Sony

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And in another MR story today, Meta will apparently be releasing its 1st gen AR glasses for "early adopters" in 2024.

Early adopters? That tells me a lot. That they're going to be relying on third party developers for AR apps and will likely not have any useful homegrown AR apps at launch. That's a huge fail.

My money is on Apple releasing their AR glasses within a year (with an announcement coming soon), and, having been collaborating with Stanford's VR/AR lab since 2016 and others along the way, will have a great suite of very useful AR apps on launch day.

Exiting times ahead for Apple on that front!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
And in another MR story today, Meta will apparently be releasing its 1st gen AR glasses for "early adopters" in 2024.

Early adopters? That tells me a lot. That they're going to be relying on third party developers for AR apps and will likely not have any useful homegrown AR apps at launch. That's a huge fail.

My money is on Apple releasing their AR glasses within a year (with an announcement coming soon), and, having been collaborating with Stanford's VR/AR lab since 2016 and others along the way, will have a great suite of very useful AR apps on launch day.

Exiting times ahead for Apple on that front!
Seems like it's only a matter of time before this wearable tech takes off in the mainstream, it really comes down to who comes out with it first in a way that consumers will want.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Seems like it's only a matter of time before this wearable tech takes off in the mainstream, it really comes down to who comes out with it first in a way that consumers will want.

AR is going to fly for Apple. So many potentially useful situations where it can be used. No doubt in my mind Apple will do it right with a very polished product and useful applications.

I'm having a little pain from my appendix. It would be great putting on the glasses, googling up some useful appendectomy procedures with diagrams, reference material and maybe a video, making the incision and cutting that little bugger out!

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Also, would love to purchase the hardware but the fact that it must be tied to FB account is a deal breaker for me.

I'll be honest. I own one those headsets. I love that headset. I play with that headset nearly every day. That said, I'm playing games, not buying digital goodies.

Also, the requirement for a Facebook account is gone/going away. Honestly though, you'll use your Oculus/Meta account. So as far as I'm concerned, it's still Facebook who ultimately owns that data. It's like saying if you don't trust me to hold on to the money you've put in my right hand, just stick it in my left hand. 🤷‍♂️

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'll be honest. I own one those headsets. I love that headset. I play with that headset nearly every day. That said, I'm playing games, not buying digital goodies.

Also, the requirement for a Facebook account is gone/going away. Honestly though, you'll use your Oculus/Meta account. So as far as I'm concerned, it's still Facebook who ultimately owns that data. It's like saying if you don't trust me to hold on to the money you've put in my right hand, just stick it in my left hand. 🤷‍♂️
For me it's about not wanting to be forced into a FB account to use their system, the company is like a trojan horse with the way they insert themselves into everything you do and spread it. Fine for those who have already accepted their fate of handing all their private data to FB but it won't be happening with me.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
For me it's about not wanting to be forced into a FB account to use their system, the company is like a trojan horse with the way they insert themselves into everything you do and spread it. Fine for those who have already accepted their fate of handing all their private data to FB but it won't be happening with me.

Nothing is private online. Even beloved Apple uses your data. They're just better at marketing and lying about it.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Both of these companies are wrong for the amount they are milking from developers.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I handed over my data years ago. Back before we knew just how bad they were. Even then however, I was always careful with my data. I never gave them a phone number even though they bugged me for years. My Oculus is just about the only time I've ever clicked on "Log in with Facebook". They don't need to know what else I do when I'm not on their site. I've always been quite stingy giving them the bare minimum. I've also logged in... twice? this year. Spent about 5 minutes total reminding myself why I don't log in.

If you don't currently have an account, I absolutely get it. Perhaps the Oculus/Meta account would meet your needs, perhaps not. I can say that every time I've been at a login screen recently, I get the option to login with Facebook or an Oculus account. So I think the Facebook requirement has been lifted. But again, since Meta owns Oculus, you're still signing in with a Zuckerberg owned account. I can't see how that's much better to be honest. It's why I've not bothered even trying to switch over.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Nothing is private online. Even beloved Apple uses your data. They're just better at marketing and lying about it.
No doubt, but FB is more than just cookies and browsing habits for advertisers. They attach themselves to every other piece of your life, sync your contacts, won't allow you to post without sharing it out to all of your friends, etc.

To be fair to Apple they take our security more seriously than FB and since I'm signed up to their cloud and willingly use the data I'll accept the onus, I don't use them for a social network.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I handed over my data years ago. Back before we knew just how bad they were. Even then however, I was always careful with my data. I never gave them a phone number even though they bugged me for years. My Oculus is just about the only time I've ever clicked on "Log in with Facebook". They don't need to know what else I do when I'm not on their site. I've always been quite stingy giving them the bare minimum. I've also logged in... twice? this year. Spent about 5 minutes total reminding myself why I don't log in.

If you don't currently have an account, I absolutely get it. Perhaps the Oculus/Meta account would meet your needs, perhaps not. I can say that every time I've been at a login screen recently, I get the option to login with Facebook or an Oculus account. So I think the Facebook requirement has been lifted. But again, since Meta owns Oculus, you're still signing in with a Zuckerberg owned account. I can't see how that's much better to be honest. It's why I've not bothered even trying to switch over.

This was from last year so not sure if it's happened yet or not but if they remove that ridiculous requirement I'll likely buy the hardware.
“As we’ve focused more on work, and as we’ve heard feedback from the VR community more broadly, we’re working on new ways to log into Quest that won’t require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally.”