Facebook Inc. rebrands as Meta to stress ‘metaverse’ plan

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's official. Also, a last ditch effort to save a sinking ship. Say hello to Tom and AOL in the pantheon of hasbeen platforms.

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said his company is rebranding itself as Meta in an effort to encompass its virtual-reality vision for the future — what Zuckerberg calls the “ metaverse.”

Skeptics point out that it also appears to be an attempt to change the subject from the Facebook Papers, a leaked document trove so dubbed by a consortium of news organizations that include The Associated Press. Many of these documents, first described by former Facebook employee-turned-whistleblower Frances Haugen, have revealed how Facebook ignored or downplayed internal warnings of the negative and often harmful consequences its algorithms wreaked across the world.

“Facebook is the world’s social media platform and they are being accused of creating something that is harmful to people and society,” said marketing consultant Laura Ries. She compared the name Meta to when BP rebranded to “Beyond Petroleum” to escape criticism that it harmed the environment. “They can’t walk away from the social network with a new corporate name and talk of a future metaverse.”

More

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Hey, I just found out that Alphabet is actually Google. I was wondering why Google just suddenly disappeared. They've been Alphabet this whole time! That was really slick of them. Had me fooled.
That’s why I never see links to Let me Google that for you anymore. Makes sense.

In other news: Stay tuned! After the merger it will be AlphaMeta.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like with the creation of these absurd umbrella corporations tech companies are going to start saying “That’s our legacy evil division. We don’t comment on our evil division and are barely involved in their operation.”

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
You type in meta.com and it redirects to Facebook.com. Yep, they’ve really changed..........

The “meta” page they link you to is also a big VR advertisement. I guess they decided instead of launching a VR subsidiary called “Meta” - they would use this opportunity to rebrand the cesspool they’ve become.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You type in meta.com and it redirects to Facebook.com. Yep, they’ve really changed..........

The “meta” page they link you to is also a big VR advertisement. I guess they decided instead of launching a VR subsidiary called “Meta” - they would use this opportunity to rebrand the cesspool they’ve become.

I would have given them major respect if they rebranded to Cesspool.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Ruh Roh Raggy!

According to TMZ, another company already filed to trademark the word "Meta" back in August. This company is Meta PC, and it sells computers, laptops, tablets, and software. Founders Joe Darger and Zack Shutt said that they've been operating Meta PC for a little over a year now, but only recently filed to trademark the "Meta" brand.

However, Meta PC's trademark hasn't been granted yet, so whether the company gets it instead of Facebook is still up in the air. However, Darger and Shutt also said that they will relent on the trademark if Mark Zuckerburg is willing to pay at least $20 million.

Luckily, the founders also have a sense of humor. Meta PC's Twitter account posted a meme of Zuckerburg holding one of the company's products and presenting its logo. Additionally, Schutt posted a joke video of him announcing Meta PC's new name, rebranding the company as "Facebook."

Top Bottom
1 2