File under - ok, they got me

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Because we need a thread where we cop to it when we get sucked into cute.

Check out the end of this one. It's hilariously like kindergarten.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1310206305399787520/

No, @lizkat: In this forum, given the number of exiles (voluntary and involuntary from MR), an instruction that reads "file under, they got me," initially had me fearing that you may have had an encounter with the ban hammer in that place.

Happy to see that it was black-capped Bolivian monkeys tucking into ice-lollies instead.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No, @lizkat: In this forum, given the number of exiles (voluntary and involuntary from MR), an instruction that reads "file under, they got me," initially had me fearing that you may have had an encounter with the ban hammer in that place.

I had the same initial thought! Interesting thought. One of the (many) words I’ve held onto from childhood is icelolly. I always say it, I never remember the American word for it, and people always ask me what I’m talking about.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
OK so maybe we need a different thread title. I couldn't find a place to stash "cute" but wanted to post that video somewhere.

What IS the word for icelolly anyway? Popsicle? (that feels like saying Xerox for photocopy).

lizkat

Reaction score
That’s it! And you’re probably right. It’s a brand name that took over. Xerox, Kleenex....

Hoover...

Wow, until the age of the info highway, I had always thought of that last one as a British / Irish appropriation of brand for the generic device or activity, but when I looked it up in Wikipedia it mentioned the USA as well.

I've heard ice-pops too for popsicles... but not sure where. New Jersey maybe? Or Jersey guys in my offices in NYC talking about going down to the shore for this that and the other thing on the weekends... but there I think ice pops were incidental at best, i.e. not their main focus.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, until the age of the info highway, I had always thought of that last one as a British / Irish appropriation of brand for the generic device or activity, but when I looked it up in Wikipedia it mentioned the USA as well.

I've heard ice-pops too for popsicles... but not sure where. New Jersey maybe? Or Jersey guys in my offices in NYC talking about going down to the shore for this that and the other thing on the weekends... but there I think ice pops were incidental at best, i.e. not their main focus.

I always think of ice-pops as the frozen juice in a plastic sleeve, rather than the square on a stick.

I don’t say Hoover for the same reason I say photocopy and tissue. At some point I became very brand-aware.

lizkat

Reaction score
The only stuff approximating popsicles or ice pops that I still like are street gelatos which aren't really the same, and which I haven't had more than a few times after giving up my pied-à-terre in NYC.

I did have a thing for orange creamsicles once upon a time but then I discovered chocolate covered ice cream bars and finally had to JUST SAY NO to that whole aisle in the supermarket. Even Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt: I had the bad luck to have encountered my primary care doc in the store one evening with two pints of that in the top of my cart... and there he was all tricked out in sweats with a couple heads of Romaine lettuce and some bottled water in a shopping basket. "What else ya got in that cart?" he wanted to know. Big grin on his face. At least there I was on firmer ground as it was mostly fresh produce.

OK we need to rename this thread or else merge it with random derp... i forgot about that thread. Maybe cute videos once in awhile wouldn't pollute that thread too much.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Check out the end of this one. It's hilariously like kindergarten.

It does remind me of my days in kindergarten, when the teachers would put us all in the big playpen, and throw us cups of vanilla ice cream to eat.

...which reminds me of how much I miss those ice cream cups with the little wooden spoons. Wonder if they still make those.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It does remind me of my days in kindergarten, when the teachers would put us all in the big playpen, and throw us cups of vanilla ice cream to eat.

...which reminds me of how much I miss those ice cream cups with the little wooden spoons. Wonder if they still make those.
The wooden taste of the spoon is also an important part of that memory for me.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I always think of ice-pops as the frozen juice in a plastic sleeve, rather than the square on a stick.

I don’t say Hoover for the same reason I say photocopy and tissue. At some point I became very brand-aware.

I've never heard anyone from the US say "hoover".
Well this is not a video just a tweet in a thread, but I got sucked into the cute of it anyway

I like how the first comment there is a nerd joke about an ancient text editor.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
My mother aways used the word (as both noun and verb) "hoover", even though our "hoover", for quite some time, has actually been a Miele.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
We had a Kirby when I was a kid. Thing felt like it weighed a ton to little me. I had a Hoover for the last 15 years but it hasn’t been picking up very well in the last year, so it got replaced with a cordless Dyson.

Top Bottom
1 2