Fruit bats

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
They're kind of like little flying puppies. I imagine you would need to have preventative treatment for things like rabies though, prior to attempting such rescues.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
They're kind of like little flying puppies. I imagine you would need to have preventative treatment for things like rabies though, prior to attempting such rescues.

There's a couple of YouTube fruit bat rescue channels I subscribe to. I'm not sure what their preventative treatment is but I'm sure it's something because they don't seem to hesitate much in approaching and handling them.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
At Subic Bay US Naval Air Station, Philippines, I used to run from the BOQ up the mountain to the Hospital and besides the large snakes and troops of monkeys I would see on occasion, would be the large bat tree full of Fruit bats, sometimes flying, mostly hanging, and exotic environment great for running. :)

Then I also had a pet bat (not a fruit bat) as a teen, captured from a friends attic, but that did not turn out so well and I regret that. It was one of those desires, based on selfishness, and desire to possess, not the wellness of the animal.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
At Subic Bay US Naval Air Station, Philippines, I used to run from the BOQ up the mountain to the Hospital and besides the large snakes and troops of monkeys I would see on occasion, would be the large bat tree full of Fruit bats, sometimes flying, mostly hanging, and exotic environment great for running. :)

Then I also had a pet bat (not a fruit bat) as a teen, captured from a friends attic, but that did not turn out so well and I regret that. It was one of those desires, based on selfishness, and desire to possess, not the wellness of the animal.

Of course I wanted a pet bat when I was younger. And of course I still did when I became an adult, but even with the most minimal of research you'll find that that isn't a good idea. All the videos I post are of rescues that eventually get released back into the wild, but it seems when you live in Australia there's no shortage of fruit bats needing to be rescued. So if you're cool with a heavy rotation then it's almost like having a pet bat long term. It seems like they can somewhat coexist with a human and bond but I've never heard of a case of them returning back to the person who rehabilitated them back into the wild.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Of course I wanted a pet bat when I was younger. And of course I still did when I became an adult, but even with the most minimal of research you'll find that that isn't a good idea. All the videos I post are of rescues that eventually get released back into the wild, but it seems when you live in Australia there's no shortage of fruit bats needing to be rescued. So if you're cool with a heavy rotation then it's almost like having a pet bat long term. It seems like they can somewhat coexist with a human and bond but I've never heard of a case of them returning back to the person who rehabilitated them back into the wild.
I was always worried about rabies...

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was always worried about rabies...
That is something to worry about. Oddly with these fruit bat rescues it doesn't seem like they are taking much precautions with that. They where gloves but are open fingered. I wonder if rabies is rare in fruit bats.

Top Bottom
1 2