File under - ok, they got me

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
When I moved to this condo apartment back in 1994 I realized it was time to replace my rather old and cranky vacuum cleaner (don't even remember now what brand it was, but it probably was a Hoover) -- and I bought a Dyson. It's still going strong and does the job more than nicely! Mine is not cordless, though, and it's older than the models which have the "ball" configuration. I just recently bought a cordless handheld vacuum (not Dyson) to use in the car and also in the house to get into some of the places it's hard to reach with the Dyson.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The last vacuum I bought was a cordless Dyson stick. I use it far more often than any vacuum I’ve had in the past because it’s so easy to grab, use, clean, and store/charge.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Used my new handheld cordless vacuum in the car today to get rid of the bits and pieces of leaves left by my shoes in the driver's side of the car. Looked messy, and heaven forfend, cannot have that in a brand-new car, can we?! LOL! New little vacuum worked a treat and the leaves were cleaned up in a jiffy, so now the driver's side floor is all nice and clean again. :). I also tried it here in the house in some crevices which were hard to get with my regular floor vacuum, and wow, that works a treat, too! This thing is going to come in very handy. When and if it breaks, I'll look at the Dyson ones the next time, as that had not even occurred to me.....

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I forget the brand of the last regular household vacuum cleaner I bought... it's long since gone to the landfill's e-cycle section or might be upstairs in a closet. Meanwhile I wear earplugs and use a shop vac for regular cleaning. Otherwise it's some battery-operated crumb-picker-upper. Yes there is a coffee mug out there says Quilting Forever Housework Whenever.

Sort of wandering back to the thread topic of getting sucked in by cute videos, I am about to ditch all my election-focused individual follows on Twitter, which often began via seeing some political post and then wandering to that person's account and seeing

[Joe Biden's ad with the cats, for instance]​

and only THEN putting a follow on them.

Anyway as usual during politically fraught times, my "following" list bloomed like a dystopian film about a lab's Petri dish contents getting out of hand. So now I'll revert to following only the main accounts of publications to which I subscribe.... and of course the few accounts I can't resist following bc.. well... cuteness or else just random good mornings.,

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1326487178860441601/

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
The original post mentioned cute, but will debonair work? 😆

63441FC8-7A87-4D3A-AA49-FE9B8D53BA1E.jpeg

lizkat

Reaction score
It is really cute. I don't like to encourage people to hand-feed wildlife though. It can be dangerous for the animals.

In NYC, some of the enterprising sparrows in the Grace Plaza on Sixth Ave and 43rd were so fat from snacking on tossed bits of hotdog buns near the vendors' corner that it's a wonder the little puffballs could get off the ground again when they went to fly somewhere. They mostly hung out in shrubs near the carts and for all I know just slept there too.

But yes, people might not know what it's safe for a bird to eat, and a hungry bird might try something new that it's not meant to consume. In winter birds may need shelter more than they do specially provided food, although around here there are usually stands of conifers they can roost in, or outbuildings left partly open. But for food there are still plenty of back pastures offering seeds in grasses left standing along hedgerows and stone fences.

lizkat

Reaction score
Look at this bastard! LOOK AT IT!

View attachment 1631

A veterinarian dentist's dream! Gawr that thing is bigger than some of the dogs like to think about taking it on.

Gee they really are a lot cuter when they're smaller. Or at least the one was that lingered outside my window in the lilac bush.

One of my bros used to do carpentry work down on Hilton Head in the winters. One day as he was getting tools from his truck his boss waved him off: "Nah, get back in the truck man, we'll do this one after the possum in there feels like moving on." Boss had pulled up the first of some rotted porch steps and was greeted by a really loud hiss and a set of teeth looked about like those in that photo you posted. I don't know when it is they "play dead" but apparently that was not one of those times.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Gee they really are a lot cuter when they're smaller. Or at least the one was that lingered outside my window in the lilac bush.

At one time, I practically had a possum as a pet. He and my old cat Homer had apparently struck up a kind of friendship behind the scenes, and every night during feeding, they'd sit side by side, and dine from the same bowl. It happened so often for so long, the possum actually became used to having me around, and wouldn't scurry off when I stepped out the door.

I never pet him or took him into the house for obvious reasons, but he hung around for a good 2-3 years.

lizkat

Reaction score
At one time, I practically had a possum as a pet. He and my old cat Homer had apparently struck up a kind of friendship behind the scenes, and every night during feeding, they'd sit side by side, and dine from the same bowl. It happened so often for so long, the possum actually became used to having me around, and wouldn't scurry off when I stepped out the door.

I never pet him or took him into the house for obvious reasons, but he hung around for a good 2-3 years.

My porch cat occasionally shared her plate with a smallish possum one year, not sure how they worked that out but neither possum nor cat was acting like it was a big deal to be in the same space, so I went along with it while it lasted. The cat had had a rabies shot and the possum, although fairly young looking, was big enough not to sit still for undue rudeness from the cat, so I just stayed out of it. I felt like I was running a bed and breakfast there for awhile though.

I popped back in here tonight to put up a birdwatcher's tweeted video of a belted kingfisher in Central Park down in NYC. Totally cute waiting out a rainstorm and shaking off water before resuming the hunt for food.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1334673589681971200/

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You may think this doesn't belong here but it does. Just for a different reason. There's sadly way too many videos like this, at least the beginning is said.

U

User.45

A veterinarian dentist's dream! Gawr that thing is bigger than some of the dogs like to think about taking it on.

One of my bros used to do carpentry work down on Hilton Head in the winters. One day as he was getting tools from his truck his boss waved him off: "Nah, get back in the truck man, we'll do this one after the possum in there feels like moving on." Boss had pulled up the first of some rotted porch steps and was greeted by a really loud hiss and a set of teeth looked about like those in that photo you posted. I don't know when it is they "play dead" but apparently that was not one of those times.
It's a great strategy tho. Their ugly look is for the dead on performance playing 'possum. North-Americas only marsupial. Gotta low 'em!

Top Bottom
1 2