Good news for “gig” workers

SuperMatt

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I thought the ballot measure passed in CA regarding gig workers was severely flawed and terrible for workers. So I’m quite happy to see this news:

I am glad to see it ruled unconstitutional. IMO, the ballot measure passed for 2 reasons.
1. Uber and Lyft spent millions on advertising
2. Many became convinced a cheap service would go away if they didn’t pass the measure.

I believe that Uber and Lyft are only cheap because they are riding a wave of investment income paired with paying drivers below minimum wage. At some point, if they have forced out enough competitors, they will raise prices and those profits will reimburse the venture capitalists. If the VC starts to run out or the drivers are treated fairly, the prices will go up. At that point, people will start looking to public transportation or traditional taxi services again… and Uber and Lyft will have a very hard time staying in business.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought the ballot measure passed in CA regarding gig workers was severely flawed and terrible for workers. So I’m quite happy to see this news:

Wow! I wish the old PRSI threads were still up so I could copy all the liberals who blasted me over my opposition to the law in the first place. ;)

DT

Turkey in a Can
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe that Uber and Lyft are only cheap because they are riding a wave of investment income paired with paying drivers below minimum wage. At some point, if they have forced out enough competitors, they will raise prices and those profits will reimburse the venture capitalists. If the VC starts to run out or the drivers are treated fairly, the prices will go up. At that point, people will start looking to public transportation or traditional taxi services again… and Uber and Lyft will have a very hard time staying in business.

Yep, their business model is only sustainable if they're fucking someone over.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Wow! I wish the old PRSI threads were still up so I could copy all the liberals who blasted me over my opposition to the law in the first place. ;)
I was never onboard with that law and IMO all those people voted against their own best interests.

OP
SuperMatt

SuperMatt

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I can see why somebody who regularly used Uber would support the law. Uber threatened to stop operating in the state, and its regular users use it because it’s a cheap and convenient way to get around. The problem is: the prices are low for one reason: to kill all competition, at which point they plan to crank up the price. The way they maintain the low prices are: burning through venture capital and screwing over the drivers.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I was actually shocked when it passed and my first thought was I guess the rich CA masses really show up to vote.

This also reminds me of a recent article about our hatred of the poor which included the misperception that the majority of poor and homeless don't have a job. Most of them do in fact have a job.

OP
SuperMatt

SuperMatt

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I was actually shocked when it passed and my first thought was I guess the rich CA masses really show up to vote.

This also reminds me of a recent article about our hatred of the poor which included the misperception that the majority of poor and homeless don't have a job. Most of them do in fact have a job.
Don’t discount the value of $200 million in advertising all aimed at just one ballot measure in one state.

Top Bottom