Freedom queens

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
USA Today has a somewhat longish but dead-on opinion piece about the self-centered nature of America today.

The author argues that in a country where many people have it pretty good, asking the slightest thing in return (like wearing masks) has people acting out like drama queens.

Keep in mind the parents and grandparents of these pampered babies fought in wars and made great sacrifices. But somehow they think things are even worse now.

The people I have always counted on to be patriotic, sensible, and steady – like our ancestors had been under far more trying circumstances than our own – were now sirens of drama and complaint. Everything, they said, is as bad as it’s ever been. These, they were sure, are the worst times ever. We are all victims. Someone must pay.

The author goes on that this is not something peculiar to the Trump era. It’s been in the works a long time.

The moments that weighed on me accumulated over the years. Friends who had grown up with me in economically strapped circumstances, for example, would tell me how they thought America was a disastrous mess – while sailing their boats, or sending me pictures from their multiple vacations. Political arguments that were once friendly jousting took on an almost religious hue.

He also says lazy ignorance on the part of these folks sets them up to follow unscrupulous politicians who tell them what they want to think.

…our democracy now practically must run on autopilot independently of a public that is happily and willfully ignorant of the issues and wants nothing to do with the dreary business of governing. And with increasing frequency, our form of government is under attack by bored working and middle-class citizens – led by clever political and television figures – who have no use for democracy other than as slogans and window-dressing around their need to be the constant center of their own reality show.

And finally:

Our parents and grandparents had the fortitude to endure the 20th century, with two world wars and an economic disaster. In the 21st century, we lack the resilience even to overcome a pandemic, much less the great trials of a war or a depression. Worse, we are not mature or stoic enough even to endure the prosaic and often dull routines that are part of daily life.

He’s got something there. When people are so used to having everything they want, they cannot conceive of anyone saying no to them. And so they cry that their rights are being violated.

So there may be drama queens and (excuse the term) welfare queens), but from now on when I hear and see these snowflakes acting out because FREEDOM and ‘MURICA, I know I’m going to start thinking of them as freedom queens.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Your freedom ends when it causes harm to others. That is why vaccination and mask-wearing should not be optional. Others’ freedom from harm by you trumps your freedom to not get a shot or wear a mask.

Just like the gun owners. If you want to own 100 guns and shoot them for fun, fine. But if you hurt somebody, you’ve taken somebody else’s freedom away. If you brandish the weapon to threaten others to get what you want, you’ve taken their freedom away.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Your freedom ends when it causes harm to others. That is why vaccination and mask-wearing should not be optional. Others’ freedom from harm by you trumps your freedom to not get a shot or wear a mask.

Just like the gun owners. If you want to own 100 guns and shoot them for fun, fine. But if you hurt somebody, you’ve taken somebody else’s freedom away. If you brandish the weapon to threaten others to get what you want, you’ve taken their freedom away.

If a situation gets to the point I feel I need to brandish a weapon, they have already taken my sense of safety away. So at that point, I could care less about their "freedom".

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If a situation gets to the point I feel I need to brandish a weapon, they have already taken my sense of safety away. So at that point, I could care less about their "freedom".
What is your criteria for brandishing a weapon? For George Zimmerman, it was seeing a black kid wearing a hoodie. For the racist injury lawyers, it was people marching with BLM signs in their neighborhood.

It’s not surprising to me that a right-winger doesn’t give a shit about others’ freedoms, only their own. Truly on-brand with that one.

The freedom of others to not get infected by sick people trumps the freedom of the sickies trying to infect them. This case proves that as the law in America:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Paul Krugman has a very good article about this issue as well:

(Paywall removed)

To say what should be obvious, getting vaccinated and wearing a mask in public spaces aren’t “personal choices.” When you reject your shots or refuse to mask up, you’re increasing my risk of catching a potentially deadly or disabling disease, and also helping to perpetuate the social and economic costs of the pandemic. In a very real sense, the irresponsible minority is depriving the rest of us of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Furthermore, to say something that should also be obvious, those claiming that their opposition to public health measures is about protecting “freedom” aren’t being honest.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
What is your criteria for brandishing a weapon? For George Zimmerman, it was seeing a black kid wearing a hoodie. For the racist injury lawyers, it was people marching with BLM signs in their neighborhood.

It’s not surprising to me that a right-winger doesn’t give a shit about others’ freedoms, only their own. Truly on-brand with that one.

Correct. If I feel threatened, I DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR FREEDOM OR FEELINGS. OR WHAT COLOR YOU ARE. Where I live, I am much more likely to be threatened by some white trash POS looking for his next meth fix. We probably have more black bears around here than Black people, so trying to paint me as some right-wing racist who hunts Black people for sport really doesn't fit.

But to clarify, I have only ever brandished it once. Really more of a showing. Wasn't even in my hand, more of a pull my shirt up so it could be seen. But this was also back before WV became a Shall Issue state, so you had to go before a judge to get a permit, so they were still kind of rare.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Correct. If I feel threatened, I DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR FREEDOM OR FEELINGS. OR WHAT COLOR YOU ARE. Where I live, I am much more likely to be threatened by some white trash POS looking for his next meth fix. We probably have more black bears around here than Black people, so trying to paint me as some right-wing racist who hunts Black people for sport really doesn't fit.

But to clarify, I have only ever brandished it once. Really more of a showing. Wasn't even in my hand, more of a pull my shirt up so it could be seen. But this was also back before WV became a Shall Issue state, so you had to go before a judge to get a permit, so they were still kind of rare.
Well if I’m ever in your neighborhood, I will call ahead and ask you to please send me a list of things that make you “feel threatened” so I don’t get shot.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Well if I’m ever in your neighborhood, I will call ahead and ask you to please send me a list of things that make you “feel threatened” so I don’t get shot.

I think you will be fine. I am not threatened by color or ethnicity. I am threatened by actions. And no, walking down my street is not an "action". Nor is minding you own business.

Top Bottom
1 2