FBI executed search warrant at Mar-a-Lago

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Supreme Court has declined Trump team's request to intervene in the documents case - meaning the Special Master will not be able to review the classified documents (being a decent judge, he didn't want to anyways).

This essentially renders the special master case mostly useless. It was a time-buying ploy from the beginning, and that's all it is now.

right in the nuts trumps poor attemps to delay get a kick. can you imagine one of trumps lawyers attempting to argue this with such judges? I don't think the trump worship would go over well.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
right in the nuts trumps poor attemps to delay get a kick. can you imagine one of trumps lawyers attempting to argue this with such judges? I don't think the trump worship would go over well.

Trump's filings are borderline criminal themselves. He's absolutely entitled to whatever he's entitled to under the law, but at some point, it makes a joke of our legal system and I'm surprised more judges don't treat he and his lawyers that way. That has actually happened a few times though, especially in the January 6 lawsuits that Rudy and Powell were filing on his behalf.

It's water circling the drain at this point. It's almost like the climax to a movie where the protagonist is also the antagonist. Kinda like towards the end of Breaking Bad. Trump has gotten away with a lot for a long time, and entering politics and having a third of the country worship him and having people from trailer parks all the way up to political leaders themselves defending everything he did only perpetuated the myth in his own head that he is invisible and what he says is absolute fact. No matter how much it may seem that way - and it does - it's not reality.

It's all coming down on him rather quickly at this point. The government is pretty much full-on with its investigation, and probably has been ever since Judge Cannon's decision was appealed. They have the classified documents and they probably have a lot of other stuff Trump doesn't even know about. And just remember - a special master who act's impartial isn't there just to give everything back to Trump. He's there to give Trump back what he's entitled to. Evidence of fruits of other crimes or in support of what's being investigated will not be returned to Trump except for in strict circumstances. The only win for him thus far is his ability to delay, but the quicker you go to the Supreme Court, the faster you run out of options. I expect the pace to pick up quickly after the midterms.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
… the myth in his own head that he is invisible and what he says is absolute …

I am guessing you meant "invincible".

I am hoping that today's hearing gets a lot of air, because it really really paints him up in a bad light and depicts the assault on the Capitol horrifically. I could barely stand to listen to it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The goal now is to get TFG in front of the committee to testify. We know he will try his usual delay tactics. If he refuses, he needs the Bannon treatment so that he’ll have (yet another) court in which he must testify or go directly to jail. (Speaking of Bannon, I am SO looking forward to his sentencing and jailing!)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Trump Organization II. What a breathtaking sophisticated enigma. They'll never figure it out! :ROFLMAO:
And the DA is already filing charges since he was specifically charged to not run any other companies without supervision.

I figure it’s the same reason he buried Ivana at his golf course.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
And the DA is already filing charges since he was specifically charged to not run any other companies without supervision.

I figure it’s the same reason he buried Ivana at his golf course.

I look forward to Trump's next book, Art of the Multi-level Catastrophic Failure. Chapter One: Always Be Three Steps Behind Your Adversary.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I look forward to Trump's next book, Art of the Multi-level Catastrophic Failure. Chapter One: Always Be Three Steps Behind Your Adversary.

Trump's counsel: "We never said just pull the ripcord. Who even ever told you there was a parachute?"

we never said just pull the ripcord.jpg

[photo credit: Carl Bovis]

lizkat

Reaction score

Some serious bluff-calling starting to amble down this here road of Trump's attempts to dodge legal perdition by way of insinuation and procrastination....

The records recovered by the government during the August 8 search that bear classification markings are the very records that Plaintiff was required to produce on June 3, and over which he raised no claim of executive privilege. Having failed to produce documents responsive to a lawful grand-jury subpoena, Plaintiff should not be rewarded with an opportunity to further delay the government’s investigation by interposing such privilege claims now. Cf. Ramirez v. Collier, 142 S. Ct. 1264, 1282 (2022) (“When a party seeking equitable relief ‘has violated conscience, or good faith, or other equitable principle, in his prior conduct, then the doors of the court will be shut against him.’” (quoting Keystone Driller Co. v. General Excavator Co., 290 U.S. 240, 245 (1933))).

and

Among other things, the records’ classification status—including whether they were declassified and in what circumstances—would be an important consideration in assessing whether they contain “national defense information” within the meaning of Section 793. See, e.g., United States v. Truong Dinh Hung, 629 F.2d 908, 918 n.9 (4th Cir. 1980) (noting relevance of classification status). And even if they had been declassified, the records could still be evidence of obstruction of justice because the grand-jury subpoena sought evidence of all records that were marked as classified. Moreover, if any records were actually declassified, the government would have an additional compelling need to understand which formerly classified records had been declassified, why, and how, in order to evaluate the effects of any such declassification, including on the protection of intelligence sources and methods and on the classification status of related records or information.

and

It was Plaintiff’s burden to establish a possessory interest in the seized records when he brought this suit, and he cannot rely on threadbare insinuations to establish yet another “dispute” that must be adjudicated before a special master. Further, Plaintiff plainly would not be entitled to the return of evidence solely on the ground that the evidence belonged to him when it was seized. If that were the case, evidence rooms nationwide would soon be emptied.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The problem is, with each argument Trump makes, the more he implicates himself. These convoluted arguments are a waste of court time and I’m surprised they haven’t already reprimanded his counsel for trying to create fake arguments in a vain effort to find a loophole.

