Florida High School Student Suspended After Handing Out Pride Flags

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
sounds like as usual florida stupid is at work.

A Florida high school student has been suspended indefinitely after handing out pride flags during a walkout to protest the state’s so-called “Don’t Say Gay” bill.
Flagler Palm Coast High School junior Jack Petocz helped organize a statewide walkout on Thursday to protest House Bill 1557, a hugely controversial measure that would prohibit school instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade.

About 500 students at his Palm Coast school participated in Thursday’s walkout, chanting, “Say gay!” Petocz handed out 200 pride flags he said he purchased with his own money. Students had been given just 15 minutes to protest.
Petocz told the Daytona Beach News-Journal he was called into the principal’s office after the protest, “told I was disrespectful and openly advocating against staff.”

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Sounds like the Florida Gezpacho police are hard at work. :mad:

I blame Governor Ron DeFascist and the state legislature. They are setting the standard there with their perversely restrictive laws.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like the Florida Gezpacho police are hard at work. :mad:

I blame Governor Ron DeFascist and the state legislature. They are setting the standard there with their perversely restrictive laws.
yep they are going crazy with Christian Right wing laws.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Hang on, I thought the bill was limited to classroom teaching in K-3rd grade.
It specifically bans certain teaching in those grades, but it adds a clause about “age appropriate” teaching in other grades that could be interpreted pretty liberally if they want to shut it down in any grade.

The specific language:

…in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.

The second part of that is open to a wide range of interpretations.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
It specifically bans certain teaching in those grades, but it adds a clause about “age appropriate” teaching in other grades that could be interpreted pretty liberally if they want to shut it down in any grade.

The specific language:

The second part of that is open to a wide range of interpretations.
LOL "state standards", Florida... :rolleyes:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can we build a fucking wall around FLA to keep the crazy contained? I can go the rest of my life without visiting again. We don’t need it, let’s have them secede and think it’s their idea. That state is a fucking house of horrors.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Can we build a fucking wall around FLA to keep the crazy contained? I can go the rest of my life without visiting again. We don’t need it, let’s have them secede and think it’s their idea. That state is a fucking house of horrors.

Can you put a secured door on it so we can escape? Just make it a lock where the combination is a solution to a simple math equation. Since the GOP thinks math is evil and loaded with covert CRT teachings, they'll never figure it out ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And I shit you not, I know some people talk the talk, but if things get too far off the rails around here, we will move.

Top Bottom
1 2