External Keyboard with iPhone - wrong character mapping

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Hardware: iPhone with the latest software and Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard.

The problem:

The external keyboard connected through BT. In iOS Hardware Keyboard set to the required, foreign language.
Some of the keys are mapped wrong, i.e. if I hit "0" it becomes "í" on the screen. None of the other special characters (>#&@{} etc.) are mapped correctly either. The rest works ok.

Tomorrow I will try a third-party keyboard (Microsoft SwitfKey), though without any hopes as the keyboard layout is iOS defined... (GBoard was a failure earlier).

Any ideas, help appreciated.

"It's Okay Not To Be Okay"

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hardware: iPhone with the latest software and Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard.

The problem:

The external keyboard connected through BT. In iOS Hardware Keyboard set to the required, foreign language.
Some of the keys are mapped wrong, i.e. if I hit "0" it becomes "í" on the screen. None of the other special characters (>#&@{} etc.) are mapped correctly either. The rest works ok.

Tomorrow I will try a third-party keyboard (Microsoft SwitfKey), though without any hopes as the keyboard layout is iOS defined... (GBoard was a failure earlier).

Any ideas, help appreciated.

"It's Okay Not To Be Okay"

Ist die Fremdsprache Deutsch?

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Ok. The core of the problem is identified. The issue can not be solved.

iPhone alias iOS sees the external/physical keyboard as an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) keyboard, so in case of connecting an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) keyboard it will behave like an ANSI keyboard (some characters swapped etc.) no matter what.

That's it.

So, if you want a proper character mapping with an external keyboard on iOS, use an ANSI keyboard corresponding to your language.

Top Bottom
1 2