MacRumors Good experiences at MR

Anything about MacRumors

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
We do our share of complaining here so I thought I would start something up where we can discuss what we actually like(d) about them. Many of us have spent a lot of years there participating and some still do. For me it's the photography forum, tons of great content and I've made most of the friends we see here today on that site so there's that.

I'm just not as into the Apple news the way I once was but it's still probably the best source you'll find on the internet.

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Agreed, the photography forum over there has been very nice. I would participate more in the one we got here if my gear weren‘t out of commission due to water damage from my most recent adventures in South Africa.

Also pretty useful to check the rumors and check for common flaws with new products in the appropriate sub-forums. Granted, the latter nowadays tend to be flooded with complaints about ridiculous minor imperfections, but it is still useful.

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Agreed, the photography forum over there has been very nice. I would participate more in the one we got here if my gear weren‘t out of commission due to water damage from my most recent adventures in South Africa.

Also pretty useful to check the rumors and check for common flaws with new products in the appropriate sub-forums. Granted, the latter nowadays tend to be flooded with complaints about ridiculous minor imperfections, but it is still useful.
One thing it would be nice to see is a sticky with the latest info in their respective forums. For example, I'll go into the iPhone or iOS forum to see what the latest news is and there just isn't any. I get that's probably posted in news somewhere but on a site that big it should be front and center. I typically just have to go back to Google and search it out.

tranceking26

Power User
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I like the thread about "every watch band" mainly because of that app they use, but it's also nice to see the bands in use by others.

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
One thing it would be nice to see is a sticky with the latest info in their respective forums. For example, I'll go into the iPhone or iOS forum to see what the latest news is and there just isn't any. I get that's probably posted in news somewhere but on a site that big it should be front and center. I typically just have to go back to Google and search it out.
That would be awesome! There is so much information out there, and so much happening all the time. Very hard to stay updated.

Speaking of that, their Buyer’s Guide is something I remember using back in the days too.

Scepticalscribe

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The photography forum is a lovely spot, welcoming and interesting.

The books, music and coffee threads in the community section are also very pleasant places to pass some time.

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
The photography forum is a lovely spot, welcoming and interesting.

The books, music and coffee threads in the community section are also very pleasant places to pass some time.
I swear I've never seen such long running threads as in the Community Discussion forum, some still get daily activity years after being posted.

Hrafn

Vaccinated
Reaction score
I kept searching for solutions to issues I had with my Apple equipment, and kept finding the answers I wanted there. I wound up just going there first anyway, and stuck around for the comradery.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Somebody was giving away a free 2006 Mac Pro on craigslist 3 years ago... no hard drive at all. So I wanted to get it up and running, and the forums there had information on all of it, including how to update it past its officially supported OS versions all the way to 10.11.6. Everybody was very helpful.

Most people on MR are quite nice. To me, it is the moderation that is the problem, not the community as a whole.

Scepticalscribe

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
And - in addition to the books, coffee and music threads - I admit that I am also rather partial to the "wine & beer" thread in the community section of MR.

tranceking26

Power User
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The thread talking about google and the tracking was pretty good, what I took from that was DuckDuckGo, which I now use and really like.

bunnspecial

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got my start on MR in 2014 in the PowerPC forum. It was a fun time of just making things work and also building a collection. It's a very different atmosphere now, but I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.

The Car Thread in Community Discussions started great and I've had a lot of fun there. Unfortunately it has also been taken over by one loudmouth, but there's still a lot of good discussion in it.

There have been several other long running threads I've really enjoyed participating in.

And yes, the Digital Photography Forum, IMO, remains the crown jewel of the place and a place that should be a model for how the rest of the site operates.

I will also say that back when I was active in the PPC forum, we tended to have a lot of "Early Intel" discussion. I don't think the moderators really liked it, but a lot of us could answer questions that would get lost or would get a less than helpful "you should upgrade" comment. We'd often get a good discussion going about, for example, the particulars of why you shouldn't max the RAM in an MBP 4,1, only to see the thread moved to the MBP forum where it would get lost.

For years, a bunch of us asked for an Early Intel forum, and were consistently ignored or told it was "well served" by the relevant areas on other sites. One finally arrived, which is welcome but IMO about 5 years too late.

AutomaticApple

Site Champ
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
We do our share of complaining here so I thought I would start something up where we can discuss what we actually like(d) about them. Many of us have spent a lot of years there participating and some still do. For me it's the photography forum, tons of great content and I've made most of the friends we see here today on that site so there's that.

I'm just not as into the Apple news the way I once was but it's still probably the best source you'll find on the internet.
I assume this thread is to calm the nerves of you know who?

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I assume this thread is to calm the nerves of you know who?
Not at all. We've all also had positive experiences going back many years there and this thread is nothing more than discussion around that.

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I got my start on MR in 2014 in the PowerPC forum. It was a fun time of just making things work and also building a collection. It's a very different atmosphere now, but I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.

The Car Thread in Community Discussions started great and I've had a lot of fun there. Unfortunately it has also been taken over by one loudmouth, but there's still a lot of good discussion in it.

There have been several other long running threads I've really enjoyed participating in.

And yes, the Digital Photography Forum, IMO, remains the crown jewel of the place and a place that should be a model for how the rest of the site operates.

I will also say that back when I was active in the PPC forum, we tended to have a lot of "Early Intel" discussion. I don't think the moderators really liked it, but a lot of us could answer questions that would get lost or would get a less than helpful "you should upgrade" comment. We'd often get a good discussion going about, for example, the particulars of why you shouldn't max the RAM in an MBP 4,1, only to see the thread moved to the MBP forum where it would get lost.

For years, a bunch of us asked for an Early Intel forum, and were consistently ignored or told it was "well served" by the relevant areas on other sites. One finally arrived, which is welcome but IMO about 5 years too late.
Now that everyone has a really decent camera on their phone it's a great forum, I was glad to see them add the media addition for Xenforo as well, that forum is a regular daily stop even when I'm not participating.

Runs For Fun

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it’s probably the best Apple news source. That’s usually where I get all my Apple news from. It’s also the most active Apple forum around it would seem. I have found useful information in the technical forums there.

Top Bottom