Garden and Yard Talk

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure. I'll have to ask next time I see them, but I think it's hard to say with living in CA and climate change. There's not really any predictable weather patterns. About the only thing we can rely on is a good percentage of the state is going to burn to the ground annually.
Wildflowers are known to be tough resilient plants, so maybe. :)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
BC670FC5-484F-468E-95B2-EA663BC75AD8.jpeg

01233D60-0BF9-4457-A3BC-04428AE19711.jpeg

86F97FEE-ABDE-45A6-844A-24F7CCEA01F7.jpeg

Made this birdhouse for a Mothers Day present. Although not intended, it does remind me a bit of the cabin in Evil Dead, but you go where the creativity takes you.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Made a volcanic island barrel pond. Fog atomizer can be turned on and off by remote or set by a timer.

You made this? Looks cool. How much water is in there and do you care if and when it gets slimy? We have a small fountain with a fish shooting a stream of water out its mouth and usually I add some bleach periodically to keep the algae out.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You made this? Looks cool. How much water is in there and do you care if and when it gets slimy? We have a small fountain with a fish shooting a stream of water out its mouth and usually I add some bleach periodically to keep the algae out.

The rock part is actually a tabletop fountain I got from my aunt who passed away. I submerged it in a plastic faux barrel container on top of some bricks. I estimate there's probably about 25-30 gallons of water after the displacement. The plants should help with the water quality using the nitrogen that algea would require and I plan to put in gold fish or minos at somepoint which will also help with algae and bugs. The fountain stays on 24/7 to keep circulation. I didn't like the faux barrel look so I had some thinly planed wood left over from another project I cut to size and on the back put 2 strips of 4" outdoor grip tape to hold it all together and it just wraps around the container with some slight overlap in the back.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
After spending way too much time researching trellises for cucumbers (or a lot of other things) we had some extra 4" X 4" X 6' posts at my work that ultimately inspired me and got me off my ass and I build it.

IMG_6007.jpeg

IMG_6008.jpeg

IMG_6009.jpeg

You can get 2 trellises out of the same size post or 2 with a 2 X 4 and it's fairly easy to make (if you have a table saw). It can spread much wider. I was just limited by the size of the grow bag. When not in use it collapses to the size of a 2 X 4 for easy storage.

First tipe is remember you aren't making kitchen cabinets. You don't need to be ultra precision.

If using a 4 X 4 cut it in half lengthwise. If you are using a 2 X 4 that part is already done. Then cut those pieces in 3rds lengthwise.

Get a 5" eye bolt with a nut for the top. Drill a hole centered about 1.5 - 2" from the top that, that bolt will go through. From those top holes drill center holes every 8 inches down to the bottom. These holes will be for stringing twine or string through. So make the holes big enough for that. Twine and string easily gets snagged on rough wood. So don't try to make it a super tight fit. I made my holes 1/2" that can easily fit different thicknesses. I think twine looks nicer/more natural but found out after the fact it's better to use gardening string because it can hold more weight, growth with fruit can get heavy. To make sure the holes were roughly aligned on all the pieces I clamped 2 pieces together, or you can do all 3 if you have a long enough drill bit. So just drill 2 or 3 at a time. If doing 2 at a time for the third post just clamp one of the already drilled posts and use those holes as a guide.

For the top bolt between each piece of wood put a rubber washer, then s hook, then another rubber washer. The rubber washers create a wider fold out range compared to if the wood was right against each other. The s hooks are for running twine/string down the center which will be the main support the vines will grow up.

Tie a center line to each s hook at the top and to anchor them at the bottom wrap or tie the ends to garden staples typically used to hold down anti-weed fabric and shove those in the dirt at an angle around the stem of the plant(s). Once the plant starts vining up the lines gravity will hold them it place. For the outside supports weave twine/string through the holes on the post at each level. You could probably run a separate line through each level but I just ran one continuous line from top to bottom, tied the bottom at the first hole and then the top to the eye bolt.

