Game of Thrones (2011-2019 HBO)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the greatest fantasy fiction stories ever to impode. Yet the wife and I are watching it again. :)
This show has a lot of nudity and sex. Ok, that is not what makes it great, but I’m sure it helped viewership numbers. :)

Season 1 Summary: Those bastard, backstabbing, might makes right Lannisters, (except for Tyrion) and dragons!

Favorite iconic secondary characters: Bronn, the Onion Knight, Hodor, Gedry (Robert’s bastard whose story just fizzles), the Red Witch, Varys, Shane more to be mentioned. :)

Regarding the Series Final: after I watched the the series final (originally televised) I remember pondering if if this ending was GRRM’s or HBO’s producers idea of a good ending?

This remains the best ending I have heard described. It is brilliant, 285k likes on YouTube.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
We got an ending, that’s something to be thankful for as I don’t see GRRM finishing the book series before the heat death of the universe (winter is coming!). The ending we got is perfectly in line with the Azor Ahai prophecy. I’m content with that.

As I see it most of the hate GoT gets is unwarranted, just like with the Star Wars prequels back when they were new and now again with the sequels. It is like people jump on the hate bandwagon just to be hip. Or they have gotten so invested in their own theories and expectations that they can’t accept anything else. Sad.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Loved the show dearly. The ending was a downer, but not nearly a deal-breaker for me.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We got an ending, that’s something to be thankful for as I don’t see GRRM finishing the book series before the heat death of the universe (winter is coming!). The ending we got is perfectly in line with the Azor Ahai prophecy. I’m content with that.

As I see it most of the hate GoT gets is unwarranted, just like with the Star Wars prequels back when they were new and now again with the sequels. It is like people jump on the hate bandwagon just to be hip. Or they have gotten so invested in their own theories and expectations that they can’t accept anything else. Sad.
For being one of the best series ever created, there are two insurmountable issues with this show, the short changing of the story as presented in the book and GRRM‘s inability to finish his story. We just finished the first season and it felt fairly comfortable as far as following the book and not leaving stuff out even though tons were left out.

What I noticed the first time though was the later seasons approximated story outlines with huge amounts of omission. I realize there are business calculations involved, but they would have been much better served to make each book two seasons even 3.

The short changing really hit home with 5 minute battles, and the worst was regarding Daenerys Targaryen’s rapid change of personality which was shocking. I don’t begrudge the author his choices and have to believe what we saw at the end was in the author’s story outline, but if there had been a book, there would have been time to develop this manifestation properly.

But in the show it was a shock, a short changing of the story to facilitate ending it. And as is, all that devotion wasted! ;) I MUCH prefer the How It Should of Ended Video on all counts, completely coherent and satisfying, actually amazing as compared to the sad ending we actually got. All that devotion wasted... :cry:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
For being one of the best series ever created, there are two insurmountable issues with this show, the short changing of the story as presented in the book and GRRM‘s inability to finish his story. We just finished the first season and it felt fairly comfortable as far as following the book and not leaving stuff out even though tons were left out.

What I noticed the first time though was the later seasons approximated story outlines with huge amounts of omission. I realize there are business calculations involved, but they would have been much better served to make each book two seasons even 3.

The short changing really hit home with 5 minute battles, and the worst was regarding Daenerys Targaryen’s rapid change of personality which was shocking. I don’t begrudge the author his choices and have to believe what we saw at the end was in the author’s story outline, but if there had been a book, there would have been time to develop this manifestation properly.

But in the show it was a shock, a short changing of the story to facilitate ending it. And as is, all that devotion wasted! ;) I MUCH prefer the How It Should of Ended Video on all counts, completely coherent and satisfying, actually amazing as compared to the sad ending we actually got. All that devotion wasted... :cry:
Nothing rapid about Dany transitioning into a mad queen in the show.

It’s like fans were infatuated with Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains and refused to see the many red flags piling up.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nothing rapid about Dany transitioning into a mad queen in the show.

It’s like fans were infatuated with Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains and refused to see the many red flags piling up.
Burn it all! Daenerys just magically became her father after watching 7 seasons of of a very consistent personality. :D

On other point, the TV series was skewed by the producers because after Cersei did her naked walk of shame in the book, she was done, yet in the series, there she was in Kings Landing in the center of it all. :unsure:

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
S2E4- While abusing Sansa, I love how Joffrey trembles at the sight of Tyrion and how he is cowed by him although he is ”King”.
S2E6- Charles Dance is stellar as Tywin Lannister.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Burn it all! Daenerys just magically became her father after watching 7 seasons of of a very consistent personality. :D
We are talking about the same woman, right? The one who burned the witch alive way back in season one and threatened to burn Qarth in season two? The one who watched her brother getting executed in season one without flinching? She had it in her the whole time. And I am sure you remember how she got her unsullied in season three. That was some Walder Frey-level shit, seriously… Plus burning someone alive, of course.

