EU passes massive regulation of "Big Tech" companies.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sorry - it was an old joke.
I see, it was lost on me.

BTW, I went to the EU website to try to find the text. I got stuck in an endless loop of clicking on links that looked like they would finally take me to the text, but instead just take me to a different press release about the text.
It sounds like these new laws are off to a good start. Assuming you're ever able to actually take a gander at the text, then please let us know what you think. I know you don't comment about law on the internet, but this is outside your jurisdiction, and we're talking about regulations, not a court case you might be involved in.

Speaking of things that you're involved in, I made the mistake of posting over at the MR forums for the first in over a month. Somebody asked where you were, I replied how you got sick of dealing with the hucksters and malcontents who hide behind their forum rules. I then posted a link to this forum and invited any reasonable people to join us here. The MR moderators were not happy about this. I assumed this was a sore spot, but I didn't realize just how upset the mass exodus has made them.

Sorry for wandering off-topic, but it's a slow news day, and I thought the schadenfreude was amusing.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

It sounds like these new laws are off to a good start. Assuming you're ever able to actually take a gander at the text, then please let us know what you think. I know you don't comment about law on the internet, but this is outside your jurisdiction, and we're talking about regulations, not a court case you might be involved in.

Speaking of things that you're involved in, I made the mistake of posting over at the MR forums for the first in over a month. Somebody asked where you were, I replied how you got sick of dealing with the hucksters and malcontents who hide behind their forum rules. I then posted a link to this forum and invited any reasonable people to join us here. The MR moderators were not happy about this. I assumed this was a sore spot, but I didn't realize just how upset the mass exodus has made them.

Sorry for wandering off-topic, but it's a slow news day, and I thought the schadenfreude was amusing.
they removed your post, i assume?

by the way, it looks like the final text has been agreed upon, but not made public. Hell of a way to legislate.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

LOL. Also this: "Maier was pre-Ryzen that almost BK'd AMD."

I was Opteron and Athlon 64. These saved the company. We invented x86-64. When I left AMD we were profitable. They started losing money AFTER I left. I had nothing to do with bulldozer, which I criticized heavily. He's just wrong.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
they removed your post, i assume?
Yeah, they deleted my reply, I received a terse note that I was "off-topic", and let me off with a warning or face dire consequences from the mod squad. Seeing how there were plenty of off-topic posts in that thread, somebody was clearly offended. Whether that was our little friend, or one of the moderators, I can't say. I have my suspicions, and I think it's the tiny antagonist who is enraged that they can't attempt to pathetically snipe at your ankles anymore.

LOL. Also this: "Maier was pre-Ryzen that almost BK'd AMD."
Our little friend was simply pulling nonsense out of the ether and using lies to smear you, so I corrected the statement, as best I could. I realize that it's a waste of time engaging that particular entity, but if I can separate fact from fiction for other folks who don't realize what they are dealing with, then it might be worth it.

...whether it is worth it for my sanity is another issue. I think I'll go back to my old plan of staying put right here with the sane people.
by the way, it looks like the final text has been agreed upon, but not made public. Hell of a way to legislate.
I look forward to your analysis.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah, they deleted my reply, I received a terse note that I was "off-topic", and let me off with a warning or face dire consequences from the mod squad. Seeing how there were plenty of off-topic posts in that thread, somebody was clearly offended. Whether that was our little friend, or one of the moderators, I can't say. I have my suspicions, and I think it's the tiny antagonist who is enraged that they can't attempt to pathetically snipe at your ankles anymore.

Our little friend was simply pulling nonsense out of the ether and using lies to smear you, so I corrected the statement, as best I could. I realize that it's a waste of time engaging that particular entity, but if I can separate fact from fiction for other folks who don't realize what they are dealing with, then it might be worth it.

...whether it is worth it for my sanity is another issue. I think I'll go back to my old plan of staying put right here with the sane people.

I look forward to your analysis.
I tend to put a laughing emoji on most of their posts. It seems to irk them. They start searching out my posts to put laughing emojis on mine in “retaliation”. I see every one of those as a win. Petty I know but it’s MR so what else can you do.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I tend to put a laughing emoji on most of their posts. It seems to irk them. They start searching out my posts to put laughing emojis on mine in “retaliation”. I see every one of those as a win. Petty I know but it’s MR so what else can you do.

Hahaha, everytime someone laughs emojis you, put it in your sig, like notches on a pistol :D

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Even though I have been at the MR forums for years, I had never interacted with our little friend. I did so recently, not because I care about what they think, but because I was curious. I had assumed that it was an elaborate troll job, but now I'm leaning toward this being their personal beliefs and they think that they are doing the right thing by spreading the good news. It reminds me of the fruitless missionary work of John Allen Chau and his attempt to convert the uncontacted tribe of North Sentinel Island. The tiny terror over at MR is on a similarly Sysiphean quest, minus the dying and being buried in the sand. People who post on a Mac forum have already made up their minds about their preferred platform, so it just seems like an extraordinary waste of time to valiantly hide behind a keyboard all day, attempting to convert folks who already have hardened opinions on technology. Plus, even if someone is persuadable, continually insulting their intelligence isn't the way to do it.

"When you want a tool, but get a community."
- @Cmaier

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Holy hell, I looked at their first posts from 2014, hahahaha, they were being a **** and a **** even way back then :ROFLMAO:

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Holy hell, I looked at their first posts from 2014, hahahaha, they were being a **** and a **** even way back then :ROFLMAO:
I didn't go spelunking that far into the deep recesses of that entity's post history. Originally, I had assumed it was a crafted persona, the online equivalent of a pro wrestling gimmick. Unlike our little friend, performers in that profession don't bother hiding behind a facade, these days. Since this individual has been doing it for at least eight years, I'm reasonably certain it's not a gimmick. It also makes me wonder if there's a mental health component, because nobody acts this way in Real Life™.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Which MR poster are you guys talking about?
I assume they’re talking about mi7chy.

Personally I have nothing to say about him other than he is apparently confused about when I was at AMD and what I did there.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Bingo. The psychology of it intrigued me, because I've never seen a troll so dedicated to their craft, and unsurprisingly, came to no definitive conclusion about what motivates such an individual.
Personally I have nothing to say about him other than he is apparently confused about when I was at AMD and what I did there.
Mayhap less confusion, and more likely intentional ignorance.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bingo. The psychology of it intrigued me, because I've never seen a troll so dedicated to their craft, and unsurprisingly, came to no definitive conclusion about what motivates such an individual.

Mayhap less confusion, and more likely intentional ignorance.
Likely, but i am trying to be polite :).

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
I did a similar exploratory journey - there is no published text of either law so everything MR put in their article is speculation. Plus if you read their "article" it reads literally like an anti-Apple zealot's wish list. I suspect once the actual text is published it won't be like MR said - remember MR is notorious for clickbait articles.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I guess they won't be responding to anyone in the short term ...

1657592910789.png

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Well well, mi7chy FINALLY got what should have happened years ago...who knows? Maybe MR might start to remember it is supposed to be an APPLE board?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well well, mi7chy FINALLY got what should have happened years ago...who knows? Maybe MR might start to remember it is supposed to be an APPLE board?

He’s welcome to come post here. We need more false information to meet our quota.

Top Bottom
1 2