F'ing terrorist

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
A group of food freedom fighters are sneaking out in the middle of the night (and sometimes in broad daylight) grafting fruit-producing limbs onto sterile urban trees, specifically bred not to bear fruit.

Known as the “Guerilla Grafters,” their mission is to provide free, healthy food where it’s needed most – urban food deserts.

Ever wonder why none of the trees in big cities produce anything useful, like nuts or fruit? According to the Guerilla Grafters, it’s because they are intentionally bred not to.

City planners specifically select sterile varieties of many common fruit trees (apples, pears, plums, cherries) because of their beauty to decorate their streets.

But they don’t want to be held liable for any potentially slippery messes fallen fruit could create on city sidewalks, or any animals it could attract (think bees, birds, squirrels)

I sure how they do it near me.
I do understand the cities position, we live in a country that LOVES fucking lawsuits because the coffee was hot, there are a gazillion POS "lawyers" just lining up for whatever you wish to sue and fighting these POS blood suckers takes money.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I too understand the cities' position. And as the story later points out, they don't want trees with berries and such attracting wildlife.

I wouldn't go so far as to call thee people terrorists, but they are fanatics. It takes all kinds... 🙄

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
I too understand the cities' position. And as the story later points out, they don't want trees with berries and such attracting wildlife.

I wouldn't go so far as to call thee people terrorists, but they are fanatics. It takes all kinds... 🙄
please adjust thy sarcasm meter, I was being facetious by calling them terrorist.
would be nice if we at least had like a park area with nothing but fruit trees that people could pick from.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
please adjust thy sarcasm meter, I was being facetious by calling them terrorist.
would be nice if we at least had like a park area with nothing but fruit trees that people could pick from.

Public gardens would be wonderful.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sort of off topic here, but I read a recent story about a "young entrepreneur" who had the radical out of the box idea to organize trucks to take food to food banks that farmers were just going to toss or let rot. He originally thought he could just show up with a pickup but quickly learned he would need semi trailers to move all the produce available. Why the fuck isn't this already happening? I'm deducting 5 salt of the earth points from farmers having learned just letting food rot is quite common. As far as I'm concerned they are right up there with OPEC on market and scarcity manipulation and government subsidies. Screw you farmers!

Except Farmer Derek here. He's good farmer people.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
FREE Public farmers market where you get fresh veggies/fruits would be freaking AWESOME. should be on city property .

Not a market. No buying/selling. Just a co-op. Everyone helps plant, water, weed. Everybody reaps.

As far as I'm concerned they are right up there with OPEC on market and scarcity manipulation and government subsidies. Screw you farmers!

Totally agree. All the milk that was spilled this summer when restaurants were closed. Holy shit! And yet farmers are subsidized. If they’re being subsidized, at least send the product to people who are desperate for food.

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
118084317_697023510884145_8974670037651888236_n.jpg

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
The park near my house where I grew up had a massive orange tree farm that the city paid for. I don't think we were supposed to pick them but anything that fell was fair game. Was always fun picking some of those up on our way back from a hike.

Pretty hard to grow stuff in the high desert tho. Lived there for 8 years and ... sure after a rain, weeds sprouted, but most of the trees have died off over the last 10 years because of the drought (old google maps pics).

Tons of restaurants have closed near us - even our most favorite family run Peruvian restaurant closed. We've been cooking more than ever. If I had a front/back yard now, I'd be planting!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tons of restaurants have closed near us - even our most favorite family run Peruvian restaurant closed. We've been cooking more than ever. If I had a front/back yard now, I'd be planting!

Where are you? (If I ever knew I’ve forgotten.) I’ve had a less than successful garden this summer. What I have in planters have done well, but I waited so long for my raised bed to arrive, things didn’t do so well there, and my tomato plants are 6 feet tall, but have born no fruit. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’ve done really well with peppers though. I have seeds for a full winter garden now, and will be putting them down next week.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Where are you? (If I ever knew I’ve forgotten.) I’ve had a less than successful garden this summer. What I have in planters have done well, but I waited so long for my raised bed to arrive, things didn’t do so well there, and my tomato plants are 6 feet tall, but have born no fruit. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’ve done really well with peppers though. I have seeds for a full winter garden now, and will be putting them down next week.

Grew up in Southern California - Northridge area (about 40 mins north of Los Angeles). Right now I'm living in San Bernardino county, about 57 miles east of Los Angeles. In between those two locations, I spent 7-8 years in the high desert (2.5 hours north east of LA).

I've never been really good with plants but I always enjoyed the outdoors (hiking). If I did more hiking now I'd be a lot thinner for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2