Facebook and misinformation

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I find this disturbing

"The Facebook outage on Monday was a planetary-scale demonstration of how essential the company's services have become to daily life," Raymond Zhong of the New York Times writes, adding that Facebook and its many apps "are critical platforms for doing business, arranging medical care, conducting virtual classes, carrying out political campaigns [and] responding to emergencies" around the entire planet."

It also echos silicon valley employment culture. "We put everything you could possibly need here. Why would you ever want to go home? Just stay here more hours. You know you want to."
I hope this is a wakeup call for people. Quit relying on Facebook for services. Diversify.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I hope this is a wakeup call for people. Quit relying on Facebook for services. Diversify.

Yeah, and do it before those who really rulehack the planet improve their reach and techniques. Yesterday just a beta...

what really happened re FB outage.jpg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It can be done. FB wants you to think you can't live without it.

Though I have seen small businesses that try to rely on FB as their one and only "website". They may want to rethink that.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It can be done. FB wants you to think you can't live without it.

Though I have seen small businesses that try to rely on FB as their one and only "website". They may want to rethink that.

This is probably hipster of me, but I miss the days of when creative types had their own dedicated site and that was the only option. Maybe some presence on something like MySpace, but if you really wanted something meaty and more in-depth you went to their site. Many creative types now only use Facebook for everything.

I’m not on social networks, so I can only relate my experience via YouTube. I subscribe to a ridiculous amount of channels (like over 200) to the point that I don’t pay attention to most of them or even remember why I subscribed. Many of them just appear in my recommended video feed anyway. I can only imagine the same level of not sincerely giving a shit happens on social media with the likes and follows. At least on YouTube the content creators have to actually create content. On social media you just need to have an account.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Zuckerberg rejects claims they put profits over safety.

In related news...

Manchin and Sinema claim they are putting country before personal self-interests.

Trump denies being removed from Forbes top wealthy list.

Removing Zuckerberg from Facebook would pretty much have zero impact on the company. Nobody sees him as a visionary. If anything he's a tool for tech greed on par with Wall St. The only purpose he serves is an inspiration to other young tech entrepreneurs who want to act like God with complete impunity.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
In case you've ever been curious if Facebook can do moderation.

Yes it can, when it wants to. For some interesting reasons.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1542211920350121987/

1656346915398-facebook-abortion-post.png

Vice’s Motherboard explains their experience as such (it's also seen above): “On Friday a Motherboard reporter attempted to post the phrase ‘abortion pills can be mailed’ on Facebook using a burner account. The post was flagged within seconds as violating the site's community standards, specifically the rules against buying, selling, or exchanging medical or non-medical drugs. The reporter was given the option to ‘disagree’ with the decision or ‘agree’ with it. After they chose ‘disagree,’ the post was removed.”

“Flagged within seconds.” Boy that’s pretty quick compared to, say, white nationalist groups whose posts inciting violence stay up for days, weeks, and sometimes forever.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
In case you've ever been curious if Facebook can do moderation.

Yes it can, when it wants to. For some interesting reasons.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1542211920350121987/

1656346915398-facebook-abortion-post.png
I CAN HAZ GUNZ AND OPIOIDS? - OK with Facebook
I need an abortion. - You’re banned from Facebook forever.

And yet the right wing dipshits will still complain that THEY are discriminated against by social media. Fact is, without Facebook, these far right groups wouldn’t have had the platform for their hateful conspiracy theories.

Great post… Fuck Zuck… as usual.

Top Bottom
1 2