At some point, he not only loses these arguments and attempts at stonewalling in court, but he also is in a sense “speaking” by doing so. He should remain silent and let his lawyers work the case, but he hires complicit yes-men hacks, green lawyers unqualified for a case of this magnitude and a client likely to sink the whole ship. If he’s arguing these are his documents or that he’s entitled to them, he’s admitted to taking them. That’s a crime, period. They are not his and he is not entitled to them, and obstructing and lying isn’t going to help him at all.

lizkat

Reaction score
The problem is, with each argument Trump makes, the more he implicates himself. These convoluted arguments are a waste of court time and I’m surprised they haven’t already reprimanded his counsel for trying to create fake arguments in a vain effort to find a loophole.

At some point, he not only loses these arguments and attempts at stonewalling in court, but he also is in a sense “speaking” by doing so. He should remain silent and let his lawyers work the case, but he hires complicit yes-men hacks, green lawyers unqualified for a case of this magnitude and a client likely to sink the whole ship. If he’s arguing these are his documents or that he’s entitled to them, he’s admitted to taking them. That’s a crime, period. They are not his and he is not entitled to them, and obstructing and lying isn’t going to help him at all.

I think the government may be fixin' to get Judge Cannon reprimanded for ever having issued any part of her original ruling. On their way to getting the whole thing gone.

You're right that Trump is wasting their time. He's in so deep now that the government is citing stuff from cases they won against Richard Nixon -- and Nixon was still a sitting President at the time.

Trump is either too desperate or too stupid to realize that putting up arguments about crap like executive privileges after he lacks related standing is just asking for at least an obstruction of justice charge.

His earlier counsel latched on to some of the executive privilege questions because they may remain somewhat untested, regarding post-WH status and former presidents wanting to hold back certain notes or documents, but the idiots didn't consider what kind of documents they were talking about.

As the latest government filing asserts, there are situations where no question of privilege could possibly take precedence over the government's retention of seized material, particularly where the issue was Trump's very possession of such documents at all, once having departed office, and especially after he had been subpoenaed for them and had even asserted he had returned stuff when that was not true.

We're not talking about sarcastic thank you for the nice evening notes from Angela Merkel or such, e.g. the kind of thing that some historians love to find in National Archive records and that presidents might prefer just to hang onto as souvenirs.

The documents marked classified had been identified as stratosphere-level and restricted-distribution, with zero reason for a former president to have exported them... and probably even less reason even to have thought about declassifying them. The government wants to go through them for any patterns in their content or type-- so they can maybe clarify how much and what kind of jeopardy this guy Trump may have created for the USA.

I hope the DoJ sticks it to him. I'm all for due process but not for this level of horsefeathers.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It’s the fact that the documents are not his which is what makes the legal hoops the rightful owners have to jump through insane.

At some point, the courts are going to have to concur that this stalling process is cyclical; a thief can’t and shouldn’t be able to argue the items they stole can’t be used against them, and should even be returned to them! That just makes no sense and that’s essentially what Trump is aiming for.

Do you know how many drug dealers are in prison right now who would love to have been able to successfully argue a third-party should search the drugs, or the court should immediately demand the prosecution return the drugs to them?

The courts should lean on the fact that government documents belong to the government irrespective of their classification. The documents are quite simply either the property of the archives or they aren’t. One of these judges needs to call Trump’s attorneys out and make them answer simple questions or risk being reprimanded.

Like a thief stealing your car with the title in it, and the thief gets the judge to ban you from getting your documents proving the car is yours from the car itself.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess we are at the throw it against the wall and see if it sticks stage in this saga. Or maybe we have passed that into the absolute absurdity stage.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1573492616510980118/
He’s been saying for years now that he has proof of this, that, or the other, but never manages to show said proof. The problem, of course, is that his fans don’t need proof. They will swallow anything.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
He’s been saying for years now that he has proof of this, that, or the other, but never manages to show said proof. The problem, of course, is that his fans don’t need proof. They will swallow anything.

It's whenever trump makes a false claim, immediately followed by his "...you know it's true." that somehow puts a spell on his followers.

Top Bottom
1 2