Finally an example of where the American measurement system makes more sense

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree feet, miles, quarts, etc defies any kind of unified logic, but it's what us Americans (fuck ya!) use. But just now I witnessed when it's a far better option, although often unnoticed until now.

Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love features the lyric "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love". Even Robert Plant, a Brit, realized "I'm gonna give you every centimeter of my love" is a shit lyric that makes you think less about sex and more about carpentry.

USA!!

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Umm...didn't all of the Imperial shit come from England? :D

Pretty sure all of the carpentry in North America is still inches and feet...at least it was the last time I went to the lumber yard - and Canada went metric in the 70's (at least started to). Mind you, I think all of us over 45 up here still think in MPH and pounds. :) All floor plans are still in feet.

And cooking - everyone still uses tablespoons and cups. Only in mass are we using grams. :)

They won in volume (everything litres) and temperature...hah - except for cooking! That's still Fahrenheit :D

I think a lot of that is inertia. I have 375 recipes in my Paprika Recipe Manager - not going to spend the effort converting everything - and almost all recipes online, if they're using volume are still using Imperial.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
They should define a league as 5Km, which would be about right and wold fit with metric ideals (the way long ton does). I am also in favor of using astronomical prefixes: a light year is a little under 10Pm (petameters), so we could continue on with exameters (100+ly) and so forth, just to simplify the language.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Mind you, I think all of us over 45 up here still think in MPH and pounds. :) All floor plans are still in feet.

What's interesting is that two shows I watch, Highway Thru Hell (you probably know it as Highway Heroes: Canada) and Heavy Rescue:401 are both set in Canada and produced by the same company.

Yet one will talk about snow levels in CM and the other in Inches. Both do distances in miles, but temps in Celsius. I'm pretty good about quickly converting CM to inches, but to convert negative C to F takes a converter.

I just got a new SXS, designed by an American company (Polaris) and built in Mexico. When putting on my new spare tire rack, all the instructions are in MM. That's fine for bolt sizes, but I don't own a metric tape so I had to convert it.

And there is no good reason to have both SAE and Metric tools. Pick one, either one I don't care, and use it exclusively. What's even more annoying is 3rd party manufacturers will use SAE even though the top 4 brands (Polaris, CanAm, Honda & Kawasaki) all use metric. So you buy a 3rd party accessory and have to use metric tools to remove factory parts and then use SAE tools to install the new part. Maddening.

Top Bottom
1 2