Gavin Newsom is the Democrat we need

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I ain't mad at this suggestion. I'm much more focused on the current midterms and how Dems can keep the House and improve their numbers in the Senate. If Newsom and his ways can assist, I'm all for it. He's well established and may not ultimately be a player for 2024. But we need someone that is a fighter and can cause conniptions on the other side. In fact, we need several.

I'd like to see Fetterman as a thorn in the Senate (especially as a key pickup). I would haved loved to seen Beto finally cash in on all the good will (not to mention the $$$ he's raked in all these years) in Texas as their junior senator. Sadly, I don't think he makes it over the finish line as Governor. But I hope he makes Gov. Turd in Texas sweat it out till Election Day. Even Ryan in Ohio as a pickup would be welcome. Despite his moderate/questionable messaging.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Three thoughts.

First, from a quick reading it doesn't look like the bill outlaws any of these guns already in the state. It may be in there, but it looks like sales, imports and manufacturing are the only thing it addresses. It does say "transport" but always with the clause "into the state." So I don't think that means transporting around the state.

Second, what do you think the outcome of the Texas law which will be heard by SCOTUS at some point is going to be. This law has a trigger to render it null & void if the TX law is overturned.

Third, what is the fascination with banning Grenade Launchers? Is there a problem with these that I am unaware of?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I do support the spirit of this law, especially in using the Texas abortion law as a reference and precedent, I'd say this one is a tad more dangerous. Not in a 2nd amendment violation type way, but in that you are messing with somebody involved in illegal firearms. I don't think a lot of people 3D printing guns are doing it as a goof. I predict these lawsuits are going to heavily filed by drug addicts who aren't quite thinking straight.

D

Deleted member 215

I mean, he does make me say “oh snap” a lot, which is pretty much the appeal of people like Trump and DeSantis. Sick of all the “we go high” bullshit. The Democrats need to act more like Republicans, and Newsom seems to be the only one willing to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Democrats need to act more like Republicans
Dear God I hope not.

PS - I didn’t mean to be dismissive of your post. I think there could be good aspects to what Newsom is doing. But I don’t view Newsom’s actions as similar to Republican actions. One can be aggressive and fire up the base without resorting to lies, fear-mongering, and dog whistles as the GOP does. Democrats should not act like Republicans, but they should parry their blows and fight back more aggressively.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I mean, he does make me say “oh snap” a lot, which is pretty much the appeal of people like Trump and DeSantis. Sick of all the “we go high” bullshit. The Democrats need to act more like Republicans, and Newsom seems to be the only one willing to do so.
I couldn't agree more.

Dear God I hope not.

PS - I didn’t mean to be dismissive of your post. I think there could be good aspects to what Newsom is doing. But I don’t view Newsom’s actions as similar to Republican actions. One can be aggressive and fire up the base without resorting to lies, fear-mongering, and dog whistles as the GOP does. Democrats should not act like Republicans, but they should parry their blows and fight back more aggressively.
Whether we like whatever issue they're pushing across the line or not, Republicans do whatever it takes as to where Democrats wimp out and crawl into a corner. I know they want to do the right thing but when you want something done you have to fight for it, and you want a person you believe will do it for you.

Obama had that, a fighting spirit, and passed the ACA and did a lot of good with it despite losing both houses in his second term. This is what it takes and Newsome has that ability, it's more than just "oh snap" moments, running ads in Texas and Fla sticking it to nutjob Republicans, he's also actually passing real legislation.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more.

Whether we like whatever issue they're pushing across the line or not, Republicans do whatever it takes as to where Democrats wimp out and crawl into a corner. I know they want to do the right thing but when you want something done you have to fight for it, and you want a person you believe will do it for you.

Obama had that, a fighting spirit, and passed the ACA and did a lot of good with it despite losing both houses in his second term. This is what it takes and Newsome has that ability, it's more than just "oh snap" moments, running ads in Texas and Fla sticking it to nutjob Republicans, he's also actually passing real legislation.
Yes, Democrats should look to Obama, Newsom, AOC, and other fighters, NOT to Republicans.

Running on a platform of racism and xenophobia while passing laws to prevent minorities from voting is not a sustainable strategy. THAT is the GOP playbook. I absolutely reject the Democrats doing anything similar. It is a scorched-earth strategy that alienates a large swath of American voters, likely for life. As the population becomes more diverse, pandering to white supremacists will be less and less effective. And it will take a long time for people to forget being disenfranchised and mistreated by the GOP. My guess is that when Texas finally goes “blue” it will not go back ”red” for a very long time.

And finally, VOTERS need to look in the mirror. Why do most Democrats stay home on Election Day? It takes somebody as evil as Trump to get them out in force. Get off your asses and vote, or you have no leg to stand on when you bitch about not getting what you want. A 50/50 Senate ain’t gonna get you anything, so vote in more Democrats.

Old white Republicans are gonna vote every time no matter what. Time to stop blaming the politicians for not being tough enough, and get out there and do something about it. 2020 showed that turnout matters, and even then, old people vastly outnumbered the young. Flip that, and the GOP would be toast.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
And finally, VOTERS need to look in the mirror. Why do most Democrats stay home on Election Day? It takes somebody as evil as Trump to get them out in force. Get off your asses and vote, or you have no leg to stand on when you bitch about not getting what you want. A 50/50 Senate ain’t gonna get you anything, so vote in more Democrats.
(y)

Top Bottom
1 2