End to a perfect day…

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Golden hour aka Wine o'clock.

Sun going down over the hills and casting long shadows over the Avon valley.

Sunset.jpeg

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Lovely! Is it the Netherlands? (Based on the boat).
Looking at the window, its the UK!
I like the deduction! 🙂

Actually it is in Bath, UK.
The boat you saw in the other pic canal is on the Kennet and Avon Canal

Built during the 18th Century to link the River Avon to the navigable Thames… so goods could be transported from Bristol harbour to London wharfs by barge.
Then of course it fell out of use as technologies overtook the slow barges.

It was restored from the 1960s deep into the 80s.
Now it is about 90 miles of walking/cycling path with a canal for houseboats etc.

Link

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I like gloomy weather. And the fall. And the rain. It makes me feel like the weather finally matches my mood most of the time.
One of my favourite songs of all time is Garbage's "I'm Only Happy When It Rains". It certainly fit my general mood in the mid '90s… but… while I still like their stuff, I nowadays find springtime my favourite. Autumn has its beauty.

Still! There is a lot to be said for melancholia.

I remember a train ride from London to Lincoln one very bleak winter's day. The flat, flat landscape, the snow drifts, the utter stillness. It was a slow train as well, stopping everywhere Dr Beeching's axe didn't fall.
Anyone who has travelled that route will relate. I think.

My soundtrack?
Le Roi Renaud - Le Poème Harmonique

But, Bath is beautiful in any weather.

And Bath stone is gorgeous; and I simply adore sash windows.
It does look very good in the rising and setting sun. The gold really glows.

Sash windows are great. They open so wide and really good for controlling airflow.

When we moved to an Edwardian house in London the sashes were in terrible condition. The previous occupants had been stuffing newspapers in the joints, until it all became a lump of papier mâché… and so making the problems worse. Anyway. I took them all down and stripped them, re-hung them with new cables and they worked with not a draft or rattle.

People are very often unwilling to put work in to living in old houses. They are so rewarding. As the old saw goes, "Architects always live in old houses."
And it is very true! 😄

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
One of my favourite songs of all time is Garbage's "I'm Only Happy When It Rains". It certainly fit my general mood in the mid '90s… but… while I still like their stuff, I nowadays find springtime my favourite. Autumn has its beauty.

Still! There is a lot to be said for melancholia.

I remember a train ride from London to Lincoln one very bleak winter's day. The flat, flat landscape, the snow drifts, the utter stillness. It was a slow train as well, stopping everywhere Dr Beeching's axe didn't fall.
Anyone who has travelled that route will relate. I think.

My soundtrack?
Le Roi Renaud - Le Poème Harmonique

It does look very good in the rising and setting sun. The gold really glows.

Sash windows are great. They open so wide and really good for controlling airflow.

When we moved to an Edwardian house in London the sashes were in terrible condition. The previous occupants had been stuffing newspapers in the joints, until it all became a lump of papier mâché… and so making the problems worse. Anyway. I took them all down and stripped them, re-hung them with new cables and they worked with not a draft or rattle.

People are very often unwilling to put work in to living in old houses. They are so rewarding. As the old saw goes, "Architects always live in old houses."
And it is very true! 😄

I spent the first three years of my life in the top storey of an old late Georgian town house, where my parents had a flat, while my parents were waiting for our house to be built; I think it imprinted on me that way that baby ducks are said to have been imprinted by their early experiences, for I love old houses, and thrill to them, and worse, feel awfully and completely at home in them.

Both of my parents grew up in old houses, and neither liked the lack of heat (okay, we are talking about WW2 childhoods); they were firmly in the camp of insisting on the provision of modern creature comforts.

However, I think you can have modern creature comforts (modern bathrooms, proper heating) and still live in old houses at the one and same time.

Top Bottom
1 2