Emerging EV battery technologies

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting article about companies working on new EV battery tech.

From ceramics to using silicon instead of graphite to store energy, we might be looking at cars that can recharge fully in 10 minutes in the future.

(paywall removed)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just saw an article that said even using the same chemistry, other changes will have 20% improvements in the very near future (and generally they mean power density, so trivial changes to weight and no changes to packaging).

Thanks for the de-paywalled article (I print those out to PDF, into a my iCloud and read them in the evenings on the iPad :geek:)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Here’s an interesting article about companies working on new EV battery tech.

From ceramics to using silicon instead of graphite to store energy, we might be looking at cars that can recharge fully in 10 minutes in the future.

(paywall removed)
Yeah, this is definitely the future. I know that even now with preconditioning on my Tesla I can probably easily get over 100 miles in 10 minutes at a supercharging station, not that different from getting gas when you consider there are no lines or wait times.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Charging speed vs. capacity is an interesting conversation too.

i.e., would you rather have an EV that goes xxx miles on a charge or one that does yyy miles but can charge those back in 5< minutes (where yyy < xxx by some Z :D)

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
One simple way to improve range: design the car body and battery together. This is a long way from being a new idea, and it is being worked on as we speak.

A car body weighs a lot. A battery pack weighs a lot. Combining the two into the same component would reduce the weight of the vehicle enough that the batteries would almost come for free. Ideally, manufacturers would come up with a modular design so that battery replacement might even be an option.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Curious to see how Lithium Sulfur battery chemistry pans out. It appears to have interesting benefits over conventional Lithium batteries - greater energy density, better safety (no catastrophic failure), no nickel/cobalt (lower cost), lighter weight, faster charging.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
One simple way to improve range: design the car body and battery together. This is a long way from being a new idea, and it is being worked on as we speak.

A car body weighs a lot. A battery pack weighs a lot. Combining the two into the same component would reduce the weight of the vehicle enough that the batteries would almost come for free. Ideally, manufacturers would come up with a modular design so that battery replacement might even be an option.
Here's a more recent article about structural battery packs which says that's been implemented to some extent in the Tesla Model Y and the GM Hummer EV:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

One of the reasons I like my i3. It doesn’t weigh much at all. The steel has been replaced by carbon fibre, aluminium and plastic.

Top Bottom
1 2