Gabby Petito

ouimetnick

Power User
Reaction score
I've been following this story for a few days now. From the articles I've read, it seems that they argued and even fought, but were still "in love" (doesn't sound like a healthy relationship imo) The fiancé (Brian Laundrie) drove home with out her, and didn't report her missing. He won't cooperate with the police or Gabby's parents. Unless he killed her, I don't see why you wouldn't help find the love of your life...

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
She has (had?) self-professed mental issues of her own, so I was willing to entertain the idea that she got so upset she took her own life, or met with some accident…

But this business of leaving her and then dummying up to the police does not look right.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Looks like her boyfriend has now disappeared too, mostly likely gone into hiding. Guilty af imo.

I know this is blatant MWWS, but the case is interesting.
Yeah, comes back without her, refuses to cooperate with the police and then goes into hiding. At this point all we can really hope is that they find the body. This guy's family is also holding out but they'll eventually cave I think.

ouimetnick

Power User
Reaction score
She has (had?) self-professed mental issues of her own, so I was willing to entertain the idea that she got so upset she took her own life, or met with some accident…

But this business of leaving her and then dummying up to the police does not look right.
My thoughts: If she was suicidal, shame on her fiancé for not stopping her. My close friends and I know about each other’s mental illnesses, and if we were hiking and someone was having a blow out, we’d be keeping a very close eye on that person.

When we do hike, we all help each other. If someone in the hiking group was suffering from physical exhaustion or hurt their leg, etc, and had to go back down, they wouldn’t be going alone (I read recently about some lady that was separated from her husband and died, and also some woman was hiking with a cop boyfriend and mysterious died). We look out for each other, and we keep each other safe. Nothing romantic about it. That’s what I would want someone to do for me and it’s what I would do for my friends. Heck even if we came across some stranger is distress, we’d help them back to the bottom.

Back to the Gabby situation, if I was traveling cross country with someone (I wouldn’t) and they were threatening suicide, I’d try to physically restrain them in the van until I drove to a hospital. Hopefully the autopsy clears up if it was suicide or homicide, but I’m guessing it was the latter.
It wouldn’t surprise me if her fiancé is found dead too.

This story hits me hard because she’s only 3 years younger and I think about my lady friends and how devastated I would be if something like this happened to them. My heart breaks for Gabby’s parents, family and friends.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My thoughts: If she was suicidal, shame on her fiancé for not stopping her.

When we do hike, we all help each other. If someone in the hiking group was suffering from physical exhaustion or hurt their leg, etc, and had to go back down, they wouldn’t be going alone (I read recently about some lady that was separated from her husband and died, and also some woman was hiking with a cop boyfriend and mysterious died). We look out for each other, and we keep each other safe. Nothing romantic about it. That’s what I would want someone to do for me and it’s what I would do for my friends. Heck even if we came across some stranger is distress, we’d help them back to the bottom.

Back to the Gabby situation, if I was traveling cross country with someone (I wouldn’t) and they were threatening suicide, I’d try to physically restrain them in the van until I drove to a hospital. Hopefully the autopsy clears up if it was suicide or homicide, but I’m guessing it was the latter.
It wouldn’t surprise me if her fiancé is found dead too.

This story hits me hard because she’s only 3 years younger and I think about my lady friends and how devastated I would be if something like this happened to them. My heart breaks for Gabby’s parents, family and friends.

It was almost as if he helped her. The van was seen not far from where she was found (it was that pic of the van that helped them find her body in the first place), so he had to be close. So did he help her or did she just wander off and do it.

But I agree, it is looking more like either a tragic accident where she had an issue and ran off and something happened or she had and issue and while trying to restrain her, something happened. Or he just killed her. But in the first two scenarios, why not call the authorities. Makes me think it was more than an accident.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Probably they had to have a body -- "probable cause" for a search warrant. Earlier there was no concrete evidence as to what might have happened to Gabby, even though it was becoming increasingly likely that she was no longer alive and that she had not just gone off somewhere on her own and was doing her own thing without contacting her family or anyone else. Now they have a body, presumably that of one of the two individuals involved in this situation, Gabby, and in addition the other key individual, the Laundrie guy, is also missing.....

