Enjoy your vacation, Mitch.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This is beyond ridiculous. The country is in the midst of a pandemic and these overpaid cretins are taking more time off. I don't know what sort of game these bastards are playing, but its incredibly insulting and cruel. People's lives are falling apart and the only time these so-called "fiscal conservatives" seem to worry about budgeting and debt is when its not their rich fat cat friends getting the money.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Rachel Maddow said last night that some Democrats are asking for Congress to be called back next week. I totally agree—ASAP, before more damage is done to the postal service. That, or file for an injunction to stop it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Our unusual senator, Doug Jones, here in Alabama is using that in his campaign. He wants to go back to work and finish the job. (His opponent still has no clue what the job is.) (Hi, I’m Tommy Tuberville, and I coach

I am angry that we pay them and allow them to take vacation when a major project is incomplete. In any other job they would be working overtime to finish.

People are dying and losing their homes. Not even the band plays on.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Our unusual senator, Doug Jones, here in Alabama is using that in his campaign. He wants to go back to work and finish the job. (His opponent still has no clue what the job is.) (Hi, I’m Tommy Tuberville, and I coach...
Yeah, and Tuberville is leading in the polls. 😒

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
This is beyond ridiculous. The country is in the midst of a pandemic and these overpaid cretins are taking more time off. I don't know what sort of game these bastards are playing, but its incredibly insulting and cruel. People's lives are falling apart and the only time these so-called "fiscal conservatives" seem to worry about budgeting and debt is when its not their rich fat cat friends getting the money.

Yeah do they not get what it's like to go to bed now and stare at the ceiling and think about how the deferred rent is coming down the road and there's no assurance of not being evicted over it pretty soon.. plus the stress over how school for the kids --or online/in-person college-- is going to work out (or, not), and whether upticks in virus cases will make grocery hoarding a problem again (Wall Street says yeah that's happening already) and where's the grocery money coming from anyway, and...

If there was ever a time to print money, this summer was that time in the USA. Rule one on that is a government can do whatever it has to do when it has to do it... and yet these selfish sods are haggling over ideological ornaments each side wants in a bill that basically just needs to keep people from heading on down the road to becomimg a couple generations of homeless, starving, ignorant dolts... possibly with physical or neurological scars from infection by a virus that we still don't fully understand. And now they leave town for a couple weeks to rest their hyperpartisan brains while ours just loop through the downsides of being an American in the summer of 2020.

We supposedly sign off on the government we stick into Washington DC, and now on top of this recalcitrance of the current lot, should we wish to pink-slip them, we also have Trump in essence saying hey due to the need for mail-in ballots this year, and due to the fact my supporters are probably outnumbered, my guy in the PO is gonna make it tough for the so many more mail ballots to get processed, and by the way I'm not sure I'm gonna accept the results of this election anyway...

Ya know if this script came in over the transom there's not an editor on the planet would even call it worthy of becoming a dime novel.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
They all need minimum wage with no bennies.

Actually, no, I beg to differ.

I'm in the camp that thinks (believes) that politicians should be very well paid, not least so that they can afford to pay a decent support staff (to keep them briefed about the stuff they should be expected to know and master).

The profession of politics should not be confined to the already exceptionally well off, or those who are already exceedingly comfortable, not simply because - even unconsciously - without attributing ill will - they would govern in their own interests, but that they would be deprived of even the most basic knowledge of - or awareness of - the lives, and needs of others, everyone else, those who do not hail from such privileged backgrounds.

Above all, paying them well, ensures - or ought to ensure - that they are financially independent.

That means that it frees them from having to be in the pocket of - or being in the pocket of - powerful special interest groups, or having to accept financial and other support from sources that may subsequently lay claim to their loyalty, or allegiance, ahead of their primary allegiance to the electorate that elected them, or to the chamber that they sit in as elected representatives, and the laws they have sworn to uphold (and may have a mandate to amend or change).

