Gabby Petito

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I respect your opinion, but the answer is simple. She's a young attractive vanfluencer from the ruling caste. She's expected to be happy(er) and more successful than most. There's a certain myst of invincibility that comes with this status and this is why it hits home more for many. The resulting attention excess would not be relevant if it didn't draw with it an excess of resources too.

This. I've been trying very hard to avoid this story. What little I know about it suggests a cascade of intimate partner violence which is actually a very large scale issue affecting 20% of women (and 15% of men).
Regardless of her social status, she's also a human being that was murdered through no fault of her own and that's clearly being downplayed in this thread because she's white and comes from money. It's no different than Fox News blasting the unarmed black victim murdered by cops, in either case it's egregious.

U

User.45

that's clearly being downplayed in this thread
I think this is where our disagreement stems.
Nobody at all argues that this is a tragedy and a damn shame and apparent systemic failure.
Nobody suggests she deserved or provoked her own demise.
On the other hand the media response is indeed a quintessential example of MWWS as mentioned by @TBL before.
Context is important and the context is, 1000s of women murdered by intimate partners annually, whose names we don't know and memories we don't hold.

It's no different than Fox News blasting the unarmed black victim murdered by cops, in either case it's egregious.
I don't see the similarity at all. I find the assumption quite offensive actually because Gabby didn't get victimized because she's White and none of us stated that she was. The claim was that her death was sensationalized partly because of this.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think this is where our disagreement stems.
Nobody at all argues that this is a tragedy and a damn shame and apparent systemic failure.
On the other hand the media response is indeed a quintessential example of MWWS as mentioned by @TBL before.
Context is important and the context is, 1000s of women murdered by intimate partners annually, whose names we don't know and memories we don't hold.

I don't see the similarity at all. I find the assumption quite offensive actually because Gabby didn't get victimized because she's White and none of us stated that she was. The claim was that her death was sensationalized partly because of this.

How is this not classifying her?
She's a young attractive vanfluencer from the ruling caste. She's expected to be happy(er) and more successful than most.

And if Fox News says (which we know they do) "The black guy was a thug from the ghetto and expected to be violent" it would also be classifying him. Not meant to be offensive, it's just no different. Both parties are victim shaming.

D

Deleted member 215

But Fox News says that to suggest that the victim was partly to blame for his death. That is not what is being said here. It's not a matter of culpability. It's about what the media sees in certain victims and why it gives their stories more coverage.

A better comparison would be saying that a black man was from a violent neighborhood and a gang member and that's why the media didn't report his death.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This right here is why I've been following the story. Whatever color your skin, this needs to be addressed. I'm still upset over the Mojave police handling of the August 12th incident.

Many viable points have been addressed throughout this thread. My hope is somehow the reaction to this story on social media can finally be the catalyst for change so the focus just isn't on white people. But maybe I too need to exit the discussion since I'm obviously in the minority and I'm not here to argue.

I think it's hard for well intentioned people to come to grips to why they might gravitate to these socially engineered stories and pointing it out might sound like "Hey, did you know you are pretty shallow?" I don't consider myself some super SJW, but pretty much from the start of this coverage I saw the pictures, ignored the details, and thought "Really? We're still doing the attractive white female is only victim we should care about stories?"

As far as "but there are aspects that make this different." So in all those other similar cases you think there was no road trips, no social media presence, no suspect disappearing, and no suspect family covering for them? Really?

U

User.45

How is this not classifying her? And if Fox News says (which we know they do) "The black guy was a thug from the ghetto and expected to be violent" it would also be classifying him. Not meant to be offensive, it's just no different. Both parties are victim shaming.
Bad, bad, bad, bad analogy.

Your Fox analogy implies that the victimization is the result of an "unsavory" characteristic.
What we are saying is that the sensationalization is the result of a perceivably favorable characteristic.

One suggests that the victim deserved what they got, the other suggests that victims of similar crimes deserve similar attention. As I pointed it out, the result is that Gabby's case will get much more manpower than others', like it or not.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Bad, bad, bad, bad analogy.
Yeah but is it bad? Just want to make sure there's no ambiguity here.

Your Fox analogy implies that the victimization is the result of an "unsavory" characteristic.
What we are saying is that the sensationalization is the result of a perceivably favorable characteristic.

One suggests that the victim deserved what they got, the other suggests that victims of similar crimes deserve similar attention. As I pointed it out, the result is that Gabby's case will get much more manpower than others', like it or not.
No, I do not like any victim being disparaged after death.

We're not going to agree here but keep trying to convince me, it's really really really really convincing me that you aren't casting shade on this girl.

U

User.45

Yeah but is it bad? Just want to make sure there's no ambiguity here.
Some constructive sarcasm to save the day.