From https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/probable_cause

"Application to Search Warrants​

Probable cause exists when there is a fair probability that a search will result in evidence of a crime being discovered.7 For a warrantless search, probable cause can be established by in-court testimony after the search. In the case of a warrant search, however, an affidavit or recorded testimony must support the warrant by indicating on what basis probable cause exists.8

A judge may issue a search warrant if the affidavit in support of the warrant offers sufficient credible information to establish probable cause.9 There is a presumption that police officers are reliable sources of information, and affidavits in support of a warrant will often include their observations.10When this is the case, the officers’ experience and training become relevant factors in assessing the existence of probable cause.11 Information from victims or witnesses, if included in an affidavit, may be important factors as well.12"

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
This entire ordeal is so disturbing. I also watched part of the bodycam footage being shared on youtube. Why won't Brian come forward? Why wouldn't his family reply to the pleas of Gabby's family for help? Some wonder if Brian has taken his own life. I honestly don't know what to think. Gabby obviously had anxiety issues but it's so out there that Brian returned to Florida in their transport van and wouldn't talk to authorities.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1439716307268739072/

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
From the little that I have read about this story, I suspect that the "depressed" and "suicide threat", stories, while very possibly genuine, were also advanced as something of an alibi, a carefully constructed alibi, on the part of Brian Laundrie.

I'd be curious to know whether he had a controlling, possessive and abusive (and/or entitled) personality - and would lay odds that this might have been the case.

My first thoughts were that he had killed her - when a woman vanishes mysteriously, or dies violently, the first thing to examine is whatever relationship she may have had with a male nearest-and-dearest, and what the actual state of that relationship was, as opposed to an idealised version designed for public consumption - and was seeking to construct a credible alternative narrative which might offer a plausible explanation for what had happened.

My second thoughts were that this story would have had nothing like the traction it has received, were the victim not both white and well known.

The murders, or violent deaths, of people of colour who are female (most usually at the hands of male partners, or ex-partners) rarely register; nor do the violent deaths of poor white women.

And my third thoughts are a plea that we focus on the victim, on the fact that her life was ended - probably violently and possibly viciously - instead of on the person who murdered her.

Last edited:

ouimetnick

Power User
Reaction score
The more I read into it, I’m inclined to think that he was controlling, manipulative, and gaslit her. Sure she had her issues, but he may have been pushing her buttons. Unfortunately we will never know, but neither will her parents since she moved in with him.

There was a girl from high school (also hard of hearing like me) who physically fought with her boyfriend (they both assaulted each other) but this guy was manipulating her, and gaslighting her. This girl had her own issues, but once they were forced to break up, he went on to do the same thing to other girls. He would always play the victim and managed to stay calm in public while she was blowing up.

I’m pretty sure that Brian killed Gabby. (either accidentally or intentionally) during a fight. If it was a medical issue, there’s no reason to not seek help. Like I said, if I suspected one of my friends was suicidal, I’d either bring them to the hospital or would not let them out of my sight.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The more I read into it, I’m inclined to think that he was controlling, manipulative, and gaslit her. Sure she had her issues, but he may have been pushing her buttons. Unfortunately we will never know, but neither will her parents since she moved in with him.

There was a girl from high school (also hard of hearing like me) who physically fought with her boyfriend (they both assaulted each other) but this guy was manipulating her, and gaslighting her. This girl had her own issues, but once they were forced to break up, he went on to do the same thing to other girls. He would always play the victim and managed to stay calm in public while she was blowing up.

I’m pretty sure that Brian killed Gabby. (either accidentally or intentionally) during a fight. If it was a medical issue, there’s no reason to not seek help. Like I said, if I suspected one of my friends was suicidal, I’d either bring them to the hospital or would not let them out of my sight.
Sounds like he was already abusive. In any case coming back without her, not saying a word and then going on the run doesn't bode well for his case.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1440073487184379904/

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
From what I've seen and read about this entire situation, In no sense of the word is or was Brian Laundrie ever a "gentleman......"

Two troubled young people, each struggling with their own mental health issues, casually going off together in a van for an extended road trip...... It really is not surprising that there is no happy ending to this story.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The more I see of this, the more I wonder why it has become sensationalized. Young men and women go missing every day. Many are murdered by partners. What is it about this case (other than the blonde hair and blue eyes) that has captured such media attention?
I think it’s also getting attention because a lot of people are doing this “van life” thing where they travel the continent, living in their van. I recently discovered that one of my high school friends did this with their spouse for a couple years and had a website, Instagram, etc. all about it.

Top Bottom
1 2