Forget Cancel Culture, We Have a Celeb Culture Issue

U

User.45

I think again, our attention is misplaced.... People complain about getting canceled, but the issue is really on the input end:

Celebrity culture provides a megaphone to people who honestly have very little original, meaningful, or insightful ideas. We apparently care about the 163 character comments of an athlete on social issues, yet people who study these topics receive a lot less attention. This applies to medical problems, when Trump or Elon Musk are pushing HCQ without an in-depth understanding of the field, yet the get many orders of magnitude the attention than the actual comprehensive studies that evaluated these questions.

The truth is, we are simply granting too much attention to people who don't deserve it. Rescinding it is cancel culture...yet it wouldn't even exist if we didn't expect answers to life's big questions from people who excel in something completely different. The other end of course is the Laura Ingraham types, who tell Lebron to "shut up and dribble", but they don't remind themselves that maybe their law degrees don't take them far enough to comment on medical aspects of COVID. Her own phrasing would apply like this: Laura, shut up and...uhm, just shut up.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm never actually sure whether Ingraham believes her own nonsense, but I am highly skeptical of her ability to follow any metaphor involving basketball.

lizkat

Deep deep blue
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Answering the question: Can Fox News possibly get any dumber ... ?

Even their legal counsel might have done some wondering out loud on that hire. But legal counsel at Fox might be treated the way risk management officers get treated at investment banks sometimes, when push is about to arrive at shove: "Could you give us a few moments please?" said with a gesture towards the conference room door.

lizkat

Deep deep blue
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Testimony of their adherence to quality reporting...

From what I can gather without actually watching Fox, they need to stop booking guests who still spout lies about election integrity issues and The Big Lie about Trump winning.

And they're not the only network needs to do that. Fox may have hosts that also keep the lies alive, but the other networks and cable shows still book in guests from the GOP who take the occasion to "liven up" things like the Sunday talk shows by trying to pitch those same damn lies. Some tweets after the weekend made that pretty clear, and mentioned that the hosts don't always persist in debunking false statements, figuring hey everybody knows this is BS so moving right along... well everybody DOESN'T know yet, at least if they're Fox watchers. Maybe if they're channel surfing and bump into the truth on another outlet, they might yet be saved from further idiocy at ballot boxes of the future.

I dunno. After four years of Trump if his followers don't get what a charlatan he is and what a shambles he and his agenda-driven advisors made of our government agencies, how can exposure to some non-Fox channel info for half an hour even begin to fix what's wrong in their heads? But see that's why GOP governors, state officials and legislators should be debunking Trump's Big Lies 24/7 in public themselves... instead of propagating the lies. What a mess.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm šŸ„°. People who whine the most about culture issues, deliver the most entertainment without realizing it,

And the complete lack of awareness that ISIS killed 3 women that work for a TV station yesterday. Heartless, brainless cowards. They could re-shoot Wizard of Oz and instead of needing a Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Lion, theyā€™d just need one Huckabee.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Reaction score
158443251_10225717926833561_8256429645714365972_o.jpg

U

User.45

Discarded their Goodyear tires over Trump support, destroyed Keurig coffeemakers after Keurig pulled advertising from Hannity's show, etc. It's all projection.
I've never thought about this before, but I have to say, that's a bad breakup because what Keurig is for coffee is what Hannity is for journalism.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've never thought about this before, but I have to say, that's a bad breakup because what Keurig is for coffee is what Hannity is for journalism.

I've never actually used one, so I can't comment. I just find it a little disingenuous that they label cancel culture as a liberal thing. Objecting to a company pulling advertising is just weird to me.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a better explainer of what 'cancel culture' really is....

From the comments section
ā€œA hit dog will hollerā€.

It doesnā€™t matter to them who is actually doing the censoring. They see themselves in the criticism. They feel like they are being preached at when there is any depiction of social justice in movies or TV because they identify with the perpetrator of the injustice being shown... not the victim.

Itā€™s a wonder to me they can even watch Star Wars without complaining about how unfairly the Empire is treated.

U

User.45

I've never actually used one, so I can't comment.
Keurig has the appeal like condensed urine extracted from a heated plastic capsule. The plastic nanoparticles serve are the secret ingredient.
Cancelling Keurig is actually a good thing. Maybe we could come up with a public health strategy that could allow us to cancel toxic food:)

I just find it a little disingenuous that they label cancel culture as a liberal thing. Objecting to a company pulling advertising is just weird to me.
If you attempt to understand it from a US conservative stand point, "cancel culture" is a phenomenon that impacts conservatives disproportionately because it's truly the only interface for them to experience being an actual political minority. Thanks to their political over representation, this is really the main avenue through which they experience how much they are outnumbered and overpowered by non-conservatives. And from that standpoint "cancel culture" works really efficiently as an antidote to trollservativism, where the value system was built around "owning the libs". It's insanely effective too, as at the end of the day, capital will line up with whatever pulls the majority of people in, and although it's nice to be able to double dip from both sides, if you are forced to pick one, the more lucrative one is usually that of the majority.

Top Bottom