'Everything's Mine,' Trump Told Bob Woodward Of His Presidency

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
His presidency ended with Trump believing it was still his to control, the Washington Post journalist noted in the interview about his new audiobook, “The Trump Tapes: Bob Woodward’s Twenty Interviews With President Donald Trump.” The interviews were conducted over nine months in 2020 while Trump was in the White House.
Trump, who hadn’t held a political office until he stepped into his Oval Office role, made the pronouncement that everything was his when Woodward asked him of his role: “Did somebody help you?”

“Yeah, I get people, they come up with ideas,” Trump told Woodward. “But the ideas are mine, Bob. Want to know something? Everything’s mine.”
Woodward told Melber: “The tragedy in all of this, when you go through all those audiotapes ... he didn’t understand the presidency and the obligations to the people. ... This isn’t about yourself. When he says, ‘Everything is mine,’ it kind of echoes this idea of the presidency is his. And we now even see him claiming that he won” the 2020 election, “when there’s no evidence to support that.”

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Which, at least according to a strict reading of the Constitution, does not disqualify a person from holding public office. There are at least two prominent instances of Republicans in Congress who are unmistably mentally dysfunctional.
God, it should, and it’s really alarming to say this, but President Trump as President had no business with the highest secret clearance, talk about giving away the store. Maybe being a profuse POS liar should be written into the Constitution as disqualification for the position of President. Who would have ever thought that a population of hundreds of millions could fail in this manner? It is discouraging to contemplate. 🥺

Last edited:

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It’s bad enough to be called a mental illness. 😳

Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
DSM-5 301.81 / ICD-10 F60.81 if you’re looking to bill insurance.

DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by 5 (or more) of the following:
  1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g. - exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  3. Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  4. Requires excessive admiration
  5. Has a sense of entitlement (i.e. - unreasonable expectations of especially favourable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations)
  6. Is interpersonally exploitative (i.e. - takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends)
  7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
  8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
  9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.

DSM-5 Section III Alternative Model for Personality Disorders

Moderate or greater impairment in NPD is found in the following areas of personality functioning:

1. Identity: Excessive reference to others for self-definition and self-esteem regulation; exaggerated self-appraisal—inflated or deflated or vacillating between extremes; emotional regulation mirrors fluctuations in self-esteem.
  2. Self-direction: Goal-setting based on gaining approval from others; personal standards are unreasonably high in order to see oneself as exceptional, or too low based on a sense of entitlement; often unaware of own motivations.
  3. Empathy: Impaired ability to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others; excessively attuned to reactions of others, but only if perceived as relevant to self; over- or underestimates own effects on others.
  4. Intimacy: Relationships largely superficial and exist to serve self-esteem regulation; mutuality constrained by little genuine interest in others’ experiences and predominance of a need for personal gain.
Two personality traits identify NPD:

1. Grandiosity: Feelings of entitlement, either overt or covert; self-centeredness; firmly holding to the belief that one is better than others; condescending towards others.
  2. Attention seeking: Excessive attempts to attract and be the focus of the attention of others; admiration seeking.
This NPD diagnosis is defined as a combination of significant problems within the 4 areas of personality functioning and at least 1 of the two personality traits.

Some other excerpts from various literature.
Social Impact
Ironically patients with NPD, also known as narcissists are reportedly happier than others in society. Being highly materialistic, self-enhancing, entitled and impulsive, they may not learn from mistakes, and have a tendency to get into even greater trouble, notably legal and disciplinary (Ronningstam & Weinberg, 2013). These maladaptive coping mechanisms can result in issues in the work place or in school, or unemployment.

Patients with NPD tend to be drawn to people of a high societal class, who think very highly of them (Campbell, Miller, & Widiger, 2010). The constant desire for admiration may cause romantic relationships to be short lived, as they constantly seek for something better, or when their lack of empathy becomes apparent to their partners (Ronningstam & Weinberg, 2013). So patients with NPD may exhibit an unforgiving nature and showcase anger and aggression in such close relationships (Ronningstam & Weinberg, 2013). This can also affect work relationships or any close group activities.

Striking characteristics of NPD usually contribute, i.e., self-enhancement and self-centeredness, with interpersonal insensitivity and critical, competitive, or provocative behavior, along with compromised ability for commitment, collaboration, closeness, and mutuality.

Significant internal suffering in individuals with NPD has also been recognized, although it may remain hidden and unnoticeable to others, or expressed seemingly contradictory, in provocative or antagonistic behavior.

Some people with NPD can present with compromised sense of ethics and accompanying manipulative, deceitful, corruptive, or exploitive behavior.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
DSM-5 301.81 / ICD-10 F60.81 if you’re looking to bill insurance.

DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria

DSM-5 Section III Alternative Model for Personality Disorders

Some other excerpts from various literature.
Is Sociopath lumped in there? It might have said, my impression is that Nascicist includes high degrees of insecurity. He loves to whine about his mistreatment. Ever heard him whine?

F0B0B681-8F4D-46A2-8125-4FB79980D150.jpeg

One important point here, there should be no way on this green Earth, that this person should have ever been considered for President. And I assign blame to people, the base, the STUPID, and the self serving, almost every negative characteristic of people is what got him elected.
  • Ignorance/uninformed: I like what he says but pay no attention to this man’s documented history. It’s all a lie.
  • Blinded by selfishness, he’s bad, but I might end up better off.
  • Racism, bigotry, xenophobia, white privilege: He’s for us!
  • Profit motive: He’s great for the stock market, he’ll cut my taxes.
  • Religion: This man is The Devil, whose on our side! He’ll protect my religious freedom to shove my beliefs down your throats!
  • Sheep: Our political leadership, all the corrupt, anti-democratic Congressmen we elected told us he was our salvation!
  • Anti-Democratic: Democracy, when I can’t get my way, maybe I’ll do better under Fascism?
This Man is so horrendous, corrosively Pied Pipperish, who adores “stong men”, (the man he aspires to be, but can’t), appeals to the weak minded in that there are some citizens/politicians in Faux News Land who are actually choosing Vlad over our country/NATO’s interests, all because of Donny’s infatuation and desire to be the incompetent emperor. :oops: :mad:

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
An issue with the Donald is that he’s so horrific, with such a long list of sins, that when you try to explain your problems with him to someone online, there’s risk of coming off a bit deranged, even when you’re simply laying out facts. I’ve been accused of being “obsessed” with Trump by others online who, if not fans of his, are bizarrely unbothered by what he clearly is.

It’s like when my house is on fire, I tend to be pretty obsessed with it until it’s no longer a threat.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
An issue with the Donald is that he’s so horrific, with such a long list of sins, that when you try to explain your problems with him to someone online, there’s risk of coming off a bit deranged, even when you’re simply laying out facts. I’ve been accused of being “obsessed” with Trump by others online who, if not fans of his, are bizarrely unbothered by what he clearly is.

It’s like when my house is on fire, I tend to be pretty obsessed with it until it’s no longer a threat.
He is the threat but he is not an isolated threat. He was what he became as far as elected office because of millions who decided that he was their best choice. That could be grounds for obsession, or just overall concern about our collective well being. :oops:

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Is Sociopath lumped in there? It might have said, my impression is that Nascicist includes high degrees of insecurity. He loves to whine about his mistreatment. Ever heard him whine?

One important point here, there should be no way on this green Earth, that this person should have ever been considered for President. And I assign blame to people, the base, the STUPID, and the self serving, almost every negative characteristic of people is what got him elected.
  • Ignorance/uninformed: I like what he says but pay no attention to this man’s documented history. It’s all a lie.
  • Blinded by selfishness, he’s bad, but I might end up better off.
  • Racism, bigotry, xenophobia, white privilege: He’s for us!
  • Profit motive: He’s great for the stock market, he’ll cut my taxes.
  • Religion: This man is The Devil, whose on our side! He’ll protect my religious freedom to shove my beliefs down your throats!
  • Sheep: Our political leadership, all the corrupt, anti-democratic Congressmen we elected told us he was our salvation!
  • Anti-Democratic: Democracy, when I can’t get my way, maybe I’ll do better under Fascism?
This Man is so horrendous, corrosively Pied Pipperish, who adores “stong men”, (the man he aspires to be, but can’t), appeals to the weak minded in that there are some citizens/politicians in Faux News Land who are actually choosing Vlad over our country/NATO’s interests, all because of Donny’s infatuation and desire to be the incompetent emperor. :oops: :mad:

Sociopathy is now called Antisocial Personality Disorder. It’s very common for a person with one personality to posses facets of other personality disorders. This is often referred to Axis II Cluster B traits, which refers to the group of diagnoses that include ASPD, NPD, Borderline PD, and Histrionic PD.

A way to differentiate ASPD and NPD is that those with ASPD do not require admiration. ASPD is usually more associated with violence, impulsiveness, uncontrolled anger, criminality, etc- though it can manifest in less overt forms. There is often a lot overlap between these two diagnoses that some think they should be combined into a spectrum disorder.

i find his socially unacceptable behavior more motivated by a need for admiration, positive image, to always be right, appear smart, etc than a complete and total lack of empathy. The effect however is similar when you put yourself above everyone else.

The question is his motivation to improve his image or because he’s more deserving, or because he just doesn’t care. Does he blame everyone else for his problems because he cannot understand how his actions affect others, or because he cannot admit he was wrong?

