General Food recalls

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Tyson has an ongoing and now burgeoning recall of chicken products over listeria concerns...

Heh, gotta consider the source in order to appreciate the last line in that piece

Tyson Foods is "one of the few stocks with an above-average dividend yield and an attractive valuation," Leo Nelissen writes in a bullish analysis posted recently on Seeking Alpha.

Some context... Tyson processes about 5 million birds a day. Average chicken weighs 5 pounds. So 25 million pounds of their chicken a day hits the market and this recall so far is dealing with 9 million pounds.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
rinse and repeat. but hey we need to process chickens even faster. what could possibly go wrong?

lizkat

Reaction score
rinse and repeat. but hey we need to process chickens even faster. what could possibly go wrong?

Yeah right? But I think the Biden administration is going to roll those line speed waivers back, or already has done. Too many people getting hurt, and the plausibility of adequate inspection was falling off the low end of all charts.

lizkat

Reaction score
another reason I don't buy cheap meat

Personally I'm ever more edging towards being a vegetarian, and otherwise a persnickety customer looking for organically raised local eggs and chicken, and occasionally meat or even sausage with local provenance.

On the other hand somehow I survived 35 years in the prime of my life very often taking out pretty cheap and delicious food from a certain hole-in-wall NYC Cuban-Chinese restaurant, and I had no clue what the ropa vieja was made out of, nor was I stupid enough to ask!

But, I must say that never in those days did I read about recalls like x-ty million pounds of beef recalled because someone found blue plastic or pieces of metal in the stuff...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Tyson has an ongoing and now burgeoning recall of chicken products over listeria concerns...

Heh, gotta consider the source in order to appreciate the last line in that piece

Some context... Tyson processes about 5 million birds a day. Average chicken weighs 5 pounds. So 25 million pounds of their chicken a day hits the market and this recall so far is dealing with 9 million pounds.
If that’s not enough listeria for you, you can have Blue Bell ice cream as dessert!

lizkat

Reaction score
If that’s not enough listeria for you, you can have Blue Bell ice cream as dessert!

Maybe we're going at this all wrong and just need to speed up evolution to where we welcome listeria as normal part of our array of gut bacteria. Set it to use devouring pesky little bits of gristle off poorly butchered chops and steaks or something!

We're supposed to be so innovative, well if industry's anti-regulation fetish keeps trying to kill us by assorted beancounting measures, then looks like we have to find workarounds for whatever associated and negative spinoff we're stuck with.

For listeria, diverting its parasitic behavior to other purposes is not beyond realm of possibility: it's already being researched as a possible vaccine against cancer due to its own ability to alter the immune response of targeted human cells on the fly.

In the meantime though, it's shameful that inspections are lax enough to let some of these listeria infestations at manufacturing (or harvesting) facilities get so out of hand. The array of foodstuffs across assorted types (dairy, meat and poultry, vegetables and fruits) is pretty alarming and makes even people with good immune systems think twice before they cut into some avocado or canteloupe without washing it first. As for ice cream, well... not much you can do except hope your own immune system's really up to the job if you happen to end up with listeria in a product like that.

Top Bottom
1 2