Elon Musk says he plans to lift Donald Trump’s Twitter ban: ‘It was a morally bad decision’

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
His feed is full of epoch times conspiracy theories about spying on trump, etc. He’s gone full Pillow Guy.

And my next car will not be a Tesla. So when my Tesla’s battery dies, at least I know I’ll be getting car play :)
What is he expecting? It's like Trump turning on white nationalists, only even he knew better than to alienate his base. I can honestly say had he acted like this months ago I would NOT have purchased this car.

The people he's trying to court are more interested in rolling coal than spending $60K on one of his electric cars. I believe he has a strategy here, aside from taking the attention off of the sexual harassment thing, but I don't think it will pay off.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I believe he has a strategy here, aside from taking the attention off of the sexual harassment thing, but I don't think it will pay off.

This is what I think as well. Musk may be a little crazy, but he's far from stupid. There's some cynical angle being played here.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what I think as well. Musk may be a little crazy, but he's far from stupid. There's some cynical angle being played here.
Isn’t it as simple as “republicans are going to be taking over soon, and, being that they are incredibly corrupt, i can make a lot more money being MAGA than I can selling cars and solar panels?”

Renzatic

Reaction score
Isn’t it as simple as “republicans are going to be taking over soon, and, being that they are incredibly corrupt, i can make a lot more money being MAGA than I can selling cars and solar panels?”

Either that, or he's playing the victim of cancel culture card as a way to worm his way out of something.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Tesla's Full Self Driving is one of the biggest scams in history. Charging people $12K for a "feature" that doesn't exist for most drivers, currently only 11% have it yet is sold to nearly everyone and to qualify is nearly impossible because they made it so stringent due to all the accidents. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit over this practice.

Yeah, “buying” an option that does not exist sounds like a very poor financial decision to me. And $12k for the functions that are offered is absurd. Not to mention not particularly ethical from the business side of things. And I’m guessing those funds are not being held in escrow so if they fail to deliver the promised product the money will be there to be reimbursed, at least in part.

The term”full self driving” I think is actually worse than “autopilot”. Despite public misperceptions, autopilot systems on planes and ships and are still intended to have pilots and helmsmen are still expected to be actively involved in monitoring the surrounding of the vehicle. The term FSD especially in conjunction with Musks claims about using the system in order to run your car as a Robotaxi in its spare time alludes to the idea the car will eventually completely operate itself. I suspect we are a long ways away from that.

Musks marketing is very much about vision than the actual product. The hyperloop is a great idea, but likely not remotely feasible or practical in reality. The idea of using StarShip to travel halfway around the world in 20min as a practical alternative to airplanes is not remotely realistic. The idea we need a mars colony because one day the earth will be inhabitable because of climate change is absurd. I imagine the most screwed up earth from climate change is far more habitable (or at least no less inhabitable) than the surface of mars (300F degree temperature swings, 50x more radiation than earth, no O2, virtually no water, highly abrasive dust, etc). It’s really just using climate change to promote his company.

The rapidly reusable rocket is a worthwhile goal, but I’m not sure we’ll ever see human-carrying spacecraft, especially one with no launch escape system, being turned around for launch like a commercial aircraft in our lifetime. Weeks, perhaps even days, but not hours. I would think there would need to be massive advances in material or propulsion.

Renzatic

Reaction score
The idea we need a mars colony because one day the earth will be inhabitable because of climate change is absurd. I imagine the most screwed up earth from climate change is far more habitable (or at least no less inhabitable) than the surface of mars (300F degree temperature swings, 50x more radiation than earth, no O2, virtually no water, highly abrasive dust, etc). It’s really just using climate change to promote his company

I prefer to think of a Mars colony as asteroid insurance.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I prefer to think of a Mars colony as asteroid insurance.

I think it makes sense as a scientific endeavor and technological goal. It’s hard to imagine a mars colony surviving without earth. The amount of infrastructure that would be required to build even the most basic self sustaining living environment is astronomical (no pun intended).

Renzatic

Reaction score
I think it makes sense as a scientific endeavor and technological goal. It’s hard to imagine a mars colony surviving without earth. The amount of infrastructure that would be required to build even the most basic self sustaining living environment is astronomical (no pun intended).

It's not just building it that's the issue, but having a large enough population to assure genetic diversity to prevent inbreeding in case the colony is cut off entirely from Earth. You'd need at least, what, 50,000 people for that?

We could make a scientific outpost relatively easily. Creating a truly self sustaining colony would take at least 100 years of constant work.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, “buying” an option that does not exist sounds like a very poor financial decision to me. And $12k for the functions that are offered is absurd. Not to mention not particularly ethical from the business side of things. And I’m guessing those funds are not being held in escrow so if they fail to deliver the promised product the money will be there to be reimbursed, at least in part.

The term”full self driving” I think is actually worse than “autopilot”. Despite public misperceptions, autopilot systems on planes and ships and are still intended to have pilots and helmsmen are still expected to be actively involved in monitoring the surrounding of the vehicle. The term FSD especially in conjunction with Musks claims about using the system in order to run your car as a Robotaxi in its spare time alludes to the idea the car will eventually completely operate itself. I suspect we are a long ways away from that.

Musks marketing is very much about vision than the actual product. The hyperloop is a great idea, but likely not remotely feasible or practical in reality. The idea of using StarShip to travel halfway around the world in 20min as a practical alternative to airplanes is not remotely realistic. The idea we need a mars colony because one day the earth will be inhabitable because of climate change is absurd. I imagine the most screwed up earth from climate change is far more habitable (or at least no less inhabitable) than the surface of mars (300F degree temperature swings, 50x more radiation than earth, no O2, virtually no water, highly abrasive dust, etc). It’s really just using climate change to promote his company.