The End.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Nighttime volcanic pond. Not a big fan of the rotating colors but for the purposes of sharing shows the possibilities. Battery Submersible lights working of the same control. Made in China. Whatever.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A Little Toad Story
The other night before today’s current heat wave (92F) which is hot for May around here, we were sitting outside by the pool near Sundown and a loud chorus of critters chirping started, long 2-4 second chirps almost like purring. I thought it was the local lizards, but it turned out to be the toads. They were calling to each other, come here, I have a task for you! Responded by: I’m here and on my way! ;)

So out pops from the foliage near the house, what I would describe as a very small toad, 1.5” or so.
This maybe a Houston toad or a Spring Peeper, something like this in appearance:

4820DF6A-EEA2-4181-9981-81C45F1FA057.jpeg

It was so small that I assumed it was a juvenile at first, but maybe not if it is participating in serenading. It hops by our chair and sits on the pool scape, producing long chirps that are being answered from over by our weeping cedar. Then it hops over to the pool edge, a straight line is to go through the pool. To go around the pool would be the wise toad, because I have found small toads/frogs in the scuppers some alive, some dead.

The way the pool is designed there is an overhang around the entire pool and although toads/ frogs can hang on the walls, they can‘t navigate this overhang. Basically they get stuck in the pool.

So it is Twilight, we can see the form of this toad, by the pool edge chirping away, and we both say urgently “don’t Do It!!” followed by plop, into the pool it goes. I got the net on a long pole to try to fish it out, but it was dark, even with the pool lights turned on, and too fast, swimming away like a sub, so I could not scoop it out. “Oh well” I said.

The next day I went looking for the toad, checked the scuppers, did not see it. Then the day after that, I went out to clean the pool, got in the water, where I brush away any algae forming on the sides of the pool. Busily brushing the sides of the pool, I look up and on the floating hose of the automated pool cleaner there is this a glum looking toad. Ok, I’m going to assume this is the same toad from 2 days before because I found no carcass. (Or maybe the other toad did escape and this is a new toad? Anyway, I’ll proceed with my story.)

I grabbed my hand net normally used to scoop floating debris out of the pool and placed that under the toad who did not look like he was in any hurry to get away. since these seem to ne nocturnal, it means he would have been sitting in the Sun for a good portion of the day and not too happy.

As he started to move, my fear was if he hopped into the water I’d never catch him, but I think he was dragging because it was easy to grab him with my free hand as he moved onto the net. He was small enough that I could close my hand around him and I apologize for not taking a moment to get a picture of him. I took him over near the weeping cedar which I think was his original goal, bent over, opened my hand and he just sat there as in I’m free? He did not even pee in my hand (probably dehydrated).

Yes, you are free, I said and with some encouragement he hopped off and headed for the weeds, no, no weeds here, just plants. ;) Maybe the dangers of the cement pond as they called it in The Beverly Hillbilly’s has made an impression in this toad’s memory circuits.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Our planting-out season is finally underway around here, or just about the case. I'm just going to have a few patio tomatoes on the deck, but outside will go for a few squares of bush beans if I can keep them from being washed away one more time... and some broccoli, which is better at that sort of joke. Meanwhile the weeds are trying to take over the place even as the threat of a late frost passes.

I'm trying to squint and view some of those weeds as "ornamental grasses" :rolleyes:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Our planting-out season is finally underway around here, or just about the case. I'm just going to have a few patio tomatoes on the deck, but outside will go for a few squares of bush beans if I can keep them from being washed away one more time... and some broccoli, which is better at that sort of joke. Meanwhile the weeds are trying to take over the place even as the threat of a late frost passes.

I'm trying to squint and view some of those weeds as "ornamental grasses" :rolleyes:

I started making and using homemade weed killer

1 gallon - vinegar
1 cup - salt
1 tablespoon - liquid dishwashing soap

Put the mixture in a spray bottle and just squirt away. It works great on smaller weeds, but not so much on hardier ones like dandelions. But mostly I'm talking about already grown weeds. Once pulled I spray the areas about once a week and they haven't grown back. Just be aware that it will probably kill any plant in the same soil, but that's probably preferrable to getting cancer from some commercial weed killers.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

