Favorite Deserts

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apparently no one makes Clotted Cream for sale in the USA. I managed to find a scone mix at the local grocery, Kroger brand. Don’t scold me for not making it from scratch! 😜 Then I eagerly opened the clotted cream, imported from England, sold via Amazon and my taste buds were devastated when the bottle was opened and it was hard and chunky, spoiled. 😭 Of possible interest when I filed a refund, the item was listed as non-returnable. We’ll see about that I muttered as I started a chat with Amazon’s customer service bot. No problem it said in it’s computer voice, you are a valued customer, Instant Refund!! 🕺

So what now?
I found another seller with over night Prime Delivery, so I am giving this item one more chance online, otherwise it’s a 35 mile drive one way downtown to the British Isles (store) but it’s best to call ahead and make sure they have it in stock.
Stay tuned!!

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Never really been a dessert person. A bowl of plain vanilla ice cream will usually do it for me or a plain cake (white, yellow, choc, spice) with no nuts or other weirdness.

If I had to pick a fancier dessert, it would have to be Creme Brulee. Should have had it last night as we had planned a trip to Columbus for dinner, but my daughter's 15yo cat decided to start acting weird and not eating. So we weren't comfortable leaving her alone overnight. Good news is she has seemed to bounce back to normal. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Never really been a dessert person. A bowl of plain vanilla ice cream will usually do it for me or a plain cake (white, yellow, choc, spice) with no nuts or other weirdness.

If I had to pick a fancier dessert, it would have to be Creme Brulee. Should have had it last night as we had planned a trip to Columbus for dinner, but my daughter's 15yo cat decided to start acting weird and not eating. So we weren't comfortable leaving her alone overnight. Good news is she has seemed to bounce back to normal. :)
I have a sugar monkey on my back, he’s been there since someone fed me sugar a long time ago. When I was about 8, no let‘s say under 10, I was at a Thanksgiving dinner at my Grandmother’s in SE DC (District of Columbia) and after dinner, and dessert time, someone suggested I try the Pecan Pie. No way, I thought because it had that Mince Meat look. Who eats a pie with meat in it for dessert? ;) But I was pestered and relented, and when that shot of sugar hit my tongue⚡, I was a goner, lol. Seriously, the monkey, a life long companion, he’s there and I wrestle him daily…

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Cheesecake is my weakness. Years ago I would make strawberry and raspberry cheesecakes for the last meeting of my favorite classes as an undergrad. IIRC, I added a French vanilla version for my last French class ever.

Although I'm a Brooklyn boy by birth and rep, I don't really enjoy Junior's cheesecakes. Something off about them. I think it's the mass produced, nearly frozen displays. Especially for the locations outside of Brooklyn.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Until I saw the posts here, I was about to respond "Atacama" because of its telescopes.
I am partial to the Desert of Maine. My second grade teacher didn't believe me that there was a desert there until I took a book that we'd bought while visiting.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Cheesecake is my weakness. Years ago I would make strawberry and raspberry cheesecakes for the last meeting of my favorite classes as an undergrad. IIRC, I added a French vanilla version for my last French class ever.

Although I'm a Brooklyn boy by birth and rep, I don't really enjoy Junior's cheesecakes. Something off about them. I think it's the mass produced, nearly frozen displays. Especially for the locations outside of Brooklyn.
We actually bought a Junior's cheesecake at Costco today.

I don't know that I have a very favorite dessert, but I am partial to yellow cake with chocolate icing for my birthday most years. This year I did actually have a cheesecake from Whole Foods. It was okay. But I didn't have to make it, so there's that.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We actually bought a Junior's cheesecake at Costco today.

I don't know that I have a very favorite dessert, but I am partial to yellow cake with chocolate icing for my birthday most years. This year I did actually have a cheesecake from Whole Foods. It was okay. But I didn't have to make it, so there's that.

I order about 5 juniors cheesecakes a year on goldbelly. I miss them terribly now that I live in California, but I actually eat more of them now than when I lived in NY. :)

I even gave one as a gift to an associate in our DC office who helped us out at the last minute on a trial.

