionizing the EV and general automotive industry. He also revolutionized the space launch industry with a relatively high degree of reusability- (but frankly I think that has far less to do with novel concepts and design and a lot more to do with cutting out politics and legacy defense contractors who have little incentive to innovate while making it as costly as possible.

But anyone see the irony of Musk calling out Twitter for potentially deceiving the public, investors, and SEC regarding the prevalence of bots? Coming from the guy who has claimed things like:
- “$420 funding secured”
-Full self driving in 2018- no new hardware required
- Tesla Semi 2 in 2019
- Roadster 2 in 2020
- 1m robotaxis by 2020
- $35,000 Model 3

I could go on… The Boring Co/Hyperloop is nonsense, I have a little difficulty believing Starlink will be profitable, let alone fund a mars colony. Neurolink is dubious in terms of what they first marketed and what they will actually deliver. His companies have been known for sketchy business practices and accounting. He’s also literally the worst public speaker.

Tesla's Full Self Driving is one of the biggest scams in history. Charging people $12K for a "feature" that doesn't exist for most drivers, currently only 11% have it yet is sold to nearly everyone and to qualify is nearly impossible because they made it so stringent due to all the accidents. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit over this practice.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tesla's Full Self Driving is one of the biggest scams in history. Charging people $12K for a "feature" that doesn't exist for most drivers, currently only 11% have it yet is sold to nearly everyone and to qualify is nearly impossible because they made it so stringent due to all the accidents. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit over this practice.
even then its not full driving and still requires a driver.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
even then its not full driving and still requires a driver.
I think most would be happy if they would just give the features they advertise with it. All the beta fine print is there but most buyers seem unaware because they're wrapped up in all the other cool features, which I get, but it's at the very least misleading.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
I think most would be happy if they would just give the features they advertise with it. All the beta fine print is there but most buyers seem unaware because they're wrapped up in all the other cool features, which I get, but it's at the very least misleading.
This is a huge argument over in TMC, technically there is only 1 feature folks buying "FSD" do not get (Navigate/Autosteer on City Streets), the rest of the features, that used to be in EAP, are present.

Its also likely Tesla will never sell an automation feature that is better than Level 2 as they would have to take liability for any accidents that could happen.
I 100% do not think what they are selling should be called FSD. I also think they should separate the features out and sell them separately a la Porsche. I also think NHTSA should have more of a hand in these automation features that are being sold (like they do in EU).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is a huge argument over in TMC, technically there is only 1 feature folks buying "FSD" do not get (Navigate/Autosteer on City Streets), the rest of the features, that used to be in EAP, are present.

Its also likely Tesla will never sell an automation feature that is better than Level 2 as they would have to take liability for any accidents that could happen.
I 100% do not think what they are selling should be called FSD. I also think they should separate the features out and sell them separately a la Porsche. I also think NHTSA should have more of a hand in these automation features that are being sold (like they do in EU).
It's a great forum but you are not allowed any criticism, even legitimately and diplomatically mentioned, or you face the wrath of all their fanboys.

However, if you were to tell buyers that all you get is auto lane change and auto off ramps for that price, most would not do it. Arguably, many choose against the FSD purchase because they understand this but most do not know the patchwork labyrinth of automated rules you must pass before you can use Navigate/Autosteer on City Streets.

I even started a thread over at TMC about this and many members, who are informed owners, still had a hard time explaining the differences. So how can a new consumer possibly know? If they phrased it like "89% of Tesla drivers will not get all FSD features" you can bet nobody would sign on for it.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
It's a great forum but you are not allowed any criticism, even legitimately and diplomatically mentioned, or you face the wrath of all their fanboys.

However, if you were to tell buyers that all you get is auto lane change and auto off ramps for that price, most would not do it. Arguably, many choose against the FSD purchase because they understand this but most do not know the patchwork labyrinth of automated rules you must pass before you can use Navigate/Autosteer on City Streets.

I even started a thread over at TMC about this and many members, who are informed owners, still had a hard time explaining the differences. So how can a new consumer possibly know? If they phrased it like "89% of Tesla drivers will not get all FSD features" you can bet nobody would sign on for it.
I would posit Tesla screwed up in allowing folks to request the FSD Beta with a press of a button, as it is very confusing. Well that and the stupid name of the beta overall. They should have called it Autosteer on City streets or Navigate on Autopilot: City Streets.

And folks rightfully shouldn't buy the existing package for 12 grand for what is currently given. Tesla really should stop taking customer input for stuff cause as we would be talking about if these features (Traffic lights, and NoA:CS) were worth the 3/4 grand they used to cost instead.

EDIT: I saw your post and did reply but not to you directly (I really don't like the FSD Beta name cause the whole stupid package is still beta).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Musk is going deeper into the hole of toxic masculinity and misogyny now. I don’t even want to link to his latest tweet.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Musk is going deeper into the hole of toxic masculinity and misogyny now. I don’t even want to link to his latest tweet.

Just saw this - should I apply?

1653250184240.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just saw this - should I apply?

View attachment 14270
Seems like maybe he should focus on better quality control and taking care of his customers rather than attacking them.

He also said this:
Musk has previously said that he doesn’t settle under any condition, and he put that policy to the test during a lawsuit over the acquisition of SolarCity. All other defendants, who consisted of Tesla’s board, settled when investors sued over alleged mishandling of Tesla’s SolarCity allegation except for Musk.

Which we clearly now know is untrue or he wouldn't have paid that woman $250,000. Needless to say he's trying to take attention away from this story which is dominating the headlines.

I can't tell you how much I wish he would've just stuck to cars and rockets, he's devolving and the whole thing is sad.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Seems like maybe he should focus on better quality control and taking care of his customers rather than attacking them.

He also said this:

Which we clearly now know is untrue or he wouldn't have paid that woman $250,000. Needless to say he's trying to take attention away from this story which is dominating the headlines.

I can't tell you how much I wish he would've just stuck to cars and rockets, he's devolving and the whole thing is sad.
I kind of wish Twitter would suspend or ban him. Especially since the whole SEC settlement doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

He also said this:

Well good luck suing folks using in-house attorneys. I guess he doesn’t realize that doesn’t work because of protective orders; in any litigation there are documents and information that the suing party isn’t allowed to see, but outside counsel can see. If you don’t let outside counsel run the show, you are operating without all of the information.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

He also said this:

That sounds strangely familiar to a former 2X impeached political official.

I kind of wish Twitter would suspend or ban him. Especially since the whole SEC settlement doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

It isn't in Twitter's best interests to do so. Self destructing isn't an offense, and it does promote engagement & views.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That sounds strangely familiar to a former 2X impeached political official.

Don’t worry. First order of business early next year will be to expunge those impeachments. Because apparently we’re just making up new parts of the constitution now.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Don’t worry. First order of business early next year will be to expunge those impeachments. Because apparently we’re just making up new parts of the constitution now.
Because the r's are all about governing.

No agenda to speak of, and not even concerned with making one to tackle any real problems.

But hey, lets spend time wiping an impeachment off the books. As if that would make anyone forget. All about them feelings that they want to F.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
He's gone full MAGA

His feed is full of epoch times conspiracy theories about spying on trump, etc. He’s gone full Pillow Guy.

And my next car will not be a Tesla. So when my Tesla’s battery dies, at least I know I’ll be getting car play :)

Top Bottom
1 2