Her default state of mind throughout the entire series was to have anyone she perceived wronging her executed (preferably by burning them alive). I’m sure she starts out with the best of intentions, "The blood of my enemies. Not the blood of innocents.", but the definition of enemies widens easily. Slippery slope. She gets addicted to having people worship her. The adventures in Essos are overall immensely rewarding in that aspect. Mhysa! The unburnt khaleesi! The people of Westeros simply won’t love her the same way.

And that’s not even mentioning season six where she realized that she, for the sake of power, was able to easily dismiss someone who loves her unconditionally. Everything is all about her and her destiny.

Try rewatching the show with open eyes instead of staring at her good heart.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We are talking about the same woman, right? The one who burned the witch alive way back in season one and threatened to burn Qarth in season two? The one who watched her brother getting executed in season one without flinching? She had it in her the whole time. And I am sure you remember how she got her unsullied in season three. That was some Walder Frey-level shit, seriously… Plus burning someone alive, of course.

Her default state of mind throughout the entire series was to have anyone she perceived wronging her executed (preferably by burning them alive). I’m sure she starts out with the best of intentions, "The blood of my enemies. Not the blood of innocents.", but the definition of enemies widens easily. Slippery slope. She gets addicted to having people worship her. The adventures in Essos are overall immensely rewarding in that aspect. Mhysa! The unburnt khaleesi! The people of Westeros simply won’t love her the same way.

And that’s not even mentioning season six where she realized that she, for the sake of power, was able to easily dismiss someone who loves her unconditionally. Everything is all about her and her destiny.

Try rewatching the show with open eyes instead of staring at her good heart.
Are you kidding? The witch deserved it, more than deserved it. Her brother abused her and sold her to advance himself, I'd hate him too. Qarth, they were starving about to die. You say what you have to, and maybe she meant it. Other than that objection noted. :)

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Are you kidding? The witch deserved it, more than deserved it. Her brother abused her and sold her to advance himself, I'd hate him too. Qarth, they were starving about to die. You say what you have to, and maybe she meant it. Other than that objection noted. :)
Not kidding. I’m sure everyone she burned deserved it from her point of view. Even if smitten viewers agreed with her early on it still showed us what she was all about. As for the crowned brother, I’d say her total lack of emotion was a huge red flag that many viewers ignored just because they hated the dude. Make all the excuses you want regarding threatening to burn Qarth. She threatened to burn a city to the ground. Later she did burn a city to the ground. Shouldn‘t have surprised anyone.

It would be interesting to know if the madness was genetic and predetermined, or if it could have been avoided had she been raised as, say, Jonna Snow in Winterfell by a honest and caring father figure and decent siblings. Like a “What If…?” :mrgreen:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not kidding. I’m sure everyone she burned deserved it from her point of view. Even if smitten viewers agreed with her early on it still showed us what she was all about. As for the crowned brother, I’d say her total lack of emotion was a huge red flag that many viewers ignored just because they hated the dude. Make all the excuses you want regarding threatening to burn Qarth. She threatened to burn a city to the ground. Later she did burn a city to the ground. Shouldn‘t have surprised anyone.

It would be interesting to know if the madness was genetic and predetermined, or if it could have been avoided had she been raised as, say, Jonna Snow in Winterfell by a honest and caring father figure and decent siblings. Like a “What If…?” :mrgreen:
Please, you definition of madness is rather loose. ;)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
GOTs biggest sin was the Ed Sheeran cameo. Took me right out of the narrative. Save that shit for Will & Grace.

U

User.45

The execution (pun intended) was still super lazy and dumb because they could have saved the Denny going mad line by just switchig the sequence of how Kings Landing is destroyed. If someone is insanely mad they'll either go straight to destroy the object of their rage, or do a power play to torture the person by destroying what they care about. Both the audience and Denny knew how little Cersei cared about the gen pop of KL, she perhaps would have even found some joy in watching them burn. In contrast, if Denny started with the Red Keep and then suddenly started destroying the rest of the city the audience would have had this sense of climax by the obliteration of Cersei followed by the shock of genocide and the subsequent events and ambiguity would have made a lot more sense too.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
or do a power play to torture the person by destroying what they care about. Both the audience and Denny knew how little Cersei cared about the gen pop of KL, she perhaps would have even found some joy in watching them burn.

Was there anything left Cersei did care about other than her brother? Her kids and dad were dead, she knew she was going to lose power. All she had left was Jamie.

And I did find the scene of their demise a bit underwhelming.

Top Bottom
1 2