But this year I got a tiramisu cake from Ferrera for my birthday instead.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We're don't do many deserts, rarely any prefab cookies, I reserve my cookie consumption when Wife makes her ++killer++ chocolate chips - or her buckeyes (PB balls dipped in chocolate - usually all that is for Xmas). don't do cakes, maybe a small pie, you know, maybe like a little something for a birthday. We occasionally might pick up some cannolis from the Pubs bakery. When we go out, we do it up, but almost never desert, sometime when we hit the BBQ joint we go to quite a bit, we'll walk around the corner to the boutique chocolate and icecream shop, get something to go (I posted some pics of their insane toasted coconut ice cream).

When we travel/vacation, it's a little different, we're kind of off the chain, hahaha, anything and everything goes. Even like at a Universal resort, we did the park, had a big meal, on the way back to the room we'll hit the cafe and get gelato, donuts, a box of oreos ... maybe a pizza :D

Oh, for anyone wanting something kind of different, these are pretty amazing (specifically the Kringles, but their other stuff is solid too):

Lots of styles and seasonal options too!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
maybe a pizza :D

I will say the wife discovered that the vent stack of our Ooni pizza oven is perfect for roasting marshmallows, which means S'mores. I can take them or leave them, but since she fixes me one, I do take it. Probably wouldn't go to the trouble if it were just me.

As for cookies, there is only one - the Snickerdoodle. Unlike tigers (5 points for anyone who gets the reference :)), I love cinnamon.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess i would have to say my favorite dessert might be Specialty’s milk chocolate chip cookies.

Or junior’s strawberry cheesecake.

Or Little Pie Company’s caramel apple pie.

Or Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food (they no longer make my actual favorite: apple pie)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I rarely eat dessert when I'm cooking for myself, and don't usually have it when dining out either. Used to buy Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt sometimes but it was never meant for dessert, just something I might attack with a spoon now and then in a drive-by attack on the freezer in midsummer!

D

Deleted member 215

Tiramisu, macarons, ice cream cake, and rice pudding are some of my favorite desserts. 😋

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Man you guys suck :ROFLMAO: since I cant eat carbs its another food group I cant eat. a spoon good ice crap is about all I can handle. or a grain free tiny pancake with maybe a teaspoon of maple syrup on it. to Justins nut butter dark chocolate cups. maybe a bite or two of a flowerless cake.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not fond of deserts in general. I prefer rain forests.

When it comes to desserts, anything chocolate. I took a batch of fudge to the neighbor’s last night and they swore I’d added in crack. Good stuff.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I'm not a big dessert person, but I do have certain favorites: just about anything chocolate, and I especially like the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. I'm happy that we're in the Easter season now, so when at the grocery store I can pick up some Reeses Pieces Easter eggs (peanut butter/chocolate). Mmmmm!!! Not fond of pies or cheesecake -- much prefer cakes (besides chocolate cake I love Carrot Cake). Many years ago I had something special that I have thought about wistfully ever since. A colleague who was from England brought in a Raspberry Trifle for all of us to enjoy -- Aaaaaaaah!!!! Bliss, sheer bliss.....

Since I have moderate lactose intolerance I don't eat a lot of ice cream but I do enjoy it once in a while. I also do like sherbets and sorbets. Anything raspberry...... Sometimes I'll just eat a bunch of raspberries and call that dessert. Makes me quite happy.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I’m not fond of deserts in general. I prefer rain forests.

When it comes to desserts, anything chocolate. I took a batch of fudge to the neighbor’s last night and they swore I’d added in crack. Good stuff.

Favorite books about the desert:

J. M. G. Le Clézio's Desert, a novel translated to English about the colonial and post-colonial experience of Saharan Africans and of emigrants to Marseille.

Arthur Mangin's The Desert World. An oldie, but opens one's eyes past the clichéd images of deserts as being seemingly boundless places of sand like the Sahara proper or the Gobi desert. Say there are deserts in Brittany, for instance, and the average American is startled. Call the Hamptons deserts and the average American will call you a liar...

More on desserts: @ronntaylor reminded me that I do like a good rice pudding.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
This stuff. Edible cookie dough that they sell at the shop across the street. Just a tiny cup goes a long way.

1649623076699.png

Top Bottom
1 2