1 gallon - vinegar
1 cup - salt

Put the mixture in a spray bottle and just squirt away. It works great on smaller weeds, but not so much on hardier ones like dandelions. But mostly I'm talking about already grown weeds. Once pulled I spray the areas about once a week and they haven't grown back. Just be aware that it will probably kill any plant in the same soil, but that's probably preferrable to getting cancer from some commercial weed killers.
I hate using roundup, but our property borders one lot that is vacant and overgrown and another where the elderly lady who owned it just passed away, and she didn't do a ton of upkeep either. The old lady side isn't horrible, but the vacant lot property was bad before the house was torn down from the previous owner, who apparently loved that "wild" look. I have so many weeds and vines and invasives that grow under and through the fence that I finally have resorted to using roundup somewhat regularly. :( I am trying to eradicate chameleon plant, which apparently is like the cockroach of plants and just keeps sprouting up in new places. But I think the roundup is actually starting to make a small dent in it. At this point I don't even care if I kill some of my good plants, I'll just get new good plants next year if I can get rid of all the chameleon plant.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hate using roundup, but our property borders one lot that is vacant and overgrown and another where the elderly lady who owned it just passed away, and she didn't do a ton of upkeep either. The old lady side isn't horrible, but the vacant lot property was bad before the house was torn down from the previous owner, who apparently loved that "wild" look. I have so many weeds and vines and invasives that grow under and through the fence that I finally have resorted to using roundup somewhat regularly. :( I am trying to eradicate chameleon plant, which apparently is like the cockroach of plants and just keeps sprouting up in new places. But I think the roundup is actually starting to make a small dent in it. At this point I don't even care if I kill some of my good plants, I'll just get new good plants next year if I can get rid of all the chameleon plant.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It probably also depends on how the climate is where you are at. Here in the Bay Area CA it's not exactly severe drought central, but we certainly haven't gotten enough rain which isn't good for plants....or weeds.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It probably also depends on how the climate is where you are at. Here in the Bay Area CA it's not exactly severe drought central, but we certainly haven't gotten enough rain which isn't good for plants....or weeds.
based on the number of mosquito bites I currently have, lack of moisture is not an issue here (I live in Northern Virginia, just outside DC).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

1 gallon - vinegar
1 cup - salt

Mostly I pull weeds, but sometimes, weed killer, and sometimes roundup. Some weeds you pull and they regrow from the roots. Don‘t ask which ones… :unsure:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

1 gallon - vinegar
1 cup - salt

That's a good combo for persistent stuff especially as extra deterrent for stuff like bishopweed that like to put out runners that will sneak out for yards from wherever one might see their above-ground growth.

And yeah I don't use any weed killers past something like that, except elbow grease and some common gardening hand tools. How else would I end up with dandelion greens safe enough to put in a salad or to steam and have with eggs?!

Hand prep in the fall and then an overlay of landscaping cloth and cardboard keeps the overwintering stuff from getting a head start on me, usually. This year there was so much rain and cold every few days that even the weeds were somewhat deterred except in the pathways between garden squares and those scuff out if I get out there every day. Everyone's plantings are late and a lot of beans have been replanted a few times thanks to washouts. But now that warmer weather has arrived, any place that's been prepared for planting but not yet occupied and kept weeded is a magnet for weed seedlings, that's for sure.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a good combo for persistent stuff especially as extra deterrent for stuff like bishopweed that like to put out runners that will sneak out for yards from wherever one might see their above-ground growth.

And yeah I don't use any weed killers past something like that, except elbow grease and some common gardening hand tools. How else would I end up with dandelion greens safe enough to put in a salad or to steam and have with eggs?!

Hand prep in the fall and then an overlay of landscaping cloth and cardboard keeps the overwintering stuff from getting a head start on me, usually. This year there was so much rain and cold every few days that even the weeds were somewhat deterred except in the pathways between garden squares and those scuff out if I get out there every day. Everyone's plantings are late and a lot of beans have been replanted a few times thanks to washouts. But now that warmer weather has arrived, any place that's been prepared for planting but not yet occupied and kept weeded is a magnet for weed seedlings, that's for sure.

When we were looking at the house we are renting now the yard was pretty much weed free. Probably the result of seasonal luck, because within a month of moving in there were weeds all over the place. They put down weed barrier cloth but it was the really cheap stuff. Weirdly they had almost a full roll of the quality stuff sitting on the side of the house. So I ended up ripping out and replacing everything they did and installing even more than they originally did. It was a satisfying project and end result, especially considering for a couple months before I did the replacement I would hit the areas with the weed whacker only to have it become overgrown again in less that a couple weeks. Now my biggest maintenance project is picking fallen rose pedals out of the mulch. I can’t think of a more efficient method than picking them out by hand one at a time.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This grew through the weed barrier cloth.* I'd be fine if nothing but lilies grew as weeds.

IMG_6274.jpeg

*I actually cut a slit in the weed barrier to plant something a couple months ago. It didn't do well so I dug it out but didn't cover the slit. I clearly didn't do a good job of completely removing the lilies which at the time looked severely dead.

Top Bottom
1 2