Flowers

DT

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I __think__ this is the right sub-section for flowers, plants, etc. I'll defer to the Photos Management :D

Anyway, snapped this when I got back from school dropoff this morning, overcast sky, though the water droplets were kind of neat. This is a Mexican Petunia, it's classified as "invasive" in Florida, we like them, the whole front bed is filled, they're a tall, spindly plant that blooms with this purple flower, but occasionally pink - this was the only one in the whole bed today.

IMG_1079_1920.jpg

(No sign of our snake friend)

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Nikon
I don't know that I know the difference between a regular petunia and a Mexican one. Regular petunias are annuals here as we do get freezing weather and snow. They are also low growing and sprawling, so based on your description they are a bit different.

I never liked petunias as a kid; my dad would plant them and I'd have to pick off the spent, sticky flowers a couple times a summer. Blech. The newer varieties you don't have to deadhead though so I like them much better.

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Last edited:

DT

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You know, I had no idea what they were, only that they filled the main bed, and then popped up all over. There was a house up the street that had a massive, super dense bed of them, it looked like a purple carpet when they all bloomed!

Then I used an iPhone App to ID them (which is pretty amazing), here's a couple of articles:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That's a super sharp pic, iPhone? I can't get over how great these cameras have become.

DT

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, my pics almost always come from my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

DT

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A few pics, this is all in the front yard, I guess the palm wiener isn't a flower, but it's going here anyway :D

No color correction, edits, etc., just resized/de-EXIF'ed, it was a really overcast (and eventually stormy) day, we walked over to the beach, and I shot these as we were leaving (iPhone 13 Pro Max)

IMG_1387_1920.jpg

IMG_1388_1920.jpg

IMG_1389_1920.jpg

DT

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Snapped a couple of fun shots over at the beach.

This is a Bayhop or locally a (Beach) Morning Glory, there was a patch of these, they're off the walkway, in the dunes (where there's no walking), so this was shot with the zoom lens.

IMG_1450_1920.jpg

And this cute little fellow (just realized it turned out blurry ...) is on a Stinging Nettle, not sure who gets these in their area, but the small spines/barbs carry a toxin that causes a rash, swelling, burning and itching (interestingly they're also used for various medical treatments).

IMG_1451_1920.jpg

Top Bottom