GOP bracing for Trump indictment soon after Election Day

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Republican aides and strategists privately expect Attorney General Merrick Garland to pursue an indictment of former President Trump within 60 to 90 days after Election Day, predicting the window for prosecuting Trump will close once the 2024 presidential campaign gains momentum.

Republican aides on Capitol Hill and veteran party strategists emphasize they don’t have any inside information on what Garland might do, but they say the attorney general is under heavy pressure from Democrats to act and the deadline for pursuing an indictment is fast approaching.

GOP aides also warn that an indictment of Trump by the Biden administration would further polarize the nation and likely strengthen Trump’s support from the Republican Party’s base as the former president and his allies would frame the Department of Justice’s prosecution as a political witch hunt.

“A couple of weeks after the election, I assume that Garland will indict Trump,” said one veteran Republican aide, expressing a sentiment shared by several other GOP aides and strategists.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

lizkat

Reaction score
Republican aides on Capitol Hill and veteran party strategists emphasize they don’t have any inside information on what Garland might do, but they say the attorney general is under heavy pressure from Democrats to act and the deadline for pursuing an indictment is fast approaching.

Rs only wish Garland would pay attention to them instead of to evidence. It's true though that Democrats are starting to pressure him to act. Not sure why he should pay mind to them either if he is not ready to bring a case.

It does sicken me to think that Trump might be able to escape consequence for his criminality. He has blown off the whole idea of our rule of law for decades, by word and deed, figuring money and celebrity exempt him... even as he continually attempts to use that same rule of law to obstruct application of justice to himself.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Rs only wish Garland would pay attention to them instead of to evidence. It's true though that Democrats are starting to pressure him to act. Not sure why he should pay mind to them either if he is not ready to bring a case.

It does sicken me to think that Trump might be able to escape consequence for his criminality. He has blown off the whole idea of our rule of law for decades, by word and deed, figuring money and celebrity exempt him... even as he continually attempts to use that same rule of law to obstruct application of justice to himself.
I would be happy if the DoJ and He made some iron clad agreement that he would quietly go away. No more meddling or putting out bombastic statements. Just shut up and retire... Enjoy the Millions/Billion that you milked out of the whole thing. Go away for good, and we will not prosecute. Never will happen, just like the indictment is probably a pipe dream.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. But it would go along with the whole TFG experience. You know what word I cannot stand after hearing since 2015? Unprecedented!

I avoided using that one. I think they let his nonsense go too far to just let it go. You want the point of "fuck off somewhere and we won't prosecute" to be in more reasonable territory than this.

lizkat

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. But it would go along with the whole TFG experience. You know what word I cannot stand after hearing since 2015? Unprecedented!

Too true. Unprecedented turned into Trump's "I don't care, we're doing it this way" on so many levels.

One trouble with any kind of deal-cutting with Trump and the current DoJ --past the fact that Trump has only contempt for rule of law to begin with-- is that Trump appears incapable of sticking to any agreement. His impulsivity and malleability were both likely a large part of what appealed to the GOP when they began to accept the idea of his nomination in 2016. He's a big picture guy and they knew they could run rings around him at detail level. Of course they may not have realized he'd be trying to run rings around the Constitution at the levels he eventually did.

The negative impact of Trump goes far beyond whatever shady or actually criminal endeavors took place. The undermining of governance --under rule of law, yes, but also protocol, norms, guidelines-- was inevitable (and on initiatives like those of Steve Bannon, sometimes the whole point).

It could take the USA decades to recover, if recovery is even possible. We are now dealing with some really terrible precedents set during Trump's presidency, like it or not.

The only way for history to find that the USA then rejected those bad practices is for the DoJ to prosecute Trump for any criminal offenses he may have committed. That's the one way of saying: "Plenty shady or downright illegal stuff went down here while that guy had political power, and to extent possible under law and with evidence, we're not having it."

I don't think cutting a deal would make that clear, even if Trump promised to climb onto his plane and take off for Dubai or wherever and never come back. He needs to face the music any other American would face for trying to slide past the law over and over again.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't know AG Garland that well. He hasn't yet been over to the house for dinner and conversation.

Still... I just can't see him cutting any kind of deal with trump. That would be his legacy. And not that he'd give two trucks about legacy, he just strikes me as someone that is far too principled to even consider that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't know AG Garland that well. He hasn't yet been over to the house for dinner and conversation.

Still... I just can't see him cutting any kind of deal with trump. That would be his legacy. And not that he'd give two trucks about legacy, he just strikes me as someone that is far too principled to even consider that.
Matt called it here early on, stating he would take his time but would eventually get it done, even though I didn't buy it at the time in the end it seems that he was right. Garland seems like the sort of guy who is methodical and wants to apply the law equally regardless of who it is, and isn't taking anyone's bullshit ideology over the application of the actual law.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Matt called it here early on, stating he would take his time but would eventually get it done, even though I didn't buy it at the time in the end it seems that he was right. Garland seems like the sort of guy who is methodical and wants to apply the law equally regardless of who it is, and isn't taking anyone's bullshit ideology over the application of the actual law.

Trump’s actions are so egregious - and not just the act of taking documents home, but then obstructing and lying about it with his usual public bluster and bravado - I think the DoJ will be far more aggressive than we may have thought. Trump just didn’t commit a crime, he was actively f*****g with them afterwards, almost giving them no choice but to investigate and indict him.

And there are witnesses, and now lawyers will need to save their own asses. They also back people into corners, like the worker who helped move the documents. They questioned him, he said he had no knowledge. Then they play a tape of him moving boxes, now he’s confessed and is cooperating. He’s not the only one, and the DoJ has more up their sleeves. And you can bet they will not take on a case like this without the absolute utmost confidence. Hell, they never would have launched a raid on Mar-A-Lago if they weren’t confident they would find what they were after. And they did, they called it 100%.

He should be quietly cuffed and put in the back of a black SUV and driven to jail, and put under house arrest until his trial, and have to ask the court anytime he wants to go anywhere.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's true though that Democrats are starting to pressure him to act. Not sure why he should pay mind to them either if he is not ready to bring a case.

I agree he should be immune from pressure. But he also has to live with those pressuring him.

I think he has a couple of months to do it otherwise he may be fighting his own impeachment.

lizkat

Reaction score
I agree he should be immune from pressure. But he also has to live with those pressuring him.

I think he has a couple of months to do it otherwise he may be fighting his own impeachment.

Merrick Garland in an honorable political climate would currently be serving as an associate justice on the US Supreme Court and would have gotten there with bipartisan approval of the US Senate.

Top Bottom
1 2