Farming that's meant to alleviate fresh food deserts in urban areas

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
This is a great example. Hope there will be more.

I liked the story. I am disappointed in the high prices at farmers’ markets near me. However, my mother-in-law grows lots of nice vegetables in her small backyard, so I love home-grown produce.

OP
lizkat

lizkat

elite pita
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I liked the story. I am disappointed in the high prices at farmers’ markets near me. However, my mother-in-law grows lots of nice vegetables in her small backyard, so I love home-grown produce.

All I know is that fresh greens beat the ones in tins for sure. Have to work hard to disguise canned ones, even in omelets or soups. I've always felt badly for people living in areas where convenience stores don't even offer anything fresh, not even carrots or potatoes or a wilted bunch of celery. I like it that up here some farms that were small dairy operators who didn't want to merge with the mega-dairy outfits are now growing herbs and greens for downstate supermarkets and restaurants wanting really fresh produce.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope we see a lot more hydroponic tower gardens. Plenty of info out there on how to build your own. They require a lot less land and are way more water-efficient.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe someone will build more high rise or warehouse farms in the city.

I was thinking about those urban community gardens sandwiched between high rises. They’re cool but not very efficient or have space optimization. I picture something like multi-platform levels with hydroponic irrigation systems made from PVC pipe.

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
They just reported today on NPR that a study of fresh produce in the city of Houston, that in low income areas the produce available for sale carried significant levels of pathogens like somonell and wisteria as compared to zero in higher income areas. :oops:

Top Bottom