Flowers

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I __think__ this is the right sub-section for flowers, plants, etc. I'll defer to the Photos Management :D

Anyway, snapped this when I got back from school dropoff this morning, overcast sky, though the water droplets were kind of neat. This is a Mexican Petunia, it's classified as "invasive" in Florida, we like them, the whole front bed is filled, they're a tall, spindly plant that blooms with this purple flower, but occasionally pink - this was the only one in the whole bed today.

IMG_1079_1920.jpg

(No sign of our snake friend)

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I don't know that I know the difference between a regular petunia and a Mexican one. Regular petunias are annuals here as we do get freezing weather and snow. They are also low growing and sprawling, so based on your description they are a bit different.

I never liked petunias as a kid; my dad would plant them and I'd have to pick off the spent, sticky flowers a couple times a summer. Blech. The newer varieties you don't have to deadhead though so I like them much better.

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You know, I had no idea what they were, only that they filled the main bed, and then popped up all over. There was a house up the street that had a massive, super dense bed of them, it looked like a purple carpet when they all bloomed!

Then I used an iPhone App to ID them (which is pretty amazing), here's a couple of articles:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That's a super sharp pic, iPhone? I can't get over how great these cameras have become.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, my pics almost always come from my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A few pics, this is all in the front yard, I guess the palm wiener isn't a flower, but it's going here anyway :D

No color correction, edits, etc., just resized/de-EXIF'ed, it was a really overcast (and eventually stormy) day, we walked over to the beach, and I shot these as we were leaving (iPhone 13 Pro Max)

IMG_1387_1920.jpg

IMG_1388_1920.jpg

IMG_1389_1920.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Snapped a couple of fun shots over at the beach.

This is a Bayhop or locally a (Beach) Morning Glory, there was a patch of these, they're off the walkway, in the dunes (where there's no walking), so this was shot with the zoom lens.

IMG_1450_1920.jpg

And this cute little fellow (just realized it turned out blurry ...) is on a Stinging Nettle, not sure who gets these in their area, but the small spines/barbs carry a toxin that causes a rash, swelling, burning and itching (interestingly they're also used for various medical treatments).

IMG_1451_1920.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2