So I’d stick with NPD as the primary diagnosis. Anti-social traits maybe. Without knowing how he actually processes thoughts it’s impossible to say.

Quite honestly there are a lot of powerful narcissists in the world, some of whom probably have NPD. If their energy is directed appropriately they can be very successful. It’s that ambition that drives them to the top. To be clear there is a difference between someone with narcissistic traits and NPD. Frankly, I’m not sure you can run for President without some degree of narcissism.

I think it’s highly debatable if someone with NPD or extreme narcissistic traits can be President. Certainly Trumps loss and subsequent crisis resulting in events like 1/6 highlight the danger. If Trump ran as democrat views I’m not convinced democrats would be as critical. But this is a fairly common psych ethics question.

Hillary Clinton is at the least highly narcissistic. She could not accept her loss in 2016- no she did not try to start a coup, but she blamed everyone and everything but herself, claimed the Russians meddled in the election to a degree to flip the outcome, etc. She didn’t even have a concession speech planned and apparently wasn’t even able to present herself in public the night of her loss. And this attitude continues to this day. Would you say she shouldn’t run for office because of this?

I don’t know the right answer. And you never really know how someone will act until they’re put in a certain situation.

One thing I’m confident in is Biden should have never run for office. It is abundantly clear he has is suffering dementia. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying to themselves or has never actually interacted with someone with this condition. That’s not to say he doesn’t have moments of clarity, but that’s how dementia works. And sadly it gets progressively worse. I don’t say this to slight him, he seems like a very kind and compassionate man, and I wouldn’t wish this disease on anyone. I say this out of concern for him and the country. It was clear from the primaries things were not right and have only become more apparent. I would say the same about any politician regardless of their politics. If this was my father I would be tremendously concerned.

I’m old enough to remember when people demanded Trump take the MCA-10 (cognitive exam) because of concerns of dementia. I never saw any clear signs, but whatever, better to know I suppose. Concerns over NPD, totally justifiable but very hard to address. Where are these people now? What about the amount of attention and speculation these people gave to Trump shuffling down a ramp? Biden falls down stairs multiple times in a row- multiple times, falls of a bike, and gets lost every practically every time he tries to exit a stage. Where are the same concerned people? It’s completely evident Biden’s administration minimizes two way conversations with journalists. Why is that? Trump certainly has his own likely mental issues but ignoring all the signs of Biden displays troubles me deeply. This is not how our politics should work.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
One thing I’m confident in is Biden should have never run for office. It is abundantly clear he has is suffering dementia. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying to themselves or has never actually interacted with someone with this condition. That’s not to say he doesn’t have moments of clarity, but that’s how dementia works. And sadly it gets progressively worse. I don’t say this to slight him, he seems like a very kind and compassionate man, and I wouldn’t wish this disease on anyone. I say this out of concern for him and the country. It was clear from the primaries things were not right and have only become more apparent. I would say the same about any politician regardless of their politics. If this was my father I would be tremendously concerned.

I like Biden as a very thoughtful, intelligent, and decent person, with decades of domestic and foreign policy experience.

That said...I hope a strategy is soon developed where he can gracefully step aside in coordination with someone much younger running in his place. I agree with David Gergen that it's time for younger generation leadership to take the reins. In my mind there are a handful of qualified people who are ready to step up and lead.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I like Biden as a very thoughtful, intelligent, and decent person, with decades of domestic and foreign policy experience.

That said...I hope a strategy is soon developed where he can gracefully step aside in coordination with someone much younger running in his place. I agree with David Gergen that it's time for younger generation leadership to take the reins. In my mind there are a handful of qualified people who are ready to step up and lead.

I think he seems like a very nice, likable guy. I always find his ability to sympathize with parents of deceased children incredibly moving, given the tragedies he’s endured. Intelligence- ehhh, average. Certainly extensive political experience- I think he’s good with foreign (personal) relations for the most part- he did just screw things up with the Saudis white royally. Foreign policy historically not great, though I think he’s handled Ukraine reasonably well. I would have wished he showed more strength against Russia when they were building up on the border.

Since media outlets can will almost never say anything critical of their president of their preferred political party, I interpret “we need younger leadership” as saying Biden is too old and not equipped for the job, without having to be explicit.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Since media outlets can will almost never say anything critical of their president of their preferred political party, I interpret “we need younger leadership” as saying Biden is too old and not equipped for the job, without having to be explicit.

I don't know if you watched David Gergen's interview earlier this year. But he was speaking of younger US leadership in general taking the reins, including that in the House and Senate, as well as the the current President. I'm behind that 100%.

Top Bottom
1 2