However, that comes with the caveat that the book should be thrown at them - and they should be made wholly accountable (and punished appropriately) - should they engage in corrupt practices while in office, when they are supposed to be serving the public good while holding office as a public representative.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that’s why we have the kind of people currently in politics. They are already wealthy. But too many of them are not looking to champion the rest of us, they’re looking to add power to their wealth so that they can rise above the rest of us.

The politician doesn’t have to be paid well to support a good staff. Why aren’t they the ones getting the good salaries?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, no, I beg to differ.

I'm in the camp that thinks (believes) that politicians should be very well paid, not least so that they can afford to pay a decent support staff (to keep them briefed about the stuff they should be expected to know and master).

The profession of politics should not be confined to the already exceptionally well off, or those who are already exceedingly comfortable, not simply because - even unconsciously - without attributing ill will - they would govern in their on interests, but that they would be deprived of even the most basic knowledge of - or awareness of - the lives, and needs of others, everyone else, those who do not hail from such privileged backgrounds.

Above all, paying them well, ensures - or ought to ensure - that they are independent financially, and that it frees them from being in the pocket of powerful special interest groups, or having to accept financial and other support from sources that may subsequently lay claim to their loyalty, or allegiance, ahead of their primary allegiance to the electorate that elected them, or the chamber they sit in as elected representatives, and the laws they have sworn to uphold (and may have a mandate to amend or change).

However, that comes with the caveat that the book should be thrown at them - and they should be made wholly accountable (and punished appropriately) - should they engage in corrupt practices while in office, when they are supposed to be serving the public good while holding office as a public representative.

In the US corruption isn’t a bug. It’s a feature.

You can’t have a highly capitalist consumerist society like the US and pay public servants (and police and teachers) as little as possible and expect results that benefit the society.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
In the US corruption isn’t a bug. It’s a feature.

You can’t have a highly capitalist consumerist society like the US and pay public servants (and police and teachers) as little as possible and expect results that benefit the society.

Agreed.

Which is why I believe - have always believed - that nurses, police, teachers and public servants should be well paid.

Of course, that suggests higher taxes, which I also support.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed.

Which is why I believe - have always believed - that nurses, police, teachers and public servants should be well paid.

Of course, that suggests higher taxes, which I also support.

But let’s not bother the billionaires and hundred millionaires with that. It’s not like the masses contributed to their wealth except for the fact that they did.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
But let’s not bother the billionaires and hundred millionaires with that. It’s not like the masses contributed to their wealth except for the fact that they did.

As someone who has voted left (social democrat in a European political culture) all my life, I have absolutely no issues with - and a strong belief in - imposing taxes on those who are already more than amply well resourced.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
As someone who has voted left (social democrat in a European political culture) all my life, I have absolutely no issues with - and a strong belief in - imposing taxes on those who are already more than amply well resourced.

Starting at about the 80's we were brainwashed in the US to worship the rich, and the richer the more worship they deserve. So now we have loud vocal hundred-thousandaires defending the millionaires and billionaires like they're all in the same boat.

Since the rich tend to like to be in control of their charitable acts, I'd be open to some kind of tax system where they pay more but can decide where a percentage goes to based on funds needed and it won't be art museums, horse stables, or college stadiums. It would be choices like education, healthcare, and housing assistance.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Starting at about the 80's we were brainwashed in the US to worship the rich, and the richer the more worship they deserve. So now we have loud vocal hundred-thousandaires defending the millionaires and billionaires like they're all in the same boat.

Since the rich tend to like to be in control of their charitable acts, I'd be open to some kind of tax system where they pay more but can decide where a percentage goes to based on funds needed and it won't be art museums, horse stables, or college stadiums. It would be choices like education, healthcare, and housing assistance.

That is an excellent idea.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Great idea, but these rich bastards would find someway of making sure whatever tax money is “donated” to a specific sector would find a way back into their pocket, probably with an interest payment on top.

Top Bottom
1 2