Facebook cracking the whip on "pages" that aren't authentic

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
FB reached out to me about my page, they said that because it's getting so much traffic they are forcing me to authenticate that I am who I say that I am and my country of origin. They're serious about it too, I had to show my drivers license and use their app with location services to confirm my city and state and they force two factor authentication. They gave me a cutoff date to provide all of this or posting will no longer be allowed. They're not playing around anymore and my guess is if you're in Russia (or somewhere they deem questionable) there's no way around these measures. Good for them.

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
I refused to enter my last name and they also forced me to send them personal identification like drivers license or a passport before letting me log back in. I am pretty sure someone didn’t like something I posted and reported me because I know several people who aren’t using their last names and still have access to their accounts. The issue I have is I can’t turn off any of the Facebook e-mail notifications without logging in. So I would love to ignore Facebook but they keep sending me notifications whenever a Friend update the profile or post a video, etc.

I have something in the works to regain access we will see if it works but I am not sending Facebook my passport or drivers license that’s for sure with all the data breaches/leaks they have had. They assure me it is secure... HA!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I refused to enter my last name and they also forced me to send them personal identification like drivers license or a passport before letting me log back in. I am pretty sure someone didn’t like something I posted and reported me because I know several people who aren’t using their last names and still have access to their accounts. The issue I have is I can’t turn off any of the Facebook e-mail notifications without logging in. So I would love to ignore Facebook but they keep sending me notifications whenever a Friend update the profile or post a video, etc.

I have something in the works to regain access we will see if it works but I am not sending Facebook my passport or drivers license that’s for sure with all the data breaches/leaks they have had. They assure me it is secure... HA!
I was the same way for the longest time, I also get reported quite a bit but FB doesn't usually act on it because I keep things relatively sane there. The problem is that I have 163,000 followers so if I don't provide that info it'll be shut down. However, they do keep that private for their own records, nobody else needs to see it. I also use my middle name as my last name and that didn't seem to bother them at all.

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
got banned from there after ONE meme on a NEW account I had made even after I provided everything. I made a new account because a stupid game I play uses FB to save game data. I was pissed after the ban as I lost my player account.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
got banned from there after ONE meme on a NEW account I had made even after I provided everything. I made a new account because a stupid game I play uses FB to save game data. I was pissed after the ban as I lost my player account.

Does FB allow multiple accounts?

It is not a platform that I have ever cared for, and their sorry history of data breaches make government (or EU) regulation all but inevitable.

What @Eric has described in his OP strikes me as - almost certainly - an attempt to forestall that.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
None of this thread so far tells me I had the wrong idea to close my FB account in 2010 about a week or a ten days after I opened it, at which point a privacy and TOS update were issued... I actually read them both and reacted "Seriously? I'm out." I miss out on some stuff or rather get it belatedly from kin and friends but I'm okay with that.

It does sound now like FB execs finally realize that they can't put on this "aw shucks" act as if they're just still a convenient but homebrew college database kinda spinoff and so nothing including data breaches and fraud really matter... when it's been pointed out to them by real world governments how their platform has been abused for political and other purposes out there in that real world.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
None of this thread so far tells me I had the wrong idea to close my FB account in 2010 about a week or a ten days after I opened it, at which point a privacy and TOS update were issued... I actually read them both and reacted "Seriously? I'm out." I miss out on some stuff or rather get it belatedly from kin and friends but I'm okay with that.

It does sound now like FB execs finally realize that they can't put on this "aw shucks" act as if they're just still a convenient but homebrew college database kinda spinoff and so nothing including data breaches and fraud really matter... when it's been pointed out to them by real world governments how their platform has been abused for political and other purposes out there in that real world.

Between data breaches on FB, privacy concerns, and refusing to take responsibility for how their platform has been used & abused during a number of elections (and referenda) for political purposes, it is only a matter of time before some sort of regulation of the platform occurs, in Europe, at least.

ouimetnick

Power User
Reaction score
Not facebook related, but Twitter's "customer service" is terrible. I joined Twitter in September 2008. I was 12 at the time and in violation of the TOS. I lied and put my DOB as 1990. Back in 2018 on my birthday I decided to update my DOB because why not? Bad idea! Once I updated it, I was locked out and never heard back until April 2019. Finally after scanning my driver's license (in April) they unlocked it for me in late June after they deleted the tweets I made before I was 13..

I didn't expect to get it back so I had made another account. Such terrible service these social media companies have. I was locked out of an old Google account, and google doesn't have any customer support. Even big name YouTubers have to fight tooth and nail to get support. John Prosser (I don't like him, but follow him on Twitter) had his YT account compromised, and YT took over a week to restore it. Pathetic.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not facebook related, but Twitter's "customer service" is terrible. I joined Twitter in September 2008. I was 12 at the time and in violation of the TOS. I lied and put my DOB as 1990. Back in 2018 on my birthday I decided to update my DOB because why not? Bad idea! Once I updated it, I was locked out and never heard back until April 2019. Finally after scanning my driver's license (in April) they unlocked it for me in late June after they deleted the tweets I made before I was 13..

I didn't expect to get it back so I had made another account. Such terrible service these social media companies have. I was locked out of an old Google account, and google doesn't have any customer support. Even big name YouTubers have to fight tooth and nail to get support. John Prosser (I don't like him, but follow him on Twitter) had his YT account compromised, and YT took over a week to restore it. Pathetic.

This is the reason my poor mother has 3 Facebook accounts. She moved and could no longer access the original account she registered with (local to her old ISP). Facebook never responded to her help request. Next one got confused with someone else’s account. They didn’t respond to get it straightened out. No help whatsoever.

Top Bottom
1 2