The rapidly reusable rocket is a worthwhile goal, but I’m not sure we’ll ever see human-carrying spacecraft, especially one with no launch escape system, being turned around for launch like a commercial aircraft in our lifetime. Weeks, perhaps even days, but not hours. I would think there would need to be massive advances in material or propulsion.

They should just rename autopilot Darwin Mode, both letting you know it's a work in progress and labeling anybody who dies in an accident related to putting their faith 100% in it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I find it hard to place 100% of the blame on Tesla for the whole FSD debacle though, at one time it was open to everyone and while there were legitimate concerns, there were also idiots who were completely irresponsible about it forcing Tesla into overregulation. Like anything else, you need some sort of personal responsibility.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I find it hard to place 100% of the blame on Tesla for the whole FSD debacle though, at one time it was open to everyone and while there were legitimate concerns, there were also idiots who were completely irresponsible about it forcing Tesla into overregulation. Like anything else, you need some sort of personal responsibility.

A self driving Tesla is the ultimate douche canoe. We’ve somehow managed to drive cars by human pilot for over 100 years and at this point there’s no scenario where a complete computer pilot is necessary. Maybe down the road if we killed all speed limits and had some kind of hivemind safety sync, but that’s not where we are at now. Where we’re at now is people wanting to be lazy and continue their distraction multi tasking. I don’t know how many deaths have been caused by this reliance but I haven’t heard of any where the driver was doing something more important than driving the car.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A self driving Tesla is the ultimate douche canoe. We’ve somehow managed to drive cars by human pilot for over 100 years and at this point there’s no scenario where a complete computer pilot is necessary.

There are already a number of self-driving taxis, delivery services, mass transit systems, and almost every major manufacturer has some level of autonomous driving on their roadmap. Regardless of what Tesla does/doesn't do, it's been in play before they started, and will be ongoing even they tank tomorrow.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
There are already a number of self-driving taxis, delivery services, mass transit systems, and almost every major manufacturer has some level of autonomous driving on their roadmap. Regardless of what Tesla does/doesn't do, it's been in play before they started, and will be ongoing even they tank tomorrow.
Yep, just a matter of time before we are passengers behind the wheel of our own cars and it's hard not to get excited about all the tech going into it. My guess is there will eventually be universal standards for them all and it will fall into place, right now it's sort of the wild west.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

No, it’s certainly nowhere near 100% Teslas fault. But they do have culpability in overstating the the reliability of the system in their marketing, which is what people pay most attention to. Once again, selling the vision rather than the actual functioning product. But also shame on the government for not having some rules in place to help prevent such accidents.

It's not just building it that's the issue, but having a large enough population to assure genetic diversity to prevent inbreeding in case the colony is cut off entirely from Earth. You'd need at least, what, 50,000 people for that?

We could make a scientific outpost relatively easily. Creating a truly self sustaining colony would take at least 100 years of constant work.

There’s a theory in biology called the 50/500 rule. You need a starting fertile population of 50 to reduce the chances of inbreeding and 500 to reduce genetic drift.

But the biggest problem in my mind in order to survive on mars you’d have to not only sustain the population, you’d also need to be able to build all the technology used to survive- which of course is sophisticated. It’s not like you bring a piece of equipment to mars and it will last for the rest of time and it’s not like the population could live as cavemen. So even if the people live as “primitively” as possible you’d have to build mines and refining equipment to source the materials to build everything from structures to computer chips to spacesuits, to medical supplies/equipment, to an endless list of machines (and machines to make the material for the machines), etc. Since there is no oil on mars so easily making polymers (plastics, rubbers, synthetic fibers, etc), lubricants, waxes, just became much more difficult if not impractical.

And solar power probably isn’t sufficient to power all the necessary industrial processes, especially considering all the dust storms. Wind isn’t entirely practical either due to the thin atmosphere. You’d probably have to build nuclear plants. Not exactly easy to do, even on earth.

I have no idea how many people would be necessary to actually sustain a population in practical terms but I would guess it would be far more than 50,000… probably millions. It would be an interesting study for someone to calculate. I suppose human-like robots and a sufficient level of AI is the answer, but that’s a long ways off.

You’d probably have better luck hopping in a time machine, going back 250 years, giving an iPhone to civilization, and asking them to reverse engineer it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

But we're not there yet and what we have is a bunch of unpaid beta testers with potentially deadly results. I don't know what the information is on the investigations on all the accidents but it sounds like in each case the driver was operating outside the safety recommendations, and again, were they really doing anything that was much more important than watching the road?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
But we're not there yet and what we have is a bunch of unpaid beta testers with potentially deadly results. I don't know what the information is on the investigations on all the accidents but it sounds like in each case the driver was operating outside the safety recommendations, and again, were they really doing anything that was much more important than watching the road?
How about the effect on the other drivers on the road? The regulations are woefully inadequate for this technology. There should be federal testing that manufacturers need to pass if they want to include such tech in a car.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And solar power probably isn’t sufficient to power all the necessary industrial processes, especially considering all the dust storms. Wind isn’t entirely practical either due to the thin atmosphere. You’d probably have to build nuclear plants. Not exactly easy to do, even on earth.

And there is that pesky lack of a magnetic field that protects us Earth dwellers from solar radiation.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
How about the effect on the other drivers on the road? The regulations are woefully inadequate for this technology. There should be federal testing that manufacturers need to pass if they want to include such tech in a car.
How smart can lane keep and traffic aware cruise control get before the government needs to step in and regulate it?

Top Bottom
1 2