Gabby Petito

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I get the frustration with the media coverage but this girl doesn't deserve to be slighted IMO, she's a victim here.
She hasn’t been slighted, and no one is asking that to happen. We’re just asking that the same attention be given to women of color and men who go missing.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
She hasn’t been slighted, and no one is asking that to happen. We’re just asking that the same attention be given to women of color and men who go missing.
Couldn't disagree more. It's a fair question but in the wrong place, this thread was started about this particular victim and then it got politicized. Not sure why we're downplaying her for the failures of the media.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
U

User.45

Couldn't disagree more. It's a fair question but in the wrong place, this thread was started about this particular victim and then it got politicized. Not sure why we're downplaying her for the failures of the media.
Again, it also boils down to the consumer of such media. If we wouldn't consume it with disproportionate level of intensity, then they'd not cover it with a disproportionate level of intensity.

She was likely murdered, and there is a family that seems to be colluding and obstructing justice. Stuff like this happen to women all the time, so you wonder what is the difference here.

D

Deleted member 215

It’s ironic that one of the main sources perpetuating the issue is also reporting this, as if it’s 2 completely different entities that never talk to each other.

Yeah, going to chalk this up to CNN trying to score "woke points" more than any self-reflection on their part, given that they've been reporting on this story non-stop for a month like it's a bestselling thriller novel.

D

Deleted member 215

I think it's perfectly fair to discuss it here. I mentioned MWWS in my first comment on Page 1. The ramifications of this story go beyond the case itself. I think we should be able to discuss the reportage of this case as well as the case itself, as that is interesting in its own right. In the "News and Current Events" section, we are bound to get meta-analysis of the media and how they cover the stories we're discussing. And it's unfair to conflate that with contempt for the victim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
There's a difference between asking what about minorities and saying "what's so special about this white girl". It feels like, and is, a slight whether you guys want to admit it or not and it feels unfair to her directly in this case. Going to just agree to disagree here.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I agree we should be asking the question to the media why this particular case was sensationalized and should be whole other topic. However going back to Gabby, this story should be viewed as a failure at multiple points of the system for her (and all women).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I agree we should be asking the question to the media why this particular case was sensationalized and should be whole other topic. However going back to Gabby, this story should be viewed as a failure at multiple points of the system for her (and all women).
We're also seeing this questioned asked all over my local news and if nothing else this case is helping to put the spotlight on the inequities here.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The same attention isn't given to minorities and men because there is an "ideal victim" archetype and we all recognize it in this country. And that will be my final word on this.

I admit to being in the “why are we focusing on this, just happens to be, attractive white female?” camp in this thread, and acknowledge in a way that could be a backhanded slight aimed at those who do want to continue to talk about this specific case. I believe more than empathy, the interest is the result of fascination, the ultimate taboo, elevated by the subconscious belief that attractive white females are the least deserving of these fates, 2nd only to fetuses (for some).

U

User.45

There's a difference between asking what about minorities and saying "what's so special about this white girl". It feels like, and is, a slight whether you guys want to admit it or not and it feels unfair to her directly in this case. Going to just agree to disagree here.
I respect your opinion, but the answer is simple. She's a young attractive vanfluencer from the ruling caste. She's expected to be happy(er) and more successful than most. There's a certain myst of invincibility that comes with this status and this is why it hits home more for many. The resulting attention excess would not be relevant if it didn't draw with it an excess of resources too.
This. I've been trying very hard to avoid this story. What little I know about it suggests a cascade of intimate partner violence which is actually a very large scale issue affecting 20% of women (and 15% of men).

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
What little I know about it suggests a cascade of intimate partner violence which is actually a very large scale issue affecting 20% of women (and 15% of men).
This right here is why I've been following the story. Whatever color your skin, this needs to be addressed. I'm still upset over the Mojave police handling of the August 12th incident.

Many viable points have been addressed throughout this thread. My hope is somehow the reaction to this story on social media can finally be the catalyst for change so the focus just isn't on white people. But maybe I too need to exit the discussion since I'm obviously in the minority and I'm not here to argue.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I recall Fox News wasn’t too concerned with the police murders in Minneapolis. Of course, they changed their tune when this person was killed by the cops. They made a very big deal of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2