No, I do not like any victim being disparaged after death.
You certainly are doing everything you can to make it all about your perception of disparagement.

We're not going to agree here but keep trying to convince me, it's really really really really convincing me that you aren't casting shade on this girl.
I'm certainly casting shade on the consumer of such news, and I think that's the real reason you are upset.

...and people cut shocked Picachu faces when disparities of resources and resolutions are converted into numbers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Some constructive sarcasm to save the day.

You certainly are doing everything you can to make it all about your perception of disparagement.

I'm certainly casting shade on the consumer of such news, and I think that's the real reason you are upset.

...and people cut shocked Picachu faces when disparities of resources and resolutions are converted into numbers.

You've categorized this girl in attempt to downplay the importance of her death.
Being a young blond white woman comes with many multipliers when it comes to our next hottest tragedy du jour.
Stuff like this happen to women all the time, so you wonder what is the difference here.
She's a young attractive vanfluencer from the ruling caste. She's expected to be happy(er) and more successful than most

^ What, exactly, did she do to upset you other than getting murdered?

U

User.45

This is going to be the last comment here because I don't appreciate your trying to misrepresent my statements.

You've categorized this girl in attempt to downplay the importance of her death.
Except for her youth (i.e. years of life lost), the above-listed should be neutral characteristics. I consider them such, but you obviously don't.

I've explained the stakes that come with disproportionate media attention: disparities.
I'm sure you can't list even 10 women who disappeared like this the past year. Why? Do they deserve less of your attention?
We all get upset angry and demand change when we are presented with statistics about how much less resources are allocated for the murder/disappearance of people who don't fall into the above supposedly neutral categories. Well, my friend, this is why. It doesn't always take malice. Sometimes it's just affinity bias.

I'm done here.

Peace.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Many viable points have been addressed throughout this thread. My hope is somehow the reaction to this story on social media can finally be the catalyst for change so the focus just isn't on white people. But maybe I too need to exit the discussion since I'm obviously in the minority and I'm not here to argue.
I don’t think you’re in the minority at all.
Regardless of her social status, she's also a human being that was murdered through no fault of her own and that's clearly being downplayed in this thread because she's white and comes from money. It's no different than Fox News blasting the unarmed black victim murdered by cops, in either case it's egregious.
As I said originally, nobody has downplayed the death of Ms. Petito, nor disparaged her after death.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don’t think you’re in the minority at all.

As I said originally, nobody has downplayed the death of Ms. Petito, nor disparaged her after death.
Your opinion.

I think agreeing with the POV that this woman's death is getting attention while others are not, which BTW I've never disagreed with on that merit, makes it easier to pretend that it's not being downplayed and that fingers aren't being pointed at her. IMO it's shameful to make a political point at the expense of this woman.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
This is a story that’s got very little coverage here in the UK but I’ve stumbled across stories through social media. Horrendous for her and her family and strange how a holiday of a lifetime can go so wrong. I hope they catch her bf as he clearly has something to hide judging by his disappearance. Poor girl.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Where the hell is Brian Laundrie? I read this morning the FBI have now taken the lead in the search.
The family clearly lied for him but from the sounds of it there was no obstruction of justice as long as Brian wasn't wanted, now that he is they'll be accountable if they continue, I'm guessing there's more going on behind the scenes than we know right now.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
At least Dog was able to find out and confirm the camping trip the parents and Brian took to Ft. De Soto Park in early September. Now even the Laundrie's attorney is confirming it. They're trying to spin it that all three went in and all three came out of the campground. Whoever Dog spoke to said they only saw 2 came out. 'Course Brian could've been in the truck's camper shell? Or somewhere out of the country by now. 🤷‍♀️

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
At least Dog was able to find out and confirm the camping trip the parents and Brian took to Ft. De Soto Park in early September. Now even the Laundrie's attorney is confirming it. They're trying to spin it that all three went in and all three came out of the campground. Whoever Dog spoke to said they only saw 2 came out. 'Course Brian could've been in the truck's camper shell? Or somewhere out of the country by now. 🤷‍♀️
You have to wonder if he's actually uncovering something the police didn't know, or if it's information they don't want revealed yet. Investigators usually have a strategy of what they will and won't say, they're also being really careful about his only being a "person of interest" and nothing else. Otherwise there's probably a lot of risk in scaring him off, get him in the door and then throw the book at him.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Some feel folks with intel felt more comfortable speaking to Dog than authorities (for various reasons). I could definitely see this being a possibility. I thought I read somewhere the Laundries have ties to their local police dept? I just hope the new info helps them find out more info as to where Brian went.

Top Bottom
1 2