Florida Republicans Pass Bill Banning The Word ‘Gay’ In Schools

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Parental Rights in Education bill, also known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, passed Thursday in the House Education and Employment Committee largely along party lines and would bar educators from talking about LGBTQ+ topics, claiming it’s not “age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students.”

The legislation also allows parents to take legal action against their child’s school district and be awarded damages if they believe any of its policies infringe on their “fundamental right to make decisions regarding the upbringing and control of their children,” according to The Hill.

“This bill is about defending the most awesome responsibility a person can have: being a parent,” Florida state Rep. Joe Harding (R), who first introduced the bill, said Thursday. “That job can only be given to you by above.”

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

There should be a special place in hell for this version of the Republican Party. A special place in the dustbin of history would also be a nice gesture, if traditional conservatives would grow some stones and oust these Trump-cultist showboaters.

In response, schools could just use colorful euphemisms in lieu of. Kill the spirit of the law by following it to the absolute letter.

Yeah and do it now before the law might actually get passed. It's only made it out of committee so far... although there's apparently a parallel bill that has been introduced in the Florida state senate, so it's more than just fodder for some house campaign ads.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
“This bill is about defending the most awesome responsibility a person can have: being a parent,” Florida state Rep. Joe Harding (R), who first introduced the bill, said Thursday. “That job can only be given to you by above.”
So, adoption doesn’t exist? I thought the right was all about the joys of adoption now since they’re gonna ban abortion in all the states they control. And if somebody can’t get pregnant, is that because God hates them? These people are so full of 💩.

It seems like right-wingers have latched onto the idea that school curriculum is an area where they can ignore the first amendment and impose a system of censorship reminiscent of China.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So, adoption doesn’t exist? I thought the right was all about the joys of adoption now since they’re gonna ban abortion in all the states they control. And if somebody can’t get pregnant, is that because God hates them? These people are so full of 💩.

It seems like right-wingers have latched onto the idea that school curriculum is an area where they can ignore the first amendment and impose a system of censorship reminiscent of China.
Well said!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Parental Rights in Education bill, also known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, passed Thursday in the House Education and Employment Committee largely along party lines and would bar educators from talking about LGBTQ+ topics, claiming it’s not “age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students.”

The legislation also allows parents to take legal action against their child’s school district and be awarded damages if they believe any of its policies infringe on their “fundamental right to make decisions regarding the upbringing and control of their children,” according to The Hill.

These asshats, just a century late are retro sinister homophobe idiots marching backwards to the Inquisition, completely wrong for the 21st century. They make me want to 🤮.

D

Deleted member 215

As a bisexual kid going through puberty trying to figure out why I wasn’t “normal”, I would’ve appreciated any mention of LGBTQ people/issues in school when I was growing up. Even though I was raised in a liberal area, I went to private schools and sex education was almost entirely about heterosexuality and STDs and little else was mentioned. LGBT kids can benefit immensely from being taught at the bare minimum that LGBT people exist and it’s normal to not be experiencing sexuality the same way everyone else is. Yet even that would be going way too far for these “culture warriors” 🙄

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
As a bisexual kid going through puberty trying to figure out why I wasn’t “normal”, I would’ve appreciated any mention of LGBTQ people/issues in school when I was growing up. Even though I was raised in a liberal area, I went to private schools and sex education was almost entirely about heterosexuality and STDs and little else was mentioned. LGBT kids can benefit immensely from being taught at the bare minimum that LGBT people exist and it’s normal to not be experiencing sexuality the same way everyone else is. Yet even that would be going way too far for these “culture warriors” 🙄
Will children of same-sex couples be forbidden from speaking about their parents at school? Will gay teachers be forbidden from having a picture of their spouse or significant other on their desk? Will civics teachers be forbidden from discussing gay-rights Supreme Court cases and laws?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

Am I the only one who doesn't see the glaring problem here?

"Believe"?

This is the same crowd that swears CRT is being taught their children, but can't even correctly tell you what it is? They can't provide any concrete examples of CRT being taught, but swear it is. So for them, that "swearing" has been enough to get triggered & pass bills on it.

This could be turned into a variation of the TX s#!tshow, where basically any easily triggered parent could consider legal ( a bounty ) action against a teacher they don't care for.

For a group that USED to rail against "frivolous lawsuits", they certainly aren't above empowering their own crowd with the ability to file as many as they want.

Yeah, "big gov't" is bad. Unless they decide it's good for them to use against those they don't care for.

U

User.45

Bois making Putin gay proud about this.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't see the glaring problem here?

It looks like they're passing a crazy new law, then leaving that door wide open so they can come back for any reason that offends them down the line. It also seems to be following the model of letting the citizens police things much like the Texas abortion law.

Some days I want to move to Alaska. Just so I can be even further away from Florida. It's turning into a conservative/religious/gun-toting amusement park.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Meanwhile on the upside, House Democrats have asked military historians to document the effects of past treatment of LGBTQ as a way of forestalling any future efforts to reinstate related bans on their open service or recruitment.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
There should be a special place in hell for this version of the Republican Party.
35E419D0-402E-4F10-B32F-7390C78782EE.jpeg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

You do not have the right to require school systems to make your child a bigoted ignoramus. That's what home schooling is for.

Seriously. Used to be, you don't like the curriculum, home school your kids. Now fascists want to take over public education.

No.

Top Bottom
1 2