Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+ 2021-)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
D14C872B-E9C0-45D1-8B4C-80A05658A461.jpeg

Economy model series, six episodes. Two episodes in. The opening sequence was far fetched enough that it did not really engage me. Wyatt Russell (Lodge 49 if you were a fan) plays the new Captain America without super powers based on genetic manipulation. Is it needless to say both Falcon and Bucky have an issue with him?

This is the second Marvel series that I have watched that reflects the post End Game World. The threat is a group, if I got it right who liked it better before all those people returned from Thanos-induced oblivion. Flagsmashers, one world, no borders or something like that being executed by super soldiers, to bring the world to a state of anarchy... maybe? Well, I only have to watch 4 more episodes to see what happens. ;)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG - this is the best show! Buddy buddy show in the extreme. It’s their relationship that makes the show. And it seems the only thing they truly agree on is their dislike for the new Captain America.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I don't know how "geeky" you want me to take it, but for me there is so much to love in The Falcon & the Winter Soldier.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU movie, giving me my favorite line of all the movies...

Whoever cast Anthony Mackie earned their check & more! Bucky as the Winter Soldier ( with old mask ) is bad ass, but now he gets a personality.

The show is doing a deep dive into the world after the 'snap', as well as some Black culture. I know they couldn't do it intentionally but Bucky's tie to the Asian community is NOW timely.

The big spoiler online that people were going nuts over was the son who answered the door to Isiah Bradley's house.
He is supposed to become a character later in the MCU, known in the comics as Young Patriot which everyone knew online.
The actual story though about Isiah Bradley though, is a rough one.

The pages where Cap visits Bradley, are some of what makes Cap, the heart of Marvel.

The Power Broker referred to by the Flag Smashers ( who are nothing like that in the comics ) is a thing in the comics. Coincidentally it's tied to Walker in the comics.

The scene where the cops roll up on Sam & Bucky... and arrest Bucky. Priceless. Great twist.

The shrink/therapist... I WANT in every episode.

The returning villain in the first episode opening, I LOVED. Great start.

Easily my favorite new show.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the realm of Marvel super heroes, Falcon is the first African American super hero and who can mentally connect with birds. I don’t know how significant this power is, but in the MCU, I’ve never seen him use this power. Anyone know if he has? I assume he built this suit.

Becoming the Falcon​

As part of a plot against Captain America, the Red Skull uses the Cosmic Cube, a creation that allows its user to alter reality, to mentally fuse Wilson with Redwing, creating a "super-normal mental link" that would, with time and concentration, give Wilson broad powers over all birds.[23][24] Next, the Skull uses the Cube to rewrite the past and erase the years Wilson had spent angrily living as Snap Wilson. In this new history, Wilson was an upright and cheerful social worker who is eventually lured to the Exiles' island and organizes the natives to fight for their freedom. Steve Rogers (Captain America) befriends him there and convinces Wilson to adopt a persona to inspire the natives in their rebellion. The two create the costumed persona the Falcon and train together extensively before attacking and defeating the Exiles and the Red Skull.[16] The Falcon becomes Captain America's regular partner in crime-fighting,[25] and briefly even takes on the Captain America costume and identity when Rogers is believed to have been killed.[26]

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know how "geeky" you want me to take it, but for me there is so much to love in The Falcon & the Winter Soldier.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is my favorite MCU movie, giving me my favorite line of all the movies...

Whoever cast Anthony Mackie earned their check & more! Bucky as the Winter Soldier ( with old mask ) is bad ass, but now he gets a personality.

The show is doing a deep dive into the world after the 'snap', as well as some Black culture. I know they couldn't do it intentionally but Bucky's tie to the Asian community is NOW timely.

The big spoiler online that people were going nuts over was the son who answered the door to Isiah Bradley's house.
He is supposed to become a character later in the MCU, known in the comics as Young Patriot which everyone knew online.
The actual story though about Isiah Bradley though, is a rough one.

The pages where Cap visits Bradley, are some of what makes Cap, the heart of Marvel.

The Power Broker referred to by the Flag Smashers ( who are nothing like that in the comics ) is a thing in the comics. Coincidentally it's tied to Walker in the comics.

The scene where the cops roll up on Sam & Bucky... and arrest Bucky. Priceless. Great twist.

The shrink/therapist... I WANT in every episode.

The returning villain in the first episode opening, I LOVED. Great start.

Easily my favorite new show.

The amazing thing about that first video is to hear the audience going nuts. I am able to set aside my time travel gripes to acknowledge a great scene when I see one. Most amazing is that is mostly if not entirely CGI. :D

Captain America started out as a Super Hero who was not my favorite playing on America patriotic themes, but by virtue of the script and this actor, I grew to really like him. Both Macke (Falcon) and Stan (Winter Soldiet) are great choice. I remember the whole time rooting for CA to save his life long friend.

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
In the realm of Marvel super heroes, Falcon is the first African American super hero and who can mentally connect with birds. I don’t know how significant this power is, but in the MCU, I’ve never seen him use this power. Anyone know if he has? I assume he built this suit.

Becoming the Falcon​

As part of a plot against Captain America, the Red Skull uses the Cosmic Cube, a creation that allows its user to alter reality, to mentally fuse Wilson with Redwing, creating a "super-normal mental link" that would, with time and concentration, give Wilson broad powers over all birds.[23][24] Next, the Skull uses the Cube to rewrite the past and erase the years Wilson had spent angrily living as Snap Wilson. In this new history, Wilson was an upright and cheerful social worker who is eventually lured to the Exiles' island and organizes the natives to fight for their freedom. Steve Rogers (Captain America) befriends him there and convinces Wilson to adopt a persona to inspire the natives in their rebellion. The two create the costumed persona the Falcon and train together extensively before attacking and defeating the Exiles and the Red Skull.[16] The Falcon becomes Captain America's regular partner in crime-fighting,[25] and briefly even takes on the Captain America costume and identity when Rogers is believed to have been killed.[26]
Yeah, it's been in the comics and used. Redwing has been his bird companion for some time in the comics.

Only to the general public, having the power to talk to A bird, isn't exactly the most... 🤪

If you thought people poked fun at Aquaman for the ability to talk to fishes...

So it was wisely decided to basically name the drone in Sam's improved wing suit, Redwing. Comic book fans loved it.

The amazing thing about that first video is to hear the audience going nuts. I am able to set aside my time travel gripes to acknowledge a great scene when I see one. :D
The first showings of Endgame were considered a community event.

For you to see the very first showings, you literally had to sit thru a MCU movie marathon.

So the anticipation wasn't just for years of waiting, but for HOURS of sitting thru movies you already saw. 🤪

That payoff was one of the greatest in movies for a hard core fan. The theatre I was in, completely lost their shit, and went nuts. Luckily there aren't any important lines during that sequence.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Here is a review that isn't as glowing as mine, but does hit on some important points.

I'm not posting any quotes, as the review is full of spoilers, so read it only if you want to read another take.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
sub-buzz-3901-1616184193-47.jpg

Bucky’s notebook list makes for interesting reading, depending on how far you feel like stretching for Easter eggs: A. Rostov, P.W. Hauser, F. Gannod, I. Tahlazar, H. Henrikson, N. Sari, T. Osman, L. Kaminski, M. Kaminski, C. Kusnetsov

“P.W. Hauser” could be a nod to Paul Walter Hauser, who you may have recently seen playing Raymond in Cobra Kai. He starred opposite Stan in the Oscar-winning ice skating biopic, I, Tonya. Then there’s “L. Kaminski” – Len Kaminski was a notable writer for Marvel Comics, previously working on War Machine, Avengers, Iron Man, and more.

Colonel Andre Rostov – the Red Barbarian – was a warden in a gulag that Bucky was confined to after killing Russian citizens in Ed Brubaker’s Captain America and Winter Soldier comics. “Kusnetsov” is also listed. There was a scientist who worked for the Soviet space program in the pages of Marvel Comics with the same name.

But one specific name on Bucky’s list should certainly raise some eyebrows, and could be key to future episodes of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: H. Zemo.

It's the small detail & touches that Marvel does, that make their stuff fun.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I still say they needed one more episode either before or after episode #5, to fix pacing issues, but they did right overall.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
There will be a 6th episode. Non?
Sixth & final episode dropped this morning @ 3AM, which is what I am referring to.

To get all the action they've saved up for the finale, there's been some serious pacing issues thru the whole run. For me it started with the decision made regarding Zemo early on, then there's just these weird whiplash leaps in story, or slowdowns to introduce something they can't give serious attention to.

If another episode had been in place before #5 or before the finale #6, I think the pacing would have improved dramatically. Some payoffs just don't really work in the last episode because they aren't earned, or aren't given the time to make sense.

Seriously how do 'ragtag' groups suddenly get the planning that U.S. intelligence only imagines they have in movies?

The payoff for Sharon for instance. :cautious:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah shit, I didn’t like it much. Again, good Sam/Isaiah stuff at the end but it didn’t work for me overall. It’ll all get better once COVID is done. Anthony Mackie is confirmed for Cap 4 so I’m wondering when the next Bucky appearance will be. He could support his own series, I think. A lot of stuff to cover with his redemption.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Ah shit, I didn’t like it much. Again, good Sam/Isaiah stuff at the end but it didn’t work for me overall. It’ll all get better once COVID is done. Anthony Mackie is confirmed for Cap 4 so I’m wondering when the next Bucky appearance will be. He could support his own series, I think. A lot of stuff to cover with his redemption.
The end of the episode tells you where Bucky will be.

Captain-America-Winter-Soldier-credit-c867b64.jpg

Which kind of ties into the progression of the movie series, as a continuation of sorts from 2 & 3.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just finished watching episode 6. I understand the complaints. They’re going to need a whole episode for Sharon’s change and her motivation. That whole bit was disappointing.

Sam has been spending too much time with Joe Biden. That or one of Biden’s speech writers wrote Sam’s speech to the assembly. ;)

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Only if there's an altruistic reason for her behavior.
Come on, she is clearly the victim here! Starting out with the best of intentions, gets let down by society one time too many and boom, suddenly turns into a rich respected villain. Could happen to anyone!

Top Bottom
1 2