Given what transpired today…

U

User.191

…I wonder if we should just treat this as a sign that we need to focus more on other things outside of MR. We’ve got a good bunch of folks here now who were all brought together from MR, but is now a time to move on from that and focus on more positive things?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
…I wonder if we should just treat this as a sign that we need to focus more on other things outside of MR. We’ve got a good bunch of folks here now who were all brought together from MR, but is now a time to move on from that and focus on more positive things?

Agreed.

And well said.

While there is much to comment on re MR (and that, I expect, may well continue, as the ripples from today's events are felt), there is more to life, and more to life on this forum (one hopes) than obsessing over MR's (many) failings, and some of its positive features.

Moreover, we might do well to bear in mind that we can still continue to discuss politics here, hopefully, in a sane, thoughtful, and civilised manner.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A positive note... I started this year vowing to spend a lot less time on Macrumors and Youtube. With that time I've read 25 books so far. (normally I'm lucky if I read 12-15 books a year). I manage people for my job so ... sometimes I prefer solitude after hours. lol.
Nice, do you think COVID had anything to do with it as well? I know I got a couple more photography books than normal as well, it's really liberating sometimes to just put down all the electronic devices and dive into a good book in a nice and quiet setting.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice, do you think COVID had anything to do with it as well? I know I got a couple more photography books than normal as well, it's really liberating sometimes to just put down all the electronic devices and dive into a good book in a nice and quiet setting.
Oh definitely. We're still remote - I'm not spending 3.5 hours a day driving. That is probably the biggest reason. But I found quickly, last year, when we started remote working, that I filled that time with macrumors and YouTube. So cutting that out helped, but yes, Covid was definitely the biggest cause of that.

AGREED. I am really enjoying this.

@TheTrillionaire MissNomer - Hope you find something better to replace it. Life's too short to not! :p

U

User.191

I’d love to do more reading and not use any devices but right now I’m on a Quantum Computing kick which requires me to use my MacBook to play around with one of the Quantum Python frameworks.

Eventually I’d like to get back to some fuction books - but that ain’t happening any time soon…

U

User 189

This place is a positive alternative to MacRumors. Or so it was...

I agree. We should really focus less on MacRumors. Maybe abolishing the discussion of MacRumors and the private/public MacRumors categories would be for the better?

I want to talk about fun stuff here, not constantly complain about something that's out of our control and ultimately not an issue.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A positive note... I started this year vowing to spend a lot less time on Macrumors and Youtube. With that time I've read 25 books so far. (normally I'm lucky if I read 12-15 books a year). I manage people for my job so ... sometimes I prefer solitude after hours. lol.

Ah, yes, Covid.

But, not only on account of Covid.

And another (passionate) reader here, too.

On the bi-annual post statistics report (on MR), which was posted this evening, my reduced rate of posting has been noticed and remarked upon.

It is not all due to this site (although, needless to say, some of it is), but also, is due to the fact that some days, I simply love to lose myself in a good book, or some nice Baroque music.

U

User.191

This place is a positive alternative to MacRumors. Or so it was...

I agree. We should really focus less on MacRumors. Maybe abolishing the discussion of MacRumors and the private/public MacRumors categories would be for the better?

I want to talk about fun stuff here, not constantly complain about something that's out of our control and ultimately not an issue.
I do not neccessarily feel that’s a bad idea.

Perhaps it’s time to, dare I say it, “grow up”?

U

User.191

@Eric, @Alli, and @Scepticalscribe have done an excellent job of creating a better place and its probably time we start using it as such. I’ve zero regrets joining MR - partially because I’ve virtually met many other folk - a good number of whom are now here.

Even thought there’s been some obvious disagreement between some of us in various threads, the lack of moderation here has, I feel, ensured we get past squabbles very quickly.

I, for one, am fascinated to see where we go from here and I’m looking forward to this trip with y’all.

BTW - Drink’s are on @Eric…

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
@Eric, @Alli, and @Scepticalscribe have done an excellent job of creating a better place and its probably time we start using it as such. I’ve zero regrets joining MR - partially because I’ve virtually met many other folk - a good number of whom are now here.

Even thought there’s been some obvious disagreement between some of us in various threads, the lack of moderation here has, I feel, ensured we get past squabbles very quickly.

I, for one, am fascinated to see where we go fom here and I’m looking forward to this trip with y’all.

Thank you for your kind words, but don't forget @Thomas Veil, a voice of sanity and measured reason behind the stage curtains.

U

User 189

I, for one, am fascinated to see where we go from here and I’m looking forward to this trip with y’all.

Cheers! :giggle:🍻
tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 199

I do not neccessarily feel that’s a bad idea.

Perhaps it’s time to, dare I say it, “grow up”?

I’d prefer growing sideways. Growing up implies becoming more serious and mucking around less.
If anything this place allows that much better than the other place ever could have. Being a bit silly and having actual enjoyable conversations here is just a natural conclusion to the ability to talk freely;

as opposed to the other place where having a decent conversation without having to be wary of the slightest “infraction” is like trying to have a quiet fuck with a chook.

D

Deleted member 199

If it wasn’t clear I just meant doing our own thing, but without the mental baggage of “this is a grown up place now”

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d prefer growing sideways. Growing up implies becoming more serious and mucking around less.
If anything this place allows that much better than the other place ever could have. Being a bit silly and having actual enjoyable conversations here is just a natural conclusion to the ability to talk freely;

as opposed to the other place where having a decent conversation without having to be wary of the slightest “infraction” is like trying to have a quiet fuck with a chook.
I must say there’s a number of you here that bring the humor like no other.

U

User.191

If it wasn’t clear I just meant doing our own thing, but without the mental baggage of “this is a grown up place now”
Grown up means we can drink booze and watch dirty videos and…oh yeah, all the stuff we did as kids.

But hey, mum and dad won’t yell at us now!

Top